Cardiomyopathy - what's the best course of action for diagnosis?

Old November 11th 05, 10:45 PM
Juls

Default Cardiomyopathy - what's the best course of action for diagnosis?

Jasmine (age about 5-6 months) has been doing some panting after
strenuous exercise and so I've made an appointment to have her checked
for cardiomyopathy.

What I'm wondering is how is this diagnosed? The panting is her only
symptom, so I'm hopeful it's just that she doesn't know when to quit
running.

My vet does not have a sonogram machine. Is a sonogram an absolute must?

Juls

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g
Old November 12th 05, 01:00 AM
Larry

My Sammy has a grade III/VI heart murmur. He then had an electrocardiogram.
That is just an ultrasound with a special machine. The machine can measure
many things like size of heart and the thickness of the heart wall. An
x-ray might show something but an ultrasound would be better.

--
Larry - Owned by ten cats

Old November 12th 05, 01:25 AM
Karen

On 2005-11-11 16:45:32 -0600, Juls said:

Jasmine (age about 5-6 months) has been doing some panting after
strenuous exercise and so I've made an appointment to have her checked
for cardiomyopathy.

What I'm wondering is how is this diagnosed? The panting is her only
symptom, so I'm hopeful it's just that she doesn't know when to quit
running.

My vet does not have a sonogram machine. Is a sonogram an absolute must?

Juls

If you are really worried about it, you would want an ultrasound. When
is her appt?

Old November 12th 05, 01:31 AM
Juls

In article 2005111119254627590%kchuplis@alltelnet,

On 2005-11-11 16:45:32 -0600, Juls said:

Jasmine (age about 5-6 months) has been doing some panting after
strenuous exercise and so I've made an appointment to have her checked
for cardiomyopathy.

What I'm wondering is how is this diagnosed? The panting is her only
symptom, so I'm hopeful it's just that she doesn't know when to quit
running.

My vet does not have a sonogram machine. Is a sonogram an absolute must?

Juls

If you are really worried about it, you would want an ultrasound. When
is her appt?

Wednesday. I guess I'm worried that my vet will listen to her heart and
say she's fine...and then what. I just want what's best for Jas.

Old November 12th 05, 01:40 AM
cybercat

"Juls" wrote

Wednesday. I guess I'm worried that my vet will listen to her heart and
say she's fine...and then what. I just want what's best for Jas.

If her heart sounds fine, but you are still worried, have an ultrasound to
make sure.

My cat has fainting spells. Her heart sounded fine, albeit fast. We had an
ultrasound
at my regular vet's--it cost $260 and she was awake for it, and the worst
she got
was a shaved chest. Her heart is fine, though she is on a beta blocker to
keep
the beat slowed down so that she will not have fibrillation, which is what
we think
caused the fainting spells.

Old November 12th 05, 01:42 AM
Joe Canuck

On 2005-11-11 16:45:32 -0600, Juls said:

Jasmine (age about 5-6 months) has been doing some panting after
strenuous exercise and so I've made an appointment to have her checked
for cardiomyopathy.

What I'm wondering is how is this diagnosed? The panting is her only
symptom, so I'm hopeful it's just that she doesn't know when to quit
running.

My vet does not have a sonogram machine. Is a sonogram an absolute must?

Juls

If you are really worried about it, you would want an ultrasound. When
is her appt?

Wednesday. I guess I'm worried that my vet will listen to her heart and
say she's fine...and then what. I just want what's best for Jas.

Ultrasound is the only way, listening doesn't diagnose the issue.

Old November 12th 05, 01:43 AM
Karen

On 2005-11-11 16:45:32 -0600, Juls said:

Jasmine (age about 5-6 months) has been doing some panting after
strenuous exercise and so I've made an appointment to have her checked
for cardiomyopathy.

What I'm wondering is how is this diagnosed? The panting is her only
symptom, so I'm hopeful it's just that she doesn't know when to quit
running.

My vet does not have a sonogram machine. Is a sonogram an absolute must?

Juls

If you are really worried about it, you would want an ultrasound. When
is her appt?

Wednesday. I guess I'm worried that my vet will listen to her heart and
say she's fine...and then what. I just want what's best for Jas.

Well, I think you have to make that call. I will say again, I had the
same trouble with SUgar at that age. I've never had a cat that didn't
know when to stop, but she sure didn't. We've never had any trouble
with her heart. I've seen people post it before. So, I don't think it
is that rare at that age.

Old November 12th 05, 03:15 AM
cybercat

"Joe Canuck" wrote

Ultrasound is the only way, listening doesn't diagnose the issue.

And in fact ultrasound may only diagnose structural problems
or "regular" function problems. In other words, my kitty's behavior
suggests that she fibrillates (or her heart beats irregularly for short
periods) and yet the ultrasound showed a normal heart.

Old November 12th 05, 04:14 AM
Juls

In article , "cybercat"
wrote:

"Joe Canuck" wrote

Ultrasound is the only way, listening doesn't diagnose the issue.

And in fact ultrasound may only diagnose structural problems
or "regular" function problems. In other words, my kitty's behavior
suggests that she fibrillates (or her heart beats irregularly for short
periods) and yet the ultrasound showed a normal heart.

Well, this is all very helpful, and I thank you all. I guess I'll just
play it by ear next week.

I do feel more optimistic hearing of others whose kittens didn't know
when to stop. Jas is sure like that, and with the laser dot, she just
won't quit. I've never seen a kitten who goes like she does.

Old November 12th 05, 04:20 AM
cybercat

"Juls" wrote in message
In article , "cybercat"
wrote:

"Joe Canuck" wrote

Ultrasound is the only way, listening doesn't diagnose the issue.

And in fact ultrasound may only diagnose structural problems
or "regular" function problems. In other words, my kitty's behavior
suggests that she fibrillates (or her heart beats irregularly for short
periods) and yet the ultrasound showed a normal heart.

Well, this is all very helpful, and I thank you all. I guess I'll just
play it by ear next week.

I do feel more optimistic hearing of others whose kittens didn't know
when to stop. Jas is sure like that, and with the laser dot, she just
won't quit. I've never seen a kitten who goes like she does.

--

Juls--try not to worry. I have seen your photos of Jasmine, and she
looks like an angel--I can tell you really love her. It will be okay.