Pronosis for bad heart

Old February 25th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Pronosis for bad heart

Never rains, just as we've got Q eating and not throwing it up my other old
boy 'Worf' had a fit yesterday. Took him straight to the vet who thinks he
has something similar to asthma but more seriously it looks like his heart
is enlarged and diseased - you can see the whole of his chest beating from
the outside. X-ray on Monday to find out more.

Last night he had another gasping fit and was panting for a while afterwards
but seems OK this morning. Can anyone advise what the prognosis might be for
a cat with pretty bad heart problems - should I be preparing myself to say
bye bye to my friend of 14 years?

--

Niel H

Old February 25th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
Never rains, just as we've got Q eating and not throwing it up my other

old
boy 'Worf' had a fit yesterday. Took him straight to the vet who thinks he
has something similar to asthma but more seriously it looks like his heart
is enlarged and diseased - you can see the whole of his chest beating from
the outside. X-ray on Monday to find out more.

Last night he had another gasping fit and was panting for a while

afterwards
but seems OK this morning. Can anyone advise what the prognosis might be

for
a cat with pretty bad heart problems - should I be preparing myself to say
bye bye to my friend of 14 years?

--

I had an ultrasound done for my cat who had little fainting like fits, and
it

Old February 25th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
[...]

No, this is definitely a heart problem. When he is lying there you can
actually see his chest sides pulse in beat with the heart at normal speed.
It is separate from his breating as you can see the normal breating 'in and
out' of his tummy a bit further back. The vet had a good long listen with a
stethoscope to what was going on and wasn't happy. Worf had a minor wheezing
fit at the vets too which helped to demonstrate his symptoms. The vet is a
small 'one man' practice and he knows all my cats by name so the same person
sees them every time which also helps as he is familiar with them.

Having said that, today he's not fitted and seems happy with big purrs when
he got his combing this evening.

--

Niel H

Old February 26th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
Never rains, just as we've got Q eating and not throwing it up my other

old
boy 'Worf' had a fit yesterday. Took him straight to the vet who thinks he
has something similar to asthma but more seriously it looks like his heart
is enlarged and diseased - you can see the whole of his chest beating from
the outside. X-ray on Monday to find out more.

Last night he had another gasping fit and was panting for a while

afterwards
but seems OK this morning. Can anyone advise what the prognosis might be

for
a cat with pretty bad heart problems - should I be preparing myself to say
bye bye to my friend of 14 years?

How is his heart enlarged; in a ball shape or valentine-shape?

His breathing difficulty might be due to pulmonary edema. Speak to your vet
about a diuretic (furosemide/Lasix). If he prescribes a diuretic, mention a
potassium supplement since rapid urine formation caused by diuretics
increases potassium excretion and could lead to hypokalemia.

If I were you, I would consult a veterinary cardiologist.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old February 26th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Will know after the X-ray tomorrow.

His breathing difficulty might be due to pulmonary edema. Speak to your
vet
about a diuretic (furosemide/Lasix). If he prescribes a diuretic, mention
potassium supplement since rapid urine formation caused by diuretics
increases potassium excretion and could lead to hypokalemia.

Will do.

If I were you, I would consult a veterinary cardiologist.

I don't think we have them over here in the UK, certainly not where I live
which is about 100 miles from the nearest large City which is likely to have
a big vet practice (Manchester). Around here in Wales we just have smaller
vet practices with 1 or 2 vets, usually running the practice from their own
house.

--

Niel H

Old February 26th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

Ask your vet if he deals with an ultrasound service-- ultrasonographers that
travel around to local practices. An echocardiogram would be superior to an
x-ray.

Best of luck.

Phil.

Old February 26th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

Ah, yes, he did mention the possibility of an ECG but wanted to see if the
X-Ray would provide al the information first.

Best of luck.

Cheers.
--

Niel H

Old February 27th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...

"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

Don't go by the x-rays alone- I've seen cats with HCM have normal x-rays as
well as normal ECGs. An echocardiogram is the best diagnostic tool for
heart disease in cats. An echo will also let you know if your cat is at
risk for aortic thromboembolism.

How's his breathing?

Phil

Old February 27th 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in

Ah, yes, he did mention the possibility of an ECG but wanted to see if
the
X-Ray would provide al the information first.

Don't go by the x-rays alone- I've seen cats with HCM have normal x-rays
as
well as normal ECGs. An echocardiogram is the best diagnostic tool for
heart disease in cats. An echo will also let you know if your cat is at
risk for aortic thromboembolism.

Just dropped him off and on the G.E. authority form the vet had stated he
was being put under for X-Ray, ECG and Endoscopy so he's getting all 3.

How's his breathing?

It alternates between laboured and fine, laboured usually after a coughing
fit or trotting up the stairs. Last night he tried up jump onto the
cardboard box he likes to sleep on at night & it took 2 attempts, when he
got up there he was visibly panting & it's only about 2 feet high.. This
morning he was perfectly fine.

The vet said it seems like he has something akin to asthma at the initial
exam, I imagine this is what the endoscopy is for? Anyway I will know more
this afternoon but I have already decided I am not going to keep him alive
for my benefit just because I don't want him to die if it means he will be
in pain or have no real quality of life.
--

Niel H

Old February 27th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

Oh dear, it doesn't look good. Vet was out and I spoke to his wife who says
they want to keep him overnight to wait for the results of the ECG. She
sounded quite sad on the phone, not her usual self, so I am preparing myself
for bad news when I phone again this evening to speak to the vet himself.
--

Niel H