Does your cat come when you call it?

Old October 30th 05, 05:36 AM
John Doe

Default Does your cat come when you call it?

Mine do.

If I want Kiki's attention away from food/similar, I have to be stern
about it. But if I want Kiki to come when she is not busy, all I have
to do is gently call her and maybe stretch out my arms in a welcoming
fashion.

Kitty does too, but maybe not as easily.
Old October 30th 05, 09:03 AM
LarryW

Currently both of my cats respond to their names and selected phrases
like "din-din time" & other phrases they associate with corresponding
activities - "night-night," "playtime." When I say "pick it up," they
both fly in different directions usually. When they don't run away,
you can be sure that they DO want you to pick them up.

LarryW

Old October 30th 05, 12:59 PM
Joe Canuck

John Doe wrote:

Mine do.

If I want Kiki's attention away from food/similar, I have to be stern
about it. But if I want Kiki to come when she is not busy, all I have
to do is gently call her and maybe stretch out my arms in a welcoming
fashion.

Kitty does too, but maybe not as easily.

Absolutely.

When I have been out, mine will come running to greet me when she hears
the outside door opening.

No matter where I am in the house, she will come running when I call.
However, sometimes she plays tricks on me. I will call... no Molly. I
will find out a few minutes later that she was hiding out behind a chair
or something with a head peeking out looking right at me as though to
say... "whatdaya want? I'm right here!"
Old October 30th 05, 04:05 PM
chas

Dogs come when they are called.

Cats take a message and get back to you.

chas

Old October 30th 05, 04:15 PM
.oO rach Oo.

It depends. They will both respond to their names or a clicking sound I make
with my tongue ( like a tut tut tut noise) or the word TUNA. Otherwise, if
they aren't interested in moving, they ignore me.

--
..oO rach Oo.

m...

Old October 30th 05, 07:06 PM
John Doe

"whitershadeofpale" wrote:
John Doe wrote:

Mine do.
If I want Kiki's attention away from food/similar, I have to be
stern about it. But if I want Kiki to come when she is not busy,
all I have to do is gently call her and maybe stretch out my arms
in a welcoming fashion.
Kitty does too, but maybe not as easily.

l i a r

Your lack of faith troubles me, young Skywalker
Old October 30th 05, 07:30 PM
Rebecca Root

Basically, no. If my calling happens when they'd otherwise like to be
with me, they'll come, but they can be across the room from me and not
come over if I call them. They have to perceive some immediate
advantage first.

Some examples of calling that work:

When I come home, they usually meet me at the door having heard the car
pull up. If they happen not to have heard (eg asleep) they will come
running when I call. Usually at home they gravitate to the same floor
of the house as me, but will sometimes be separated for awhile if they
fall asleep and I move on. If I call then, they'll come. Any calling
that involves waving a favorite toy usually works.

Calling that almost never works:
Cat already elsewhere in the same room as me, and me not offering any
sign of special treats or attention, just calling name.

Calling that never works:
Cat in the middle of doing something fun, naughty or both. Only a big
"No" works then, and that doesn't count as calling them.

A cat I used to have, named Thackeray, would call me. He was an
indoor/outdoor cat and would always give a loud "meaow" when he first
came in - it was a particular meaow that meant me. I'd call back
"Thackie-cat" from whereever I was in the house and he'd come running.
In warm weather, he'd usually be out when I was at work, and he
definately knew the sound of my car and would come to the front steps
when he heard me coming home. While I had him, I sold that car and got
a new one and he looked reproachful at me for tricking him with a
different car. It took him about 3 days to learn the new car sound.

Old October 30th 05, 09:29 PM
whitershadeofpale

John Doe wrote:
"whitershadeofpale" wrote:
John Doe wrote:

Mine do.
If I want Kiki's attention away from food/similar, I have to be
stern about it. But if I want Kiki to come when she is not busy,
all I have to do is gently call her and maybe stretch out my arms
in a welcoming fashion.
Kitty does too, but maybe not as easily.

l i a r

Your lack of faith troubles me, young Skywalker

well i wuz gettin glow on cash so I had to donate a few midichlorians
it's going for $2,000.00 a thimble full these days

Old October 30th 05, 11:11 PM
Paul M. Cook

"John Doe" wrote in message
Mine do.

If I want Kiki's attention away from food/similar, I have to be stern
about it. But if I want Kiki to come when she is not busy, all I have
to do is gently call her and maybe stretch out my arms in a welcoming
fashion.

Kitty does too, but maybe not as easily.

One of my cats does. He is very good about that. I encourage the behavior
by always giving him a reason to come running. A big hug, a lot of petting,
cat treats. He always knows something fun will be waiting for him.

The other cat - he looks at me and thinks "yeah right pal, dream on."

Paul