stool sample - gross questions

Old April 12th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default stool sample - gross questions

When I adopted my new kitty Isaac from the shelter they gave me a little
plastic container for a stool ample. The woman at the shelter said it
should be a fresh sample. I think that they want to check for worms,
because he's had diarrhea. I haven't had any luck catching him in the act
and he would always bury it completely before I even saw it. Now there's a
load sitting unburied in the box. It was there when I came home from work,
and I was wondering how fresh the sample would have to be. There's no
guarantee I can get him to go in the morning so I can drop it off before
work. Also, if I do get a sample how do I store it until I can drop it off
at the clinic? I'm tempted to just scoop up some of what's in the box since
it's not completely dried out or anything.

--
Liz

Old April 12th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Elizabeth Blake wrote:
When I adopted my new kitty Isaac from the shelter they gave me a little
plastic container for a stool ample. The woman at the shelter said it
should be a fresh sample. I think that they want to check for worms,
because he's had diarrhea. I haven't had any luck catching him in the act
and he would always bury it completely before I even saw it. Now there's a
load sitting unburied in the box. It was there when I came home from work,
and I was wondering how fresh the sample would have to be. There's no
guarantee I can get him to go in the morning so I can drop it off before
work. Also, if I do get a sample how do I store it until I can drop it off
at the clinic? I'm tempted to just scoop up some of what's in the box since
it's not completely dried out or anything.

--
Liz

scoop it up and take it in.It should be fine.Let know what they find

Old April 12th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message
ink.net...
When I adopted my new kitty Isaac from the shelter they gave me a little
plastic container for a stool ample. The woman at the shelter said it
should be a fresh sample. I think that they want to check for worms,
because he's had diarrhea. I haven't had any luck catching him in the act
and he would always bury it completely before I even saw it. Now there's
a load sitting unburied in the box. It was there when I came home from
work, and I was wondering how fresh the sample would have to be. There's
no guarantee I can get him to go in the morning so I can drop it off
before work. Also, if I do get a sample how do I store it until I can
drop it off at the clinic? I'm tempted to just scoop up some of what's in
the box since it's not completely dried out or anything.

--
Liz

I would take that in and have them check it. The sample should be as fresh
as possible, but it helps that this one was not buried in litter. When
buried, the litter (especially clumping litter) often causes the stool to
become too dry to check under a microscope.

MaryL

Old April 12th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

It just needs to be moist enough to see whats living in it when spread
on a slide. It's too difficult to identify worms and such when its dry
and dusty, but short of that, go for it.

Old April 12th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks.
I did scoop some up last night and of course he went again this morning.
The sample from last night is still very wet so I'll bring that in.
He doesn't seem to be getting any better. He doesn't sneeze much and his
eyes look good, but his coughing is awful to hear. Hopefully they won't
find anything in his poop to worry about.

--
Liz

Old April 13th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Lots of vets will see the cat whether you've got the stool or not, then
you can follow-up with the stool later. Point is, no need to wait for a
perfect specimen to seek treatment.

Best wishes to you and your little guy; I hope he's okay.

Old April 13th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

LB wrote:
Lots of vets will see the cat whether you've got the stool or not, then
you can follow-up with the stool later. Point is, no need to wait for a
perfect specimen to seek treatment.

Best wishes to you and your little guy; I hope he's okay.

Its best to bring in a stool sample,but we can still get one if you
dont........ (as long as the animal has stool in the bowels that is)

What were the test results?

Old April 14th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"LB" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lots of vets will see the cat whether you've got the stool or not, then
you can follow-up with the stool later. Point is, no need to wait for a
perfect specimen to seek treatment.

Best wishes to you and your little guy; I hope he's okay.

He's already seen the vet. They had given him worm medication at the
shelter and this is a follow-up to see if his poop is okay.

--
Liz

Old April 14th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Sherri" wrote in message
oups.com...

LB wrote:
Lots of vets will see the cat whether you've got the stool or not, then
you can follow-up with the stool later. Point is, no need to wait for a
perfect specimen to seek treatment.

Best wishes to you and your little guy; I hope he's okay.

Its best to bring in a stool sample,but we can still get one if you
dont........ (as long as the animal has stool in the bowels that is)

What were the test results?

I forgot to call today. I had a doctor's appointment for myself (for a
change!) so I'll have to call tomorrow. He has no trouble going, but he was
burying it so fast that I couldn't get a clean sample.

--
Liz

Old April 17th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I forgot to call today. I had a doctor's appointment for myself (for a
change!) so I'll have to call tomorrow. He has no trouble going, but he was
burying it so fast that I couldn't get a clean sample.

--
Liz

don't worry about it being buried. The stool is broken
open and smeared on a slide, so it doesn't matter.

LT