Flovent use question

Old December 10th 05, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Flovent use question

First of all, thank you everyone for your wonderful and thoughtful
you mentioned, we kept on the asthma route and find we get some relief
with Flovent. Yea!! Doc said it should take a week or so to see real
relief or stopping but we're on our way.

That said, I have a few questions about Flovent. When I was on it I was
told to rinse after use or I might end up with a yeast infection in my
mouth. Does the same apply to cats? Also, once we get this thing under
control, what is the protocol? Do we use the Flovent as needed?

Thanks again for all your caring responses and support. I truly feel
like one of the family.

Paula
Old December 10th 05, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I don't know how you would get a cat to rinse let alone drink water. You
could always get some yogurt and feed to him afterwards. My cats love it
and bug me for it when I'm eating any. The yogurt would help keep the good
bacteria in balance in his system and hopefully keep any yeast from
starting.

Celeste

.net...

Old December 10th 05, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Paula Sims" wrote in message
.net...
First of all, thank you everyone for your wonderful and thoughtful
you mentioned, we kept on the asthma route and find we get some relief
with Flovent. Yea!! Doc said it should take a week or so to see real
relief or stopping but we're on our way.

That said, I have a few questions about Flovent. When I was on it I was
told to rinse after use or I might end up with a yeast infection in my
mouth. Does the same apply to cats?

I haven't heard of any cats developing oral candidiosis secondary to
inhalant steroids. In humans the use of a spacer reduces the risk of this
problem and since a spacer is always used in cats that may have something to
do with it.

Also, once we get this thing under
control, what is the protocol? Do we use the Flovent as needed?

Flovent, being a corticosteroid, needs to be given consistently to reduce
inflammation so usually it has to be given once to twice daily. On the
other hand, albuterol can be used on an as needed basis for mild to moderate
asthma. Of course your own veterinarian should be the final arbitrator for
these decisions.

J.

Old December 12th 05, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I"ve seen no trouble with Pearl who has been on it about 1.5 months. I do
wash the spacer out and clean out the little nozzle once a week. Some cats
might react to the little plastic mask and so they wipe their face after
each use.
It has really helped Pearl. Sure is easier than pilling!! We are now
fighting diabetes from the prednisone she was taking. Ugh.

Karen

.net...

Old December 12th 05, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Paula Sims wrote:
First of all, thank you everyone for your wonderful and thoughtful
you mentioned, we kept on the asthma route and find we get some relief
with Flovent. Yea!! Doc said it should take a week or so to see real
relief or stopping but we're on our way.

That said, I have a few questions about Flovent. When I was on it I was
told to rinse after use or I might end up with a yeast infection in my
mouth. Does the same apply to cats? Also, once we get this thing under
control, what is the protocol? Do we use the Flovent as needed?

Thanks again for all your caring responses and support. I truly feel
like one of the family.

Paula

Paula, I belong to the yahoo group for inhaled asthma medications for
cats and no one has ever reported having a problem with mouth
infections due to Flovent use. I was told that the reason you don't
need to rinse the cat's mouth out after use (presuming that you even
could) is that the cat breathes in the medication through the nose, not
the mouth. The pharmacist where we buy the Flovent asked us the same
question, whether we have the cat drink water afterwards but of course
he is only accustomed to Flovent use with human beings and seemed a bit
astonished that we were using it with a cat.

As for the protocol, we give our cat one puff of the 110 Flovent per
day and that completely controls her asthma. Your vet will set up the
protocol for you--many people start with one or two puffs twice a day
and under the vet's guidance, taper down to the amount that will
control the asthma. But almost everyone needs to use it at least once a
day for adequate control. Flovent does not stay in the system all that
long nor does it work immediately as does Albuterol, so you need to use
it on a regular schedule.
Good luck--
Yngver