Dyson vacuum

Old October 22nd 05, 10:41 AM
Phil P.

Default Dyson vacuum

"Diane" wrote in message
For those of you (Phil?) who've bought Dyson vacuums, how hard are they
on the carpet? I'm asking because I rent, I don't have the world's best
carpet, I know it needs to be cleaned with a really good vacuum (think
cat fur, human hair, and kitty litter, aside from dander and dust), but
I'm afraid the Dyson might suck it off the floor. Just wondering before
I spend a boatload. Thank you.

The Dysons are powerful- but not that powerful! LOL! I use mine on area
rugs that aren't attached to the floor. The machine itself holds the carpet
down while you're vacuuming. The machines have a vacuum release brush
control so you can turn the brush off on delicate carpets and an auto
carpet-height adjustment.

I recommend the DC 14 All Floors or the DC 14 Low Reach- they have the same
power as the Animal- 270 air watts. The only difference between the models
are the attachments. The Animal comes with a mini turbo head, a low-reach
attachment, Zorb groomer and bag of carpet cleaning powder. The only
attachment you really need is the low-reach for getting under furniture- it
comes with the DC 14 Low Reach or you can buy it separately for the DC 14
All Floors for $49.00. The standard attachments that come with the unit
handle furniture and everything else with no problem. With the money you
save on the All Floors or Low Reach, you can by an extended 5 year warranty.

Even with a full bin, they don't lose and suction. They also clean the air
while you're vacuuming. Great unit.

Phil

Old October 22nd 05, 03:07 PM
cybercat

"Phil P." wrote

I use mine on area
rugs that aren't attached to the floor. The machine itself holds the
carpet
down while you're vacuuming.

Wow! What a great feature! Sucking up area rugs is the most annoying thng
about vacuuming. I'm getting one.

Old October 22nd 05, 03:09 PM
cybercat

"Diane" wrote in message
In article ,
"Phil P." wrote:

I recommend the DC 14 All Floors or the DC 14 Low Reach- they have the
same
power as the Animal- 270 air watts.

Thanks! I remember you saying the Animal wasn't necessary -- that the
main difference is the attachments (I don't need a lot in that
direction.) Ack! I'd originally looked at the 07 -- $100 more for the
14. But I suppose after I see the gunk it lifts it'll be worth it. Thank
you.

Get the Dyson, but also consider getting a new apartment. Life
is too short for cheap carpet.

Old October 22nd 05, 03:35 PM
cybercat

"Diane" wrote in message
In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

Get the Dyson, but also consider getting a new apartment. Life
is too short for cheap carpet.

Oh, it's not as bad as all that.

See, now, it doesn't look bad at all. I believe it was your photos I was
looking at when I thought to myself, "look at all that nice carpeting, bet
that's nice on the toes," because I have mostly hardwoods and although
they have their advantages, being cushy is not one of them.

It's a GREAT apartment, and they'll
drag me out of here kicking and screaming. And you can't beat the views.

Well, that's good. But if you think the carpet is cheap they should replace
it.
I am not materialistic, but I have a thing about the quality of things we
have
to actually touch every day, several times a day. Gotta have nice
carpet/floors,
good bedding, a decent bag and shoes. Clothes that are not scratchy and fit.
That kind of thing. They help a lot on the bad days, you know? But not
nearly as much as a full-figured, purring cat on your chest. You have
that part covered.

Old October 23rd 05, 02:00 AM
Phil P.

"Diane" wrote in message
In article ,
"Phil P." wrote:

I recommend the DC 14 All Floors or the DC 14 Low Reach- they have the

same
power as the Animal- 270 air watts.

Thanks! I remember you saying the Animal wasn't necessary -- that the
main difference is the attachments (I don't need a lot in that
direction.) Ack! I'd originally looked at the 07 -- $100 more for the
14. But I suppose after I see the gunk it lifts it'll be worth it. Thank
you.

Actually, if you can find an 07 Low Reach- that would probably be the best
deal. It comes with the only optional attachment you'll really need- the
low reach tool- for getting under furniture. The standard attachments that
come with the unit handle everything else. I think the mini turbo head is a
waste of money unless you have velour upholstery or your floor has a lot of
tight corners. The head doesn't have a brush- just widely spaced groups of
bristles- So, I don't know how well it actually works. I wasn't impressed.
Maybe some who has one can tell you how well it works.

The 07 line has been discontinued and replaced by the 14 line. The only
differences are the 14 line has a telescoping wand whereas the 07 has a
reversible wand, the canister on the 14 is a little smaller than the 07 and
the filter is a little bigger. Same power and suction- 270 air watts.

Here's an 07 Low Reach for $299:
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Dyson_DC0...~latest_prices

Phil

Old October 23rd 05, 02:14 AM
MaryL

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Diane" wrote in message
In article ,
"Phil P." wrote:

[...]

The mini turbine is wonderful (although I'm not sure if we're talking about
the same thing -- I have seen reference to both mini-turbo and mini
turbine). The attachment I have is a powerful rotating brush, and it
cleans cat hair from furniture almost in an instant. I don't use it on
floors, only on furniture.

MaryL

Old October 23rd 05, 05:26 PM
Phil P.

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Diane" wrote in message
In article ,
"Phil P." wrote:

[...]

Yup. You're right. Its called "mini turbine head"

http://www.dyson.com/range/access_fr...=DC14-LOWREACH

I saw the attachment- it doesn't have a full brush- just sparsely spaced
groups of bristles. The flat attachment that comes with the unit works just
as well on upholstered furniture. Definitely not worth $70 as an option or
the $50 that it adds to the price of the Animal. Try using the flat
attachment that comes with the unit, just for the hell of it, to see how
well it works.

Phil