Otto's not eating, medication questions

Old May 20th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Otto's not eating, medication questions

My cat Otto, almost 7 years old, started acting weird Wednesday. On
Thursday he went to the vet who diagnosed colitis. He said it would
probably pass in a few days and it could have been brought on by stress.
Otto barely ate breakfast on Wednesday (and threw up what he did eat) and
did not eat dinner on Wednesday night, or breakfast THursday morning. He
went to the vet Thursday afternoon.

The vet gave me 2 prescriptions, Flagyl for his mucousy diarrhea and Reglan
for his appetite. Each pill was cut into quarters and I was told to give
him 1/4 pill half an hour before each meal. When Tiger crashed in March,
she was also prescribed 1/4 of Reglan twice a day but it did nothing for her
appetite.

So, Otto is still barely eating. This morning I decided to try his regular
food again instead of the Hill's I/D prescription. He ate a bit (Science
Diet chicken, I think) and then walked away. I opened a can of tuna and put
a little of the water on his food and he lapped it up. Later he kept
looking at me and got excited when I opened the fridge, so I gave him more.
I had put about 1/4 can of the food in his bowl and by putting tuna water in
it, he ate about half of that.

I'm going to pick up baby food on my way home from work to see if he'll eat
that. I don't think it's good to keep giving him tuna water, but will get
more tuna if that's the only way he'll eat. He's not even interested in the
fish, just the liquid. This morning was the most he's eaten since Tuesday.

Is 1/4 of a Reglan tablet too low a dose? And what's with the 1/4 Flagyl?
When I adopted Isaac last month he was sent home with Flagyl, and he was
getting a full pill at a time. I think it's good not to overmedicate, but
if he's being given such a low dose that it's not even helping, that's not
good either.

--
Liz

Old May 21st 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I'm sorry Otto still isn't feeling well. I always thought that Reglan was
for controlling vomiting, not to increase appetite. I really don't know much
about the dosage. Try the baby food. Make sure it doesn't contain onions.
Whenever my cat had a episode of vomiting and lack of appetite, he never
turned his nose up to baby food. If he doesn't start eating normally soon,
I'd talk to your vet.

Good luck.

Sue

Old May 21st 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
I'm sorry Otto still isn't feeling well. I always thought that Reglan was
for controlling vomiting, not to increase appetite. I really don't know
much about the dosage. Try the baby food. Make sure it doesn't contain
onions. Whenever my cat had a episode of vomiting and lack of appetite, he
never turned his nose up to baby food. If he doesn't start eating
normally soon, I'd talk to your vet.

Good luck.

Sue

When Tiger crashed in March and now with Otto, the vet said he would give me
something to stimulate the appetite. Otto threw up Wednesday morning and
possibly Tuesday night, but nothing after that (except some white foamy
stuff) because he wasn't eating. Tiger hadn't been throwing up at all.

Tonight when I went to feed him, Otto was very excited and was even jumping
up at me. I bought some Gerber chicken baby food (chicken, water, corn
starch) and put it down. Nothing. I opened the fridge and he got very
excited again. I took out the container of tuna and poured some water on
the baby food, along with a few chunks of tuna. He lapped up the water and
the chunks that didn't fall into the baby food and wanted more. I pressed
out the last of the liquid and put more tuna chunks in and he ate them.
Then I got out the plain cooked ground chicken I made for him on Thursday
and put some of that in the bowl and he ate it all, so I just gave him some
more.

Hopefully he'll keep this up. He was very animated tonight which was good
to see. Tomorrow I might try him on some of his regular food again, with a
little tuna and/or chicken. Hopefully he'll be back to eating like normal
by Monday, which is what the vet predicted.

--
Liz