My Happy Cat

Old October 7th 05, 12:06 AM
cybercat

Default My Happy Cat

As many of you know, we adopted an obese cat several years ago and recently
put her on a canned-only diet, controlling her portions with vet
supervision.

She is now down to 10 lbs from her original 18. What we did not expect is
how much happier she acts. She sleeps less and cavorts more, seeks out our
other cat for play and even when she is alone rolls around and does
"upside-downy head" and just seems so much more interested in everything. It
is a great change to see in a cat over ten.

It is clear she just feels better in her body--what a great positive effect
of weight loss!!

Old October 7th 05, 01:18 AM
mlbriggs

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 19:06:53 -0400, cybercat wrote:

As many of you know, we adopted an obese cat several years ago and
recently put her on a canned-only diet, controlling her portions with vet
supervision.

She is now down to 10 lbs from her original 18. What we did not expect is
how much happier she acts. She sleeps less and cavorts more, seeks out our
other cat for play and even when she is alone rolls around and does
"upside-downy head" and just seems so much more interested in everything.
It is a great change to see in a cat over ten.

It is clear she just feels better in her body--what a great positive
effect of weight loss!!

What canned food do you feed her? How much? How many times a day?
I'd love to know the details because my porky cat really need to lose some
weight. Thanks for any information you are willing to give. MLB

Old October 7th 05, 01:31 AM
cybercat

"mlbriggs" wrote:

What canned food do you feed her? How much? How many times a day?
I'd love to know the details because my porky cat really need to lose some
weight. Thanks for any information you are willing to give. MLB

I feed her any canned food that has as its first ingredient real meat, fish,
or
poultry--not byproducts. I feed her twice a day about twelve hours apart.
Her favorite is Fancy Feast but she eats PetGuard and others, whatever is
on sale. (She will not touch Iams or Science Diet but will eat everything
else.) As for how much, I began with a bit too much and tapered slowly,
reducing her amount by 1/4 at a time. This is what my vet
suggested for her. Next time you take your baby in , ask your vet. I am sure
it will depend on the cat--their size, age, and metabolism, among other
things.

It was VERY hard at first because she is very assertive
and would slap at our feet when we walked by if she thought she should
be fed!! But after a while she stopped that and got used to the schedule.
We used to free feed her. Good luck!

Old October 7th 05, 04:27 AM
Rhonda

Oh, the Catkins diet.

That's quite a large weight-loss. Congrats to both of you!

Rhonda

Old October 7th 05, 07:52 PM
cybercat

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Oh, the Catkins diet.

That's quite a large weight-loss. Congrats to both of you!

Thank you! My vet is really pleased, too. It is a good feeling to do
something that not only will help the kitty live longer but also makes
her feel better. I wish I could do this for my human friends!

Old October 8th 05, 01:30 AM
Kitkat

cybercat wrote:

Thank you! My vet is really pleased, too. It is a good feeling to do
something that not only will help the kitty live longer but also makes
her feel better. I wish I could do this for my human friends!

I wish you could too!

stupid liking food so much!

pam
Old December 14th 05, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 00:18:22 +0000, mlbriggs wrote:

[...]

My computer has a glitch or something. These are old posts and I don't
know why they pop up now. Please excuse. MLB