Cat Starving Himself After Urinary Tract Blockage

Old November 16th 05, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat Starving Himself After Urinary Tract Blockage

Hi Folks,

Our nine year old male domestic shorthair had a urinary tract blockage
back in July. He had a large, walnut-sized stone in his bladder. It
was touch and go for a couple of weeks, but he was strong and healthy
and seemed to recover fully. After six weeks, there were no signs left
of the bladder stone according to our veterinarians.

One of the things our veterinarians requested was that we change his
food. He had been on a mix of premium dry foods, but they said that wet
food would be better for keeping crystals from forming in his bladder.
They also gave us a prescription of Cosequin, which is supposed to
strengthen his bladder after all of the inflamation.

We tried a number of better grade and premium canned foods that are low
in ash and/or claimed to be for urinary tract health. We noticed that
he was enthusiastic about the new foods initially.

Shortly after his recovery from the blockage, he began to have periodic
episodes of "dry" vomiting. He would appear to be straining to get rid
of something, but all that would come out was a small amount of liquid
or foam. Afterwards, he would not eat anything for a day or two, and
then regain his appetite. This started to happen every week or two, and
gradually became more frequent.

He does not go outdoors, and rarely eats anything besides what we feed
him. He has gradually eaten less and less in the months since his
blockage. He started out weighing 8.5 lbs and is down to 5.5 lbs. He
looks like fur over bones! I'm afraid he's not going to last much longer.

He has had blood tests, and has no infection or diabetes. His blood
levels are all "normal" according to his doctors. They cannot find any
lumps after substantial searching. They are testing him for
pancreatitis now, another blood test. They also suspect inflammatory
bowel disease, but that takes invasive surgery to detect. While this is
going on, he continues to eat tiny amounts of food and waste away.

We were wondering at first if it could be related to the Cosequin,
because he began sniffing and refusing the wet food first. We stopped
giving him the Cosequin about a week ago, but he still continues to
refuse most wet food and only eats a little of the dry. We have tried
several new wet and dry foods with poor results. We're about to try
canned tuna and sardines to see if that gets him to eat more than a
spoonful.

He has been a great friend and entertainer for the lucky years we've had
him. If anyone knows of something that might preserve our cat, I'd be
very grateful!

-dreq
Old November 16th 05, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Derek Mark Edding wrote:

He has been a great friend and entertainer for the lucky years we've had
him. If anyone knows of something that might preserve our cat, I'd be
very grateful!

-dreq

Very sorry this is happening.
After reading your post
my first thought is

get x-rays of the surgery (if some are already available)
have a different vet look at the x-rays.

everything has been considered except for a blotched surgery?

Very sorry again
Best to ya's

Old November 16th 05, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

whitershadeofpale wrote:
Very sorry this is happening.
After reading your post
my first thought is

get x-rays of the surgery (if some are already available)
have a different vet look at the x-rays.

everything has been considered except for a blotched surgery?

Very sorry again
Best to ya's

He did not have surgery. He was catheterized for the blockage, and got
better on s/d chow.

Thanks,

-dreq
Old November 16th 05, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Derek Mark Edding wrote:

He did not have surgery. He was catheterized for the blockage, and got
better on s/d chow.

Thanks,

-dreq

I see...
wow!

Well this is a caring bunch of folks, I know many will say a prayer, a
prayer that the vet will find the real problem.

See Ya

Old November 16th 05, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Derek Mark Edding" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

First, it's important that you get him to eat. Cats can develop hepatic
lipidosis very quickly if they don't eat. It' better to give a cat a food
he'll eat rather than have him refuse to eat a food that's good for him.
Try different foods. Most cats love Fancy Feast and for some of their
flavors they're really improved their formula and ingredients. But you can
also try diced chicken or even baby food (get the flavors *without* onions).
Once you get him to eat and he gets a little more weight on him you can try
again to *slowly* introduce the foods he's supposed to have.

Since he is having renal problems, it's also important to get him to drink.
Some of the things I've done to accomplish this with my 15-year-old is to
keep water bowls in all the places she likes to occupy to make it convenient
for her. But also I keep changing the location of some extra water bowls
(cats are curious and will wander over to the new location to take a sniff
and will usually take a drink while they're there). Also, I've got a
Drinkwell fountain that gives them oxygenated, filtered water and provides
running water for those cats who like to drink from faucets (and since cats
have a hard time seeing the surface of still water they like these because
the surface of the water is always in motion making it easier for them to
drink). If all else fails, give him the water from cans of tuna in spring
water or things like chicken broth.

Other than all that I would get another vet's opinion on what's going on.
Just ask your current vet for all their records and test results and take
them to the second vet for more options.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 16th 05, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Gail" wrote in message
ink.net...
See another vet. Bring his records. Your vet is missing something

important.

Particularly if he has allowed this cat to waste to 5.5 lbs and has not
addressed
the problem or at least hydrated him.

Old November 16th 05, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I agree with the poster that said to try to get him to eat anything he
can. Fancy feast is a great suggestion, also, if you have a Trader
Joe's near you, they make a canned cat food that no cat can resist - it
is Tongal (sp?) Tuna. Mine went nuts for it.

HTH
Beth

Old November 16th 05, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

[...]

Has his thyroid levels been checked? A small percentage of hyperthyroid
cats develop a form of the disease known as "apathetic hyperthyroidism".
The symptoms are completely opposite of the classic symptoms of
hyperthyroidism. These cats have a decreased appetite, lethargy or anorexia
and significant weight loss. So, if his T4 levels haven't been check, that
should be a must.

Also, you might want to speak to your vet about cyproheptadine (Periactin).
Its an antihistamine for humans but works as an appetite stimulant for cats.
Cypro might help jump start his appetite.

Since your present vet can't seem to find the problem, I think its time for
a second opinion. Your loyalty belongs to your cat not your vet. Be sure
to get a copy of all of your cat's medical records.

Best of luck.

Phil

Old November 17th 05, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Phil P. wrote:
Has his thyroid levels been checked? A small percentage of hyperthyroid
cats develop a form of the disease known as "apathetic hyperthyroidism".
The symptoms are completely opposite of the classic symptoms of
hyperthyroidism. These cats have a decreased appetite, lethargy or anorexia
and significant weight loss. So, if his T4 levels haven't been check, that
should be a must.

Also, you might want to speak to your vet about cyproheptadine (Periactin).
Its an antihistamine for humans but works as an appetite stimulant for cats.
Cypro might help jump start his appetite.

Since your present vet can't seem to find the problem, I think its time for
a second opinion. Your loyalty belongs to your cat not your vet. Be sure
to get a copy of all of your cat's medical records.

Best of luck.

Phil

Hi Phil and everyone,

Thanks for the pointers.

We did receive cyproheptadine when we brought our cat in for weighing
late last week. His thyroid levels were tested and they are normal.

We have had to pill him before and he's highly resistant, to the point
of foaming at the mouth after a few days. We started out by trying to
give it to him ground up in food, but one whiff and he refuses to eat.
He's gotten very experienced at noticing doctored food. We're going to
use the piller again and hope for the best.

We have two veterinarians at our animal hospital, the second one started
seeing him this week. Her opinions mostly track the first one's, but
not exactly. We're waiting on the test for pancreatitis now. She
offered us to install a feeding tube in our cat today, but we are
waiting two days to see if the appetite stimulant works. He has about 1
lb left of buffer weight before forced feeding is unavoidable, according
to his new doctor.

We also have a large plastic syringe (along the lines of a turkey
baster) and have been recommended to give him some a/d food with it as
many as six times a day if he's not eating enough. I'm hoping he'll
still be willing to eat voluntarily someday, after what he (and us) are
going through!

Thanks again,

-dreq