Rice looking stuff

Old November 11th 05, 12:11 PM
Teddy

Default Rice looking stuff

One of my cats has started leaving what looks like white rice on a chair
that only he uses. Can you tell me what this is and more importantly
what I should do. Scamp is one of 5 indoor/outdoor cats and I have 2
others that are indoor only so I don't want this to spread to the rest.
Thanks

Old November 11th 05, 12:29 PM
whitershadeofpale

Teddy wrote:
One of my cats has started leaving what looks like white rice on a chair
that only he uses. Can you tell me what this is and more importantly
what I should do. Scamp is one of 5 indoor/outdoor cats and I have 2
others that are indoor only so I don't want this to spread to the rest.
Thanks

sounds like tape worms

nothing to be alarmed about, you can get a 2 pill dose (pending on his
weight)
knocks it right out. (around $20 bucks)

Tapeworms come from fleas. (carriers)

It's not rice...hehe

Old November 11th 05, 12:35 PM
Wendy

Your cat probably has a tape worm and you are finding tape worm segments
that are being shed. Collect a few in a jar as evidence (in case the vet
asks how you know the cat has tape worm) and call the vet. He can give you
medication that will get rid of the tapeworm. As this is an inside/outside
cat it's important to treat for fleas pretty much year round as they are the
most common vector for tapeworm in cats.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/tapeworms.html

Old November 11th 05, 12:39 PM
whitershadeofpale

"Teddy" wrote in message

One of my cats has started leaving what looks like white rice on a chair
that only he uses. Can you tell me what this is and more importantly
what I should do. Scamp is one of 5 indoor/outdoor cats and I have 2
others that are indoor only so I don't want this to spread to the rest.
Thanks

How do you feel about OTC solution for this?

They are pretty distinct as far as appearance

Old November 11th 05, 01:03 PM
Teddy

OTC is what I try to use as I've spent a fortune taking cats to the vet.
I didn't intend to have this many cats but...... Anyway, I plan on not
replacing these as they 'leave'. Thank you for your help.

Old November 11th 05, 01:37 PM
Phil P.

"Teddy" wrote in message
OTC is what I try to use as I've spent a fortune taking cats to the vet.
I didn't intend to have this many cats but...... Anyway, I plan on not
replacing these as they 'leave'. Thank you for your help.

OTC wormers are older drugs that were developed years ago and can be very
toxic and irritating to your cat and should be avoided at all costs. Many
deaths in cats have been reported from the use of OTC medications.

If your cat has tapeworms, he needs only *one* Droncit (praziquantel) pill
which is *cheaper*, safer, and more effective than any OTC wormer. Cats can
acquire two types of tapeworms (Taenia and Dipylidium). The former is
acquired from predation of rodents and the latter is flea-vectored. Droncit
kills them both with one dose.

Forget the OTC.

Old November 11th 05, 01:51 PM
.oO rach Oo.

sounds like worms. One of ours had that when she came from the shelter. The
vet took care of it in a two pill , one day session.

--
..oO rach Oo.

Old November 11th 05, 02:00 PM

Phil P. wrote:
If your cat has tapeworms, he needs only *one* Droncit (praziquantel) pill
which is *cheaper*, safer, and more effective than any OTC wormer. Cats can
acquire two types of tapeworms (Taenia and Dipylidium). The former is
acquired from predation of rodents and the latter is flea-vectored. Droncit
kills them both with one dose.

I would swear that a few years ago the vet dosed 1 and 1/2 Droncit (it
was a big cat) initially, then the same dose three weeks later. Now,
even with the shelter cats whom you know are probably heavily infested,
they're only doing one dose.

Droncit *is* probably cheaper than OTC. I don't know what OTC costs,
but the vet sells Droncit at $4 a tablet.

Here's what I don't get. Doesn't Droncit kill tapes, roundworms,
hookworms, everything? Then what's that liquid wormer that vets use on
kittens? And what's the difference between Droncit and Drontal?

Old November 11th 05, 04:26 PM
Juls

In article ,
(Teddy) wrote:

One of my cats has started leaving what looks like white rice on a chair
that only he uses. Can you tell me what this is and more importantly
what I should do. Scamp is one of 5 indoor/outdoor cats and I have 2
others that are indoor only so I don't want this to spread to the rest.
Thanks

Like others said, this is almost certainly a tapeworm. I think they get
it from eating an infected animal, or maybe a flea gives it to them.

I used to have tapeworms when I'd let my pets outdoors. (I don't let
them out anymore because I don't live in the boonies now.) If money is
the concern, you could probably take a stool sample to your vet to be
sure, without taking the cat. That would be cheaper.

But I'd dose everyone. I don't think they catch it from one another, but
they're in the same environment so everyone probably has worms. You also
need to get the stool tested because if they've got tapeworms, they
might have other worms.

I just can't remember how they catch it. If it's animals they eat, you
can't stop the outdoor cats from eating mice, etc. But if it's from
fleas, you need to start flea control.

I may give Phil a fit with this one, but growing up, we used Sevin
powder and it was more effective for flea control than anything. The vet
said it was so safe you could sprinkle it on your cereal. (But this was
the 70s, and it was a rural vet...god only knows how true that was) We
actually put the powder on them and rubbed it into their coats, and then
sprinkled it in the yard.

*If* Sevin isn't toxic, it's good to sprinkle out in the yard to kill
fleas. And then good flea collars or maybe that new thing you put on
their neck. I don't know anything about it (other than it's kind of
expensive), just have seen ads on TV.

Amazing what keeping cats indoors will do. No fleas, no worms.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g
Old November 11th 05, 05:20 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Phil P. wrote:
If your cat has tapeworms, he needs only *one* Droncit (praziquantel)

pill
which is *cheaper*, safer, and more effective than any OTC wormer. Cats

can
acquire two types of tapeworms (Taenia and Dipylidium). The former is
acquired from predation of rodents and the latter is flea-vectored.

Droncit
kills them both with one dose.

I would swear that a few years ago the vet dosed 1 and 1/2 Droncit (it
was a big cat) initially, then the same dose three weeks later. Now,
even with the shelter cats whom you know are probably heavily infested,
they're only doing one dose.

1 1/2 pills (34.5 mg) treats cats over 11 lbs.- The vet probably gave him
1/1/2 pills because he's a big cat. One pill (23 mg) treats cats 5-11 lbs.

Droncit *is* probably cheaper than OTC. I don't know what OTC costs,
but the vet sells Droncit at $4 a tablet.

That's about right. I pay about $175 for a bottle of 50.

Here's what I don't get. Doesn't Droncit kill tapes, roundworms,
hookworms, everything? Then what's that liquid wormer that vets use on
kittens?

Not sure which one you're referring to- oral or injection. Could be Albon-
but its not for tapeworms.

And what's the difference between Droncit and Drontal?

Droncit contails praziquantel- for tapeworms. Drontal contains praziquantel
+ pyrantel pamoate- for tapeworms, hookworms, and ascarids.

Phil