The kitty from hell!

Old December 29th 05, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default The kitty from hell!

Don't get me wrong. I'm a cat person myself, and I like my girlfriend's
cat. But the little bugger has been driving me insane!

My GF and I live together. A few years back, she adopted this cat from
a friend, and he has always been a wonderful kitty. A bit grumpy at
times, and nervous around strangers, but a nice kitty never the less.

Whenever we would go on vacation, once we got back, the cat would meow
quite a bit during the night for a few days. It was a bit annoying, but
no major hassle. But sometime this last summer, we went on vacation,
and since we've got back, the cat just meows really loud just about
every night. It usually starts around 3 or 4 AM. And it's a small
1-bedroom apartment. Therefore we've both been getting very little sleep.

Someone mentioned squirting it with water whenever he starts, but that
would require turning on the lights, finding the cat, and making sure
not to squirt any electronic equipment. So its not a very good idea.

Can anyone suggest anything else that can be done to stop the meowing?
Old December 29th 05, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Give him more attention and let him sleep with you?

chas

Old December 29th 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Is the cat neutered

Old December 29th 05, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Can anyone suggest anything else that can be done to stop the meowing?

You need to find the cause in order to stop the meowing. Possible causes:

Hunger? - leave some dry food for him to munch on overnight.
Loneliness? - is he allowed on the bed or in your bedroom?
Boredom? - leave some toys out so he can amuse himself and play with him
every evening so he will be tired and sleepy. Perhaps adopt a very young
kitten so he can have company.
Is he neutered? - he might want OUT.

Getting up and running after him to make him stop will only teach him that
for you to get up and pay attention to him, he just has to holler.

Old December 29th 05, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Bobblespin wrote:

Hunger? - leave some dry food for him to munch on overnight.

We always leave him food overnight. He eats two servings per day. One
in the morning, and one when we first go to bed. I've also tried to
give him some extra food when he starts meowing, but no luck.

Loneliness? - is he allowed on the bed or in your bedroom?

Yes, he is allowed in the bedroom, and sometimes he jumps right on top
of us while during his meowing sessions.

Boredom? - leave some toys out so he can amuse himself and play with him
every evening so he will be tired and sleepy. Perhaps adopt a very young
kitten so he can have company.

He has lost of toys, but never really plays much. He's about 16 years
old, and was never into toys.

Is he neutered? - he might want OUT.

Yup. He's neutered. And loud. Very very loud!
Old December 29th 05, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

chas wrote:
Give him more attention and let him sleep with you?

And what makes you assume we don't?
Old December 29th 05, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Joao"
this_email_address_was_harvested_from_usenet_for_
wrote in message ...
Bobblespin wrote:

Hunger? - leave some dry food for him to munch on overnight.

We always leave him food overnight. He eats two servings per day. One in
the morning, and one when we first go to bed. I've also tried to give him
some extra food when he starts meowing, but no luck.

Loneliness? - is he allowed on the bed or in your bedroom?

Yes, he is allowed in the bedroom, and sometimes he jumps right on top of
us while during his meowing sessions.

Boredom? - leave some toys out so he can amuse himself and play with him
every evening so he will be tired and sleepy. Perhaps adopt a very young
kitten so he can have company.

He has lost of toys, but never really plays much. He's about 16 years
old, and was never into toys.

Is he neutered? - he might want OUT.

Yup. He's neutered. And loud. Very very loud!

There are a number of medical reasons he could be meowing, especially at
that age. Has he been check by a vet lately? I believe thyroid problems
will cause meowing, or it could be as simple as he is going deaf in his old
age or senile.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 29th 05, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

CatNipped wrote:

Has he been check by a vet lately? I believe thyroid problems
will cause meowing,

He hasn't been to the vet in the last few months, but he has been since
the nightly meowing sessions started. He did have his thyroid tested
then since he's getting older, but nothing.

or it could be as simple as he is going deaf in his old
age or senile.

I guess senile it is, since he's definetly not deaf. Whenever he starts
meowing I just need to make a hissing sound for him to stop for a couple
of minutes, then start again.
Old December 29th 05, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:15:41 -0500, Joao wrote:

[...]

Just a suggestion. Put it in the bathroom in a comfortable kitty bed.
Turn on a radio = either talk or music (softly) and pray. MLB

Old December 29th 05, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

If you want help you might want to mellow out a bit..

There's no way to know either way if yu didn't say and that was a good start
I think..

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"Joao"
this_email_address_was_harvested_from_usenet_for_ spamming@allgoodnamesrtake