Can your cat make you crazy?

Old November 9th 05, 02:54 AM
Elizabeth Blake

Default Can your cat make you crazy?

http://www.nydailynews.com//front/st...p-309552c.html

Does this explain that crazy lady in Apt. 5B?

BY JORDAN LITE
DAILY NEWS HEALTH WRITER

Can your cat make you crazy?
Dr. Fuller Torrey is studying whether a parasite in Fluffy's droppings
causes schizophrenia, a mental illness that strikes 2.2 million Americans
and is characterized by hallucinations, delusions and trouble regulating
emotions.

The Washington-area psychiatrist has found that people with
schizophrenia were more likely to have had pet cats as young children, or
their mothers kept the animals during their pregnancies. Torrey is now
testing antibiotics against the feline parasite Toxoplasma gondii to treat
schizophrenia, according to an article in the December issue of Esquire. "My
wife thinks I'm probably ultimately going to be assassinated by [cat
lovers]," Torrey told the Daily News yesterday. Still, "Not only cats, but
virtually all animals carry transmissible agents, and some carry
transmissible agents that have had profound implications for the human
race."

Torrey, president of the Stanley Medical Research Institute, believes
that swallowing or breathing parasitic spores from cat waste causes
schizophrenia. While hardly conventional wisdom, his theory is part of
scientists' growing interest in the potential environmental influences on
the development of mental illnesses, said Dr. Donna Anthony, clinical
program director for psychotic disorders at New York-Presbyterian
Hospital/Westchester.

While today most experts believe that schizophrenia is inherited, some
psychiatrists of the past blamed it on a patient's upbringing.

"I don't think the cause [from cats] is so direct, but certainly all
the research into possible contributions of [infections] before birth and in
early childhood bringing out a predisposition to schizophrenia is a
productive line of research," Anthony said.

Torrey advises parents not to buy pet cats for young children, and to
cover their sandboxes to prevent cats from using them as litter boxes.

But his theory shouldn't prompt cat lovers to abandon their furry
friends, said Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman, chairman of psychiatry at Columbia
University Medical Center.

"I wouldn't get rid of my pet just on the basis of this theoretical
speculation - unless you are looking for a reason to get rid of it anyway,"
Lie-berman said.

Originally published on November 8, 2005

Old November 9th 05, 03:12 AM
No More Retail

I think I am going to go have to pay this person a visit.
I think a game of baseball is in order with his head as the ball?
Anyone up for a drive I will pay for the gas ;-)

Old November 9th 05, 03:20 AM
Juls

Oh good god. E Fuller Torrey not only is a fascist (who believes persons
with psychiatric illness, including depression, should be put back in
their place....in state hospitals), he's been trying to promote this
cats cause schizophrenia for years and years.

Fortunately, few people take him seriously these days. He's a crank with
a basement full of brains. There's no evidence for this theory, but he
just can't let it go. Poor guy keeps hoping he's going to be the new
Barry Warren (the researcher who was convinced H. Pylori caused ulcers
and recently won the Nobel Prize for it)

Not shooting the messenger, Elizabeth...I'm glad you posted. I didn't
realize he was still trying to get anyone to listen to this nonsense.
The Daily News is about ten years late with this story.

Juls

p.s. In some circles, he's known as E Fuller Toiletry.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g
Old November 9th 05, 03:25 AM
Juls

In article ,
"No More Retail" wrote:

I think I am going to go have to pay this person a visit.
I think a game of baseball is in order with his head as the ball?
Anyone up for a drive I will pay for the gas ;-)

He's 900 years old, or close to it, if you get my drift. ;-)

Old November 9th 05, 03:42 AM
Karen

On 2005-11-08 21:20:42 -0600, Juls said:

Oh good god. E Fuller Torrey not only is a fascist (who believes
persons with psychiatric illness, including depression, should be put
back in their place....in state hospitals), he's been trying to promote
this cats cause schizophrenia for years and years.

Fortunately, few people take him seriously these days. He's a crank
with a basement full of brains. There's no evidence for this theory,
but he just can't let it go. Poor guy keeps hoping he's going to be the
new Barry Warren (the researcher who was convinced H. Pylori caused
ulcers and recently won the Nobel Prize for it)

Not shooting the messenger, Elizabeth...I'm glad you posted. I didn't
realize he was still trying to get anyone to listen to this nonsense.
The Daily News is about ten years late with this story.

Juls

p.s. In some circles, he's known as E Fuller Toiletry.

Me thinks someone needs to alert the ny daily news that they are really
scratching the depths for their stories.

Old November 9th 05, 04:08 AM
Frank Pittel

I don't know if the can make you crazy. I do know that they can
drive you out of your mind and drive a grown man to drink!! :-)

-------------------
Old November 9th 05, 04:17 AM
No More Retail

Frank that is a woman not a cat it takes at least 2 cats to drive a man
crazy ;-)

Old November 9th 05, 12:09 PM
whitershadeofpale

No More Retail wrote:
Frank that is a woman not a cat it takes at least 2 cats to drive a man
crazy ;-)

My friend takes her little esspresso drinking dog to the vet, she tells
the vet
my dog needs a chill pill

My freind comes back and says, there was nothing wrong with the dog, it
was me!
The vet told her SHE needed a valium, not the dog.

Two for me please! :0

Old November 9th 05, 03:37 PM
Wayne Mitchell

"No More Retail" wrote:

it takes at least 2 cats to drive a man
crazy ;-)

If there is only one cat in the household, he or she can usually
drive the resident slave(s) around the bend unaided. But it
certainly is more fun, for cats and slaves alike, if there are
more cats to share the job.

--

Wayne M.
Old November 9th 05, 05:52 PM
mlbriggs

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote:

[...]

Perhaps he speaks from experience -- his parents had lots of kitties while
"expecting" him. And, of course, he played with kitties from babyhood.
MLB