Allergen mitigation

Old September 18th 05, 11:20 PM
Rebecca Root

Default Allergen mitigation

Although I am fortunate to not have any cat allergies, I have close
friends who are very allergic, and I'd like to find ways to make it
more comfortable for them to visit in my home. Two things work in our
favor: first, my cats are very shy, so they hide upstairs when guests
are over, and second, I've recently got things under control enough to
guarantee a recently (but not too recently) well-cleaned house when I
have guests. A third thing I've just thought of: my cats are both short
haired and don't shed much.

Nevertheless, my friends come doped on Benadril and even then are
somewhat miserable before the evening is over. (They don't complain,
but the red eyes and congestion are unmistakeable)So I got wondering if
there is something more I could do. For example, is there any kind of
spray product that would temporarily neutralize allergens in the
environment? Or is there some kind of meter that would read levels, so
at least I could tell if things are getting better? As it is, we mostly
get together at their place, but I'd love to have them over more and
know that they were comfortable. Any tips?

Old September 19th 05, 01:20 AM
5cats

Rebecca Root wrote:

[...]

A HEPA air filter should help, though they are kinda spendy ($100+) for
something you'll only use occasionaly.

Old September 19th 05, 01:27 AM
mlbriggs

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:20:41 -0500, 5cats wrote:

Rebecca Root wrote:

[...]

I have electrostatic air cleaners on my furnace. I also have roomsized
aircleaners in all room. Used all the time helps control dust in the
house. MLB

Old September 19th 05, 01:31 AM
Joe Canuck

Rebecca Root wrote:

[...]

HEPA air filters.
Vacuuming and cleaning on a regular basis, every coupla days.
Claritin.

Old September 19th 05, 01:37 AM
Phil P.

"Rebecca Root" wrote in message
Although I am fortunate to not have any cat allergies, I have close
friends who are very allergic, and I'd like to find ways to make it
more comfortable for them to visit in my home. Two things work in our
favor: first, my cats are very shy, so they hide upstairs when guests
are over, and second, I've recently got things under control enough to
guarantee a recently (but not too recently) well-cleaned house when I
have guests. A third thing I've just thought of: my cats are both short
haired and don't shed much.

Its not the cat's fur that some people are allergic to, its the protein, Fel
d1 that's secreted from the cat's sebaceous and salivary glands. When Fel
d1 dries it becomes airborne and also attaches to almost every surface in
the home. That's why your friends become symptomatic even though your cats
are nowhere near them.

Nevertheless, my friends come doped on Benadril and even then are
somewhat miserable before the evening is over. (They don't complain,
but the red eyes and congestion are unmistakeable)So I got wondering if
there is something more I could do. For example, is there any kind of
spray product that would temporarily neutralize allergens in the
environment? Or is there some kind of meter that would read levels, so
at least I could tell if things are getting better? As it is, we mostly
get together at their place, but I'd love to have them over more and
know that they were comfortable. Any tips?

I used to think wiping the cat down with Allerpet helped reduce the amount
of Fel d1 in the environment- but it really doesn't. Some cats secrete more
Fel d1 than others. So, if your cat happens by chance to be one of the cats
that secrete very little Fel d1, Allerpet would seem to work- although you'd
probably get the same results from wiping the cat down every day with
spring water without putting all those chemicals on your cats.

About the only things you can do are vacuum your home- including furniture-
extra-well when you know your allergic friends are coming over and run a
couple of high-volume HEPA air filters that clean the entire room air at
least 6 times an hour. You could also hand out N95 particulate surgical
masks at the door. ;-)

Good luck,

Phil

Old September 19th 05, 01:41 AM
Topaz

"5cats" wrote in message
Rebecca Root wrote:

[...]

Use occasionally? I use mine all the time. They are the only air filters
that
work on the molecular level. The filters NOT to use are the ones that
generate ozone as they actually damage the lungs--not something an allergic
person (or anyone) needs. (The "Ionic Breeze" is one of the latter.)

Ditto what Joe said about Claritin, it has proven to work much better
than Benedryl without the drowsiness.

Old September 19th 05, 04:31 AM
Rebecca Root

On 2005-09-18 18:41:31 -0600, "Topaz" said:

A HEPA air filter should help, though they are kinda spendy ($100+) for
something you'll only use occasionaly.

Use occasionally? I use mine all the time. They are the only air filters
that
work on the molecular level. The filters NOT to use are the ones that
generate ozone as they actually damage the lungs--not something an allergic
person (or anyone) needs. (The "Ionic Breeze" is one of the latter.)

Ditto what Joe said about Claritin, it has proven to work much better
than Benedryl without the drowsiness.

Thanks for all the tips, folks. A couple of follow-up questions:

- Are HEPA air filters a free-standing device or do you put them on a
furnace? My heat is baseboard hot water, not forced air, so I'd need a
separate, free standing device as there are no air ducts in the house.

- Is Claritin an over the counter thing? I could have it on hand, if so,

- Regarding Phil's comments about the allergen being in the saliva:
that makes me think that what I most need to add to my routine is
wiping down all the hard surfaces with a damp cloth. I guess I
knew the problem was in the saliva, but always worried most about the
fur that got licked and shed, so I focussed on getting rid of fur by
vacuuming. Since my cats walk on end tables, chair arms and just about
everything else, those area should probably receive cleaning just
before guests arrive.

Old September 19th 05, 04:34 AM
Topaz

"Rebecca Root" wrote

Thanks for all the tips, folks. A couple of follow-up questions:

- Are HEPA air filters a free-standing device or do you put them on a
furnace?

There may be some to use with furnaces but all the ones I have seen
are free standing, either desk or floor models. They work very well.
The cost of the unit--100+ for larger ones--is not the main thing--
the cost of the FILTERS is. A replacement filter can cost $40-50,
and you should replace most every 90 days. (That is the HEPA
part, there is also a foam filter that needs to be cleaned and/or
replaced that is much cheaper.)

?My heat is baseboard hot water, not forced air, so I'd need a
separate, free standing device as there are no air ducts in the house.

Go to Lowes or Walmart and check out what they have. I can vouch
for these filters effectiveness. Also the "white noise" they make in the
bedroom makes falling asleep/shutting out the noises of the house
easier. They are great. Spend the $80-$100 on a big floor model
for your bedroom and living room, and you will be set.

- Is Claritin an over the counter thing? I could have it on hand, if so,

It is. Get the generic loratidine and it will cost about 1/4 the price.
OTC 10 mg Claritin is $1 a pill, but Walmart and Kroger and
many drug chains have loratidine 10 mgs (same exact drug) for
about .25 a pill. I paid $7.00 for 30 at Walmart, as opposed to
the $30 for 30 Claritin would cost. The children's dose is 5 mgs.
It is a wonder drug. NO sleepiness, no drying out of nose and
throat, just great allergy relief.

- Regarding Phil's comments about the allergen being in the saliva:
that makes me think that what I most need to add to my routine is
wiping down all the hard surfaces with a damp cloth. I guess I
knew the problem was in the saliva, but always worried most about the
fur that got licked and shed, so I focussed on getting rid of fur by
vacuuming. Since my cats walk on end tables, chair arms and just about
everything else, those area should probably receive cleaning just
before guests arrive.

A HEPA in the living room and vacuuming should be just fine.

Old September 19th 05, 04:40 AM
5cats

On 2005-09-18 18:41:31 -0600, "Topaz" said:

A HEPA air filter should help, though they are kinda spendy ($100+)
for something you'll only use occasionaly.

Use occasionally? I use mine all the time. They are the only air
filters that
work on the molecular level. The filters NOT to use are the ones that
generate ozone as they actually damage the lungs--not something an
allergic person (or anyone) needs. (The "Ionic Breeze" is one of the
latter.)

Ditto what Joe said about Claritin, it has proven to work much better
than Benedryl without the drowsiness.

Thanks for all the tips, folks. A couple of follow-up questions:

- Are HEPA air filters a free-standing device or do you put them on a
furnace? My heat is baseboard hot water, not forced air, so I'd need a
separate, free standing device as there are no air ducts in the house.

It's a free-standing unit. Nearly everyplace that sells appliances should
carry them.

- Is Claritin an over the counter thing? I could have it on hand, if
so,

Yes, it's OTC.

- Regarding Phil's comments about the allergen being in the saliva:
that makes me think that what I most need to add to my routine is
wiping down all the hard surfaces with a damp cloth. I guess I
knew the problem was in the saliva, but always worried most about the
fur that got licked and shed, so I focussed on getting rid of fur by
vacuuming. Since my cats walk on end tables, chair arms and just about
everything else, those area should probably receive cleaning just
before guests arrive.

One more thought, there are high grade vacuum cleaner bags (HEPA, I
think) that don't allow any of the dust back into the air.

You can google on HEPA and find a ton of info, I've forgotten all the
specs on exactly what it means.
Old September 19th 05, 05:08 AM
Phil P.

Thanks for all the tips, folks. A couple of follow-up questions:

- Are HEPA air filters a free-standing device or do you put them on a
furnace? My heat is baseboard hot water, not forced air, so I'd need a
separate, free standing device as there are no air ducts in the house.

I was referring to free-standing units. Here's an Amazon link of the
different types and styles:

http://tinyurl.com/d8tgk

http://www.comforthouse.com/comfort/readglascasb.html

http://www.comforthouse.com/comfort/honquietcarh.html

You want a model that will clean all the room air at least 6x an hour. Or,
if they're too big, a couple of smaller units. The filters are usually
labeled for the size of the room they're designed for. If your vacuum
cleaner doesn't have a HEPA filter, run the filters at top speed while
you're vacuuming.

You might also want to think about getting a Dyson Vacuum cleaner. They all
have HEPA filters and the "Animal" model is designed for homes with pets. I
have the DC 14 "All Floors" which has the same power and features as the
Animal. The Animal costs about $120 but comes with a Mini Turbine head for
furniture- but the standard furniture attachment that comes with the DC 14
is easier to use. The DC 14 has a telescoping handle that's slides inside a
hose for reaching the ceiling and walls. I think Dyson is about the best
vacuum cleaner there is.

http://www.dyson.com/homepage.asp

- Is Claritin an over the counter thing? I could have it on hand, if so,

OTC

- Regarding Phil's comments about the allergen being in the saliva:
that makes me think that what I most need to add to my routine is
wiping down all the hard surfaces with a damp cloth. I guess I
knew the problem was in the saliva, but always worried most about the
fur that got licked and shed, so I focussed on getting rid of fur by
vacuuming. Since my cats walk on end tables, chair arms and just about
everything else, those area should probably receive cleaning just
before guests arrive.

Although some Fel d1 is secreted in the saliva, much more is secreted by the
sebaceous glands. Wiping down the furniture with a damp rag and rinsing it
frequently is definitely a good idea.

hth,

Phil