Cat urine odor ?

Old May 15th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Default Cat urine odor ?

Hi,

Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home. My
aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3 months to
find new homes for them. The question that I have involves cat urine odor in
the house. The house requires a lot of work but I cant seem to get any one
to work in there because of the odor. Does anyone know of any solutions to
remove the urine odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
daveJ

Old May 16th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

davej wrote:
Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home. My
aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3 months to
find new homes for them. The question that I have involves cat urine odor in
the house. The house requires a lot of work but I cant seem to get any one
to work in there because of the odor. Does anyone know of any solutions to
remove the urine odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Open the windows. Wash the floors that don't have carpeting.

While they dry, pull up the carpeting and the padding, throw it away.

Wash the formerly carpeted floors, allow to dry, then apply a
poyurethane sealer. Even if you plan to recarpet, this is a necessary
step.

By now the house should be at least tolerable. Be sure to take all the
trash out; don't leave it piled up waiting for trash day. Get a bunch
of plug-in air fresheners and put in each room, and keep those windows
open.

Wash the window screens. (someone's probably sprayed them.)

Wash the walls, esp the lower three feet. You might have to remove and
replace any wainscoting or wallpaper.

Concrete-floored basement? Get everything up off the floor and wash
that.

Urine is water-soluble but it requires cleaning products and throrough
rinsing. Some vendors have black lights that will show the location of
any remaining puddles.

Good luck! HTH

--Karen D.

Old May 16th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Try this.

http://www.urine-off.com/

I talked to a friend who used it and they said it worked well.

Char

Old June 2nd 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

The Following is idea I found earlier:

Buy a litre of Vodka and pour it over a scrapper so it spreads
over the entire area. Put plenty down, the smell well make your eyes
water but as it dries in about two days the area will be clean, you
should have no more problems. The Alcohol reacts with the urine,
changing it to a different substance hence the smell, but it's one cat's
don't associate with peeing.

Old June 5th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Never heard of using Vodka! Interesting concept! The smell may be
toxic fumes!

I always suggest using enzymatic cleaners since they change the urine
to water in little time. You may need to do this more than once, but
things should be tolerable in short order. Remove all carpet and
padding, and follow the advice given above. Spray the enzymatic
cleaner over all wall surfaces before you paint with a sealer, like
KILZ.

Please use the enzymatic cleaner before you seal the floors, since the
poly won't stick if the urine crystalizes, and the odor problem will
return with a vengence.

On sealed floors, use Polyphenyl cleaner, like PineSol. You can use
this on concrete, too, as long as the concrete was sealed before urine
hit it. If not, use a skunk deodorizer first.

Don't use bleach which contains chlorine.

Morgen
http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com

Old June 5th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Morgen wrote:
Never heard of using Vodka! Interesting concept! The smell may be
toxic fumes!

After the second pint, cat aroma is no longer discernable.

--Karen D.
"taste the vodka to be sure it is of the highest quality"