Laser pointers?

Old February 18th 06, 06:48 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Laser pointers?

What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
they are dangerous...
Old February 18th 06, 06:58 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article , AlexZ Newsgroup wrote:
What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
they are dangerous...

Other than pointing one directly into a living eye, it's
tough for me to see the danger. However my cat, Bubba, loses
interest after about 10 seconds when he realizes that the red
dot is not actually catchable....

Other cats are apparently more interested in them.

Claude
Old February 18th 06, 08:09 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

It is alleged that AlexZ claimed:

What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
they are dangerous...

Just be careful to not shine it in their eyes, that's all.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"He has become one with his inner self!" "He passed out." "That too."
(Vir Coto and Mr. Garibaldi, B5 "The Parliament of Dreams")
Old February 18th 06, 12:43 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message

In article , AlexZ
Newsgroup wrote:
What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus
exercise device? Amazon.com reviews are highly
polarized, some love them, some think they are
dangerous...

Other than pointing one directly into a living eye, it's
tough for me to see the danger. However my cat, Bubba,
loses
interest after about 10 seconds when he realizes that the
red
dot is not actually catchable....

Other cats are apparently more interested in them.

I'm just wondering how easy it would be for the beam to find its way into
an eye by accident during play. This is why I'm reluctant to try one.

Ivor

Old February 18th 06, 01:26 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In the borning days of the third millennium, AlexZ wrote:
What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
they are dangerous...

Our cats love them, and the laser pointers they sell for this purpose
aren't powerful enough to do lasting damage due to incidentally shining
them in the eye. Just don't aim it at their corneas and leave them there.
At the worst, they'll see spots for a few minutes.

Actually, the biggest danger is them bopping their heads from running
after the "red bug" and sliding across the kitchen floor into the
cabinets!
--
Brian Merchant

Puritanism didn't keep the puritans from sinning, it just kept them from enjoying it.
--Father Joe Breighner, Country Roads
Old February 18th 06, 01:54 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Brian Merchant wrote:
Actually, the biggest danger is them bopping their heads from running
after the "red bug" and sliding across the kitchen floor into the
cabinets!

I agree! Our cats absolutely adore the laser pointer. Well, 5 out of 7 do.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 18th 06, 02:43 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Brian Merchant" wrote in message

Actually, the biggest danger is them bopping their heads from running
after the "red bug" and sliding across the kitchen floor into the
cabinets!

I have one and am careful not to shine it in my cat's eyes. While you're
moving the pointer around, passing it for a fraction of a second across her
eyes will not cause any damage. My cat still chases the pointer, but now she
tries to stalk it instead of just immediately chasing it. I've got all wood
floors so I get a laugh out of seeing how far I can get her to slide when
chasing the pointer. The record so far is 9 feet 4 inches.

Old February 18th 06, 03:07 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

AlexZ wrote:
What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus exercise device?
Amazon.com reviews are highly polarized, some love them, some think
they are dangerous...

I love them, my kitten loves it too.

My older Calico wants no part of it. (She is 16, she says go chase it
yourself.)

I have several gripes about them though, they eat batteries and they
power
on button is difficult to use.

Just be careful not to point it in the cats eyes.

Old February 18th 06, 03:16 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Brian Merchant wrote:
Actually, the biggest danger is them bopping their heads from running
after the "red bug" and sliding across the kitchen floor into the
cabinets!

My kitten manages to bop his head on anything/everything without the
laser, being that he is a KITTEN.