Cat that licks edges.

Old November 6th 05, 07:54 PM
Angela St.Aubin

Default Cat that licks edges.

Hi,
One of my cats does something that has always confused me,. so I figured I
would ask about it here.
He licks things. I know a lot of cats do, but I dont mean food things, or
plastic, which he does, but he is constantly licking the edges of things. Of
anything, a book, a table, a wall, anything with a definite straight edge.
No matter what material it is made of, and he does it for minutes at a time.
I dont understand why he does this. Does it just feel nice on his tongue? It
sure doesn't seem like it would.
Thanks

Old November 6th 05, 08:27 PM
cybercat

"Angela St.Aubin" wrote in message
Hi,
One of my cats does something that has always confused me,. so I figured I
would ask about it here.
He licks things. I know a lot of cats do, but I dont mean food things, or
plastic, which he does, but he is constantly licking the edges of things.

Of
anything, a book, a table, a wall, anything with a definite straight edge.

Look closely. Is he actually licking or just rubbing his face on these
things?
(Around here we call it "lipping" things.") If the latter, he is marking
things with
the scent glands he has in the sides of his face and mouth.

Old November 6th 05, 08:43 PM

he is constantly licking the edges of
things. Of anything, a book, a table, a
wall, anything with a definite straight
edge. No matter what material it is made
of, and he does it for minutes at a time.

Has your cat tested negative for leukemia? If so, has he ever been
tested for Hemobartonella (Feline Infectious Anemia)? If not, it would
be worth getting him tested as this kind of behavior is often correlated
with anemia. I recently worked with a woman whose cat exhibited the same
behavior yours does, and he did test positive for both Leukemia and
Hemobartonella and died a few weeks later. I don't mean to alarm you,
but it is always best to rule out these things before assuming it's just
an odd behavior. If it's not health related, it could be a form of Pica.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old November 7th 05, 03:57 PM
Angela St.Aubin

wrote in message
he is constantly licking the edges of
things. Of anything, a book, a table, a
wall, anything with a definite straight
edge. No matter what material it is made
of, and he does it for minutes at a time.

Has your cat tested negative for leukemia? If so, has he ever been
tested for Hemobartonella (Feline Infectious Anemia)? If not, it would
be worth getting him tested as this kind of behavior is often correlated
with anemia. I recently worked with a woman whose cat exhibited the same
behavior yours does, and he did test positive for both Leukemia and
Hemobartonella and died a few weeks later. I don't mean to alarm you,
but it is always best to rule out these things before assuming it's just
an odd behavior. If it's not health related, it could be a form of Pica.

Megan

No, he has not been tested for either of those things, at least not recently
anyways.
What do you mean by pica?
He has been doing this since I got him, it is not a new thing, he has always
licked edges of everything.
I will have to have the vet test him when I can manage it.

Old November 7th 05, 03:57 PM
Angela St.Aubin

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Angela St.Aubin" wrote in message
Hi,
One of my cats does something that has always confused me,. so I figured

would ask about it here.
He licks things. I know a lot of cats do, but I dont mean food things,

or
plastic, which he does, but he is constantly licking the edges of

things.
Of
anything, a book, a table, a wall, anything with a definite straight

edge.

Look closely. Is he actually licking or just rubbing his face on these
things?
(Around here we call it "lipping" things.") If the latter, he is marking
things with
the scent glands he has in the sides of his face and mouth.

No, he is 100% definitely licking them. I can see his tongue going and hear
it. I mean, he, like all cats, also rubs his cheeks on things too, but this
is something different he does.

Old November 7th 05, 04:25 PM
cybercat

"Angela St.Aubin" wrote

No, he is 100% definitely licking them. I can see his tongue going and

hear
it. I mean, he, like all cats, also rubs his cheeks on things too, but

this
is something different he does.

I see. I thought it was worth asking. The "pica" Megan mentioned is
the same thing you hear about when you hear about pregnant women
and kids eating dirt and paint chips. It is a disorder caused by a vitamin
deficiency. There was a cat someone posted about in this group who
kept licking the painted driveway, and he was indeed dead in a matter
of days from whatever the deficiency is. Your cat needs vetting for sure,
but I have to say, the "pica" possibility seems slim because your cat
only goes for things with defined edges, which is certainly a shape thing
and not a content matter. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old November 7th 05, 05:18 PM
No More Retail

Pica means basically eating non-food items . On a personally note I would
take the cat to the vet for a routine examination. This is one of those
behaviors that either is benign or a tale tail of something serious

Below is a link about it

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ou..._as_feces.html

Old November 7th 05, 10:27 PM
PawsForThought

cybercat wrote:
(Around here we call it "lipping" things.")

LOL...we say "sharpening her (or his) face"

Old November 8th 05, 04:35 AM
cybercat

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
oups.com...

cybercat wrote:
(Around here we call it "lipping" things.")

LOL...we say "sharpening her (or his) face"

lol! I like that. My baby tabby MUST lip things when she
is petted. It is like a reflex/compulsion.

Neurotic Cat licks himself bloody. Scott Davis Cat health & behaviour 7 May 30th 05 02:23 AM
hovering at the edges pam Cat community 94 November 12th 04 07:12 PM
Bonnie Licks Bev Cat anecdotes 10 July 3rd 04 08:36 PM
Licks plastic bags and pictures NevaYouMindWhoItAint Cat health & behaviour 6 May 11th 04 05:42 AM
Cat licks plastic bags NevaYouMindWhoItAint Cat health & behaviour 6 May 8th 04 04:38 PM