Our kitten, a fussy eater

Old March 30th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Our kitten, a fussy eater

Hello,

I was hopiong to get some advice on feeding our little 9-week old
kitten. Emphasis on little, as she's the runt out of her litter. The
kind women that raised her (and her 3 sisters after finding the mom in
a dumpster) said she had already wheened herself off milk and was
eating a mix of kitten dry & wet food. We found that she needs A LOT of
persistant encouragement to eat any food (including some cat milk we
got to fatten her up for her house warming) and when she eats out of
her bowl she picks out the wet stuff and leaves the soggy dry food...

We managed to at one point trick her into trying the dry food (as she
was falling asleep, dazed & submissing she ate it bit by bit our of our
hands hehehe) , and she at some over the next day... but it's the
wet stuff she craves. As far as we've been told the dry stuff is much
better for cats teeth and that's what we'd like to feed her. We thought
that we might mix dry/wet for the first bit to fatten her up , but
have a feeling she's just getting used to the wet stuff.

We want her to eat dry food, but at the same time, because she's so
little, EAT LOTS.

Do You think we'll have trouble weening her off the wet stuff later?
What do You suggest?

Thanks,
Mike

Old March 30th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

.. As far as we've been told the dry stuff is much
better for cats teeth and that's what we'd like to feed her. We thought
that we might mix dry/wet for the first bit to fatten her up , but
have a feeling she's just getting used to the wet stuff.

We want her to eat dry food, but at the same time, because she's so
little, EAT LOTS.

You are very fortunate and have a kitten that knows what's good for
herself!

Dry stuff isn't the best option for kitties. Any benefits to the cat's
teeth are minimal (in fact with a few exceptions non-existent) and
outweighed by the fact that dry food contains carbohydrate "Fillers"
which are not necessary to a cat's diet. Dry food has also been related
to IBD, CRF, urinary tract problems, diarhhea, allergy and dehydration.

The problem is most cats love the stuff and turn their noses up at wet
food when there's dry to be had! Guess just like us the stuff that
isn't good for them tastes better than the stuff that is!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old March 30th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Really?

That's good to know...

We're first time cat owners so we'll take your word for it, but just to
satisfy our curiosity could You suggest where we can read more on this
subject?

Thanks You,
Mike

Old March 30th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I would think at 9 weeks she's a little young for dry food just yet, it
could be hurting her fragile little teeth to crunch it. I free feed dry to
mine and when I got my 2 additions they had some wet to eat until they got
older and just started eating the dried food when they were ready.

--

Niel H

Old March 30th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Niel,

We did get her the Nutrience Transition food that's supposed to be good
for little kittens 6 week +. But as You suggest, if we do decide to go
dry (I'm not sure of this given the previous suggestion by Lesley) it
doesn't have to be just yet.

Thanks,
Mike

Old March 31st 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thank you for taking her in!

You can leave some dry kitten food out for occasional crunching, but
the cereal and fillers in it aren't the best for whole diet.

Old March 31st 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:
[...]

As young as the kitten is I would rather see the little thing eating.
If that means can food only for now that would be fine with me. In a
few months you can adopt the harder line of "when it gets hungry it'll
eat". ( I learned that from my father and it works ) For now leave out
a plate of dry food and at "mealtime" give the kitty the canned food.

--

-------------------
Old March 31st 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

oups.com...

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutritio...i ch_is_reall

Old March 31st 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...
We're first time cat owners so we'll take your word for it, but just to
satisfy our curiosity could You suggest where we can read more on this
subject?

An excellent article written by a vet:
http://www.felinediabetes.com/zorans_article.pdf

I would highly recommend feeding your kitty a mostly canned diet and
use the dry for treats.

Congrats!

Old April 2nd 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

:
: We managed to at one point trick her into trying the dry food (as she
: was falling asleep, dazed & submissing she ate it bit by bit our of our
: hands hehehe) , and she at some over the next day... but it's the
: wet stuff she craves. As far as we've been told the dry stuff is much
: better for cats teeth and that's what we'd like to feed her. We thought
: that we might mix dry/wet for the first bit to fatten her up , but
: have a feeling she's just getting used to the wet stuff.
:
: We want her to eat dry food, but at the same time, because she's so
: little, EAT LOTS.

It's the other way round. Canned food is better for cats, but dry is
cheaper and convenient for those feeding them. Most early providers
(shelters, breeders, previous owners) feed dry for that reason, cats
get used to it, and it is difficult to wean them later. You are lucky
she prefers wet. Don't even think of interferring with that smart
preference of hers. Find the brands/flavors she likes and relax. Get
premium brands if you can afford them---Iams, Fancy Feast, Pro Plan,
Science Diet, etc---they are pretty reasonable on sales.