compensating cat sitter

Old March 18th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default compensating cat sitter

My cat is currently boarding with her cat sitter. She became ill and
had to be taken to the vet. It turned out to be crystals and will need
further treatment while still under the cat sitter's care.

Of course, I am taking care of all the vet bills. But I would also
like to compensate our cat sitter for her time and trouble in taking
Kitty to the vet and other associated troubles. Does anyone have a
suggestion as to how much I should give her? I was thinking of adding
$20/vet visit to her fee (which is $185/month). Does that sound
reasonable? Too much? Too little?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I've never done this kind of
thing before!

Old March 18th 06, 08:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Rona Y. wrote:
My cat is currently boarding with her cat sitter. She became ill and
had to be taken to the vet. It turned out to be crystals and will need
further treatment while still under the cat sitter's care.

Of course, I am taking care of all the vet bills. But I would also
like to compensate our cat sitter for her time and trouble in taking
Kitty to the vet and other associated troubles. Does anyone have a
suggestion as to how much I should give her? I was thinking of adding
$20/vet visit to her fee (which is $185/month). Does that sound
reasonable? Too much? Too little?

That is what my pet sitter (Portland, Oregon) charges for vet visits
that take one hour or less. Anything after that is $30/hr. Of course
these things tend to vary by region.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I've never done this kind of
thing before!

Sounds like you are on the ball.
-L.

Old March 18th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

You could just round off the $185 to $225 or
$250 if you want to be more generous.
--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old March 19th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Rona Y." wrote in message
oups.com...
My cat is currently boarding with her cat sitter. She became ill and
had to be taken to the vet. It turned out to be crystals and will need
further treatment while still under the cat sitter's care.

Of course, I am taking care of all the vet bills. But I would also
like to compensate our cat sitter for her time and trouble in taking
Kitty to the vet and other associated troubles. Does anyone have a
suggestion as to how much I should give her? I was thinking of adding
$20/vet visit to her fee (which is $185/month). Does that sound
reasonable? Too much? Too little?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I've never done this kind of
thing before!

That sounds reasonable, although the amount varies by region. I pay my cat
sitter $20.00 per day while I am on vacation ($10.00 per visit because she
visits my home twice a day), and I also add a nice tip. The funny thing is,
she told me when I saw her this morning that she almost feels "guilty" for
charging me the full rate because it is so peaceful at my home -- it gives
her an opportunity to get away from all the chaos at her house and just sit
there watching the birds and playing with the cats. Well, I told her not to
feel guilty -- it is a tremendous relief that I have someone like her to
rely on. If I did not have a reliable person, I would either have to give
up my vacations or travel with both cats because I absolutely would not
leave them with someone I did not trust.

MaryL

Old March 19th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks for the replies!

I offered our cat sitter $20/vet visit, and she accepted it. I would
have liked to have just upped the monthy rate to $225 or $250, because
she's so great with Kitty, but because Kitty is being boarded for a
extended period of time (unexpectedly), that would have increased her
total fees by $200-300!