Scottie's vet called

Old March 12th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Scottie's vet called

He called around 6pm our time. The girl at his office said he'd be
there at 5 after his seminar. I wasn't here. It's all on my answering
machine tape. He said it's entirely possible that it happened as I
said. He said he didn't know about doxycycline causing it. He read
the articles I gave him, he looked in his Plumb's Veterinary Drug
Handbook and saw the warning. He said he's given it to hundreds, maybe
thousands of cats that way and nothing ever happened. He just didn't
know. He sounded shocked. He said he'd call later, he was on his way
home.

I don't feel elated or vindicated. It made it even sadder that he
acknowledged it, in a way. I don't know if he'll mention money when he
calls back or if I should. I would think he would pay me since he's
basically admitting his error. I suppose it's not provable now that
the cat doesn't exist anymore but it doesn't sound like he's going to
dispute much.

I've always liked him, he seemed like a down-to-earth person, very
sympathetic and understanding. He must feel bad, too. I felt that he
would be honorable about this and I guess I was right. Of course, he
might know vet law and know nothing will be/can be done to him. I
don't know but I guess he's not going to be a dick about it.

Yes, I removed the tape and am saving it.

Candace

Old March 12th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Candace" wrote in message
ups.com...
He called around 6pm our time. .

Wow, Candace. What a mess of mixed feelings--sad that it happened just as
you suspected and Scottie died needlessly, and happy--in a way--that the vet
is decent enough to say, "I didn't know." I would be very surprised if he
did not
refund your money, given his admission. Nothing can make this right but it
is the
least he can do and I bet he will feel the same way.

Old March 12th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

D. wrote:

I think he probably feels pretty badly; I get the feeling he just didn't
know any better. I was thinking how, for humans, we have pharmacists who
tell us things about medications and interactions that the doctors don't
or can't, but veterinarians don't have that.

At least now he knows.

You're right, I hadn't really thought of that. Not that that excuses
it but, years ago, I used to be a pharmacy tech in a hospital. That is
one of a hospital pharmacist's main purposes, to catch drug
interactions, dosing errors, etc. and call the doctor about it. Even
good doctors don't know everything about every drug. I suppose it's
true of vets, too. Maybe they just can't keep up with all the
literature and some things fall through the cracks.

Or maybe he's just incompetent. He's probably in his early 60's, maybe
he doesn't bother with the reading anymore. It would be interesting to
know how many vets know this about doxycycline. Maybe a lot don't.

None of it can help Scottie, though. And why did I have to find out
about it at all if it was after the fact? It's kind of like a cruel
joke God is playing. If I had just been left with the feeling it was
probably cancer as the vet said, it wouldn't be so awful. He'd still
be dead and we'd still miss him but it would have been "his time."
This wasn't his time.

Candace

Old March 12th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 11 Mar 2006 17:47:31 -0800, "Candace" wrote:

[...]

This is why I have been cringing over some of the militant rhetoric
I've been reading. Fortunately you are enough of an adult not to
start banging out certified letters full of high-handed nonsense.

I would ask the guy for a refund of professional fees, pointing out
that it was a big financial hardship for you to fork over that dough
in the first place. Keep the same cordial tone he has used.

You could drag him into court, but you wouldn't get much. And courts
always look favorably on a party who has attempted to reach an
agreement prior to litigation.

This is a very sad saga, Candace, but you have contributed to the
man's understanding of feline care, and perhaps by doing so you will
prevent another cat lover from having this same experience. That's
the highest outcome possible in a situation like this.

Charlie

Charlie

Old March 12th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Candace wrote:
He called around 6pm our time.

I'm glad to hear that he called. I bet he's feeling pretty bad right
about now. I can't imagine being a vet and doing something like this.
If he's a nice guy like you say, I'm sure he'll offer you a full
refund. Hang in there.

Hugs,
Lauren

Old March 12th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Candace wrote:

None of it can help Scottie, though. And why did I have to find out
about it at all if it was after the fact? It's kind of like a cruel
joke God is playing. If I had just been left with the feeling it was
probably cancer as the vet said, it wouldn't be so awful. He'd still
be dead and we'd still miss him but it would have been "his time."
This wasn't his time.

I know what you mean. When Jasper died, we figured it was because he
was so underweight before he was hit by the car. A stray with
pre-existing conditions. Then 5 years later, I learned about the change
in pepto bismal. I felt like he died all over again, only now it was
possibly my fault. And of course, it is way too late to test for
anything to find out for sure. It made a bad experience worse.

Old March 12th 06, 08:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Candace wrote:

You're right, I hadn't really thought of that. Not that that excuses
it but, years ago, I used to be a pharmacy tech in a hospital. That is
one of a hospital pharmacist's main purposes, to catch drug
interactions, dosing errors, etc. and call the doctor about it. Even
good doctors don't know everything about every drug. I suppose it's
true of vets, too. Maybe they just can't keep up with all the
literature and some things fall through the cracks.

Or maybe he's just incompetent. He's probably in his early 60's, maybe
he doesn't bother with the reading anymore. It would be interesting to
know how many vets know this about doxycycline. Maybe a lot don't.

FWIW, we never prescribed it - never. Not once. I didn't even know it
was used in cats.

None of it can help Scottie, though. And why did I have to find out
about it at all if it was after the fact? It's kind of like a cruel
joke God is playing. If I had just been left with the feeling it was
probably cancer as the vet said, it wouldn't be so awful. He'd still
be dead and we'd still miss him but it would have been "his time."
This wasn't his time.

Well, Candace, it *was* his time or he wouldn't have died. You will
never know why. We all go when it's our time whether it's in a car
wreck, a heart attack, lingering disease or murder. It's our time.
Somewhere, someway, some good will come of this. You may never know
about it, but rest assured, it will.

-L.

Old March 12th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Candace wrote:
He called around 6pm our time. The girl at his office said he'd be
there at 5 after his seminar. I wasn't here. It's all on my answering
machine tape. He said it's entirely possible that it happened as I
said. He said he didn't know about doxycycline causing it. He read
the articles I gave him, he looked in his Plumb's Veterinary Drug
Handbook and saw the warning. He said he's given it to hundreds, maybe
thousands of cats that way and nothing ever happened. He just didn't
know. He sounded shocked. He said he'd call later, he was on his way
home.

I don't feel elated or vindicated. It made it even sadder that he
acknowledged it, in a way.

What is he going to do? He has to acknowledge it. He knows you are
right.

don't know if he'll mention money when he
calls back or if I should. I would think he would pay me since he's
basically admitting his error. I suppose it's not provable now that
the cat doesn't exist anymore but it doesn't sound like he's going to
dispute much.

I've always liked him, he seemed like a down-to-earth person, very
sympathetic and understanding. He must feel bad, too. I felt that he
would be honorable about this and I guess I was right. Of course, he
might know vet law and know nothing will be/can be done to him. I
don't know but I guess he's not going to be a dick about it.

Vets never want a complaint filed with the vet board. He will do
whatever you want to make sure that doesn't happen.

Yes, I removed the tape and am saving it.

I am so sorry, Candace but please feel some comfort in knowing you are
educating people about the use of this drug. Nothing will bring your
sweet boy back, but some good will come out of it.

-L.

Old March 12th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Candace" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

They are dealing with many animals every day, you are just worrying about
yours. I'm sure most do the best they can and they all make a mistake some
time. That's why it's called the 'practice' of medicine. At least your vet
was man enough to admit he could have blown it and didn't give you a bunch
of excuses to cover it up. You have to respect the man for that at least.

I'm truly sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is when we lose one of our
babies. We should be better prepared because we know from the start that we
are going to outlive them but we never are.

Wendy

Old March 12th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"D." wrote in message
nk.net...
In article . com,
"Candace" wrote:

I've always liked him, he seemed like a down-to-earth person, very
sympathetic and understanding. He must feel bad, too. I felt that he
would be honorable about this and I guess I was right.

I think he probably feels pretty badly; I get the feeling he just didn't
know any better. I was thinking how, for humans, we have pharmacists who
tell us things about medications and interactions that the doctors don't
or can't, but veterinarians don't have that.

Too true. I was just told by my pharmacist that I shouldn't be taking
over-the-counter Sudafed with the Flexeril I'm taking for Fibromyalgia - it
can cause kidney damage.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped