Greenies for cats

Old April 11th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Greenies for cats

I just received a sample of Greenies for cats. I've been hearing that
some people have had problems with dogs getting intestinal obstructions
from eating these treats because they supposedly do not break down
inside the digestive tract if not properly chewed. Has anyone heard of
the same problem with cats? I gave a couple to my little chow hound,
who eats anything (no finicky feline here!) and she did crunch them up
and really seemed to like them. I just want to make sure they are safe.
Thanks.

Old April 11th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Muzzlet wrote:
I just received a sample of Greenies for cats. I've been hearing that
some people have had problems with dogs getting intestinal obstructions
from eating these treats because they supposedly do not break down
inside the digestive tract if not properly chewed. Has anyone heard of
the same problem with cats? I gave a couple to my little chow hound,
who eats anything (no finicky feline here!) and she did crunch them up
and really seemed to like them. I just want to make sure they are safe.
Thanks.

I have not heard of this problem with the cat Greenies, but I
personally wouldn't take any chances.

Rene

Old April 12th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Muzzlet wrote:
I just received a sample of Greenies for cats. I've been hearing that
some people have had problems with dogs getting intestinal obstructions
from eating these treats because they supposedly do not break down
inside the digestive tract if not properly chewed. Has anyone heard of
the same problem with cats? I gave a couple to my little chow hound,
who eats anything (no finicky feline here!) and she did crunch them up
and really seemed to like them. I just want to make sure they are safe.
Thanks.

The main problem with the greenies was that people were/are giving dogs
the wrong size,and it was blocking the digestive tract.
(example....giving a toy poodle a large or Xlarge greeny instead of the
mini size that a toy should have)

Old April 12th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Having read about dogs dying from the Greenies causing undigested blockages
I wouldn't let my cats go near them.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old April 13th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Barb wrote:

Having read about dogs dying from the Greenies causing undigested blockages
I wouldn't let my cats go near them.

Exactly. Plenty of good treats out there. For my two 4 yr old boys, I
buy Whisker Lickins tartar control hard treats and then give them some
catnip every few days for raw greens. Also, Purina Indoor Chow has
greens added. I make a mixture of that and Science Diet Oral Care chow
and they really like it. And a hairball prevention treat or three now
and then works wonders to reduce puking.

Basically, they each eat 1/2 can of Friskies prime fillets wet food
daily and I leave a bowl of the dry chow out for them to nibble on.
Water fountain nearby and they drink often.

Old April 13th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I'm coming back as one of your cats!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,