Kitten: Doesn't Like to Be Picked Up

Old June 1st 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Kitten: Doesn't Like to Be Picked Up

We live out in the "boonies" as it were, and have 2 "established" cats as it
were whom we've had for 6+ months or more and are happy with them as they
are, no problems.

We found a 3rd one outside in the yard as a kitten, a stray, and we took it
in and have been caring for it, this is about 2 weeks or so. It's doing
fine, and it's a cute little thing.

The only thing that irks me about this kitten is that it is generally
friendly & so forth, but if you dare pick it up, no matter how you hold it
when doing so, it screams bloody murder and protests. It can't stand it. It
will meow loudly and squirm like a pig.

It obviously can't stand being held, but frankly I have no place in my home
for a cat that doesn't like to be held. I have been told that some cats are
"just that way," that it's nothing personal. I'm sorry, but to me it is
totally 100% personal, and very offensive. To me it's a form of "snobbery"
and I don't like it.

We have 2 other cats here that don't mind it one bit, to me if this one is
going to stay this way it's just another mouth to feed that, frankly, isn't
"earning its keep" the way the other 2 are.

Since it is just a kitten, I'm willing to allow the possibility that it
might change and be OK with you holding it when it gets older. But if it's
always going to protest, I'm going to put an ad in the paper and give it
away.

Do you think that, since it is just a kitten, the odds are pretty good it
will grow to not hate behing picked up so much, that it's just a "baby
kitten stage" or whatever, or is it more likely a permanent part of its
personality?

LRH

Old June 1st 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:32:50 GMT, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
wrote:

We live out in the "boonies" as it were, and have 2 "established" cats as it
were whom we've had for 6+ months or more and are happy with them as they
are, no problems.

We found a 3rd one outside in the yard as a kitten, a stray, and we took it
in and have been caring for it, this is about 2 weeks or so. It's doing
fine, and it's a cute little thing.

The only thing that irks me about this kitten is that it is generally
friendly & so forth, but if you dare pick it up, no matter how you hold it
when doing so, it screams bloody murder and protests. It can't stand it. It
will meow loudly and squirm like a pig.

I have two cats. Nipsy is a mush that you can hold upside down and rub
his belly or do just about anything to. He's not too bright and pretty
much is a lump. Espy will not tolerate being picked up and isn't a big
one for petting in any way. He's also very smart, talks all the time,
and is very entertaining.

For the once in a while that Espy decides to come over and sit in my
lap, which he does very awkwardly, I treasure the honor. It often
seems to come at a very inconvenient time, I notice.

Each cat is different and it is those differences that make them
unique. I think that you'll learn to treasure those times when Cat #3
graces you with a rub or a lap sit.
Old June 1st 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

My youngest cat has never liked being picked up - and gives the same
almost huffy squeals and wriggles until I put her down. I just assume
she doesn't like it, or gets scared of the height.

She makes up for it in other ways though, she likes to be up high and
paws the air for me to come close enough for her to butt me with her
head.

Cats like to do things on their terms - you'll find other ways of
giving/getting affection from your new kitten...

(Think about how you might feel being swept up by something 50 times
your size and lifted 30 feet into the air - wouldn't you scream too?)

Old June 1st 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
[...]

I think you are incorrectly associating human behavior (ie: snobbery,
100% personal, very offensive) characteristics with felines.

The kitten may eventually grow out of that and become more tolerant, but
may never like being held or picked up.

Felines are very much individuals with their own personalities, we
cannot expect them nor should we want them to all be the same.

There are two possible reasons for this... that the kitten just don't
like being handled much -or- that the kitten was not handled much by
humans when it was young.

Handle the kitten on a regular daily basis and be very gentle. Let it go
when the squirming gets aggressive. Perhaps entice the kitten to stay on
your lap with treats or through some method of play the kitten enjoys.

Try different forms of handling, such as turning the kitten over on it's
tummy and giving it a belly rub without actually holding it. Show it
that there are pleasures to being handled by humans. Do not give it a
hard time at all when you handle it, because that will just reinforce
the concept that being handled by humans is not a good thing.

Patience and being gentle is very important.

Old June 1st 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Here we go again. Same troll, different year...

TROLL O - METER

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
--------------------------------------
^

Old June 1st 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"P No Gree G O" wrote in message
Here we go again. Same troll, different year...

TROLL O - METER

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
--------------------------------------
^

Yep, this is the same guy who claimed to shoot stray cats who wandered onto
his property. [Sorry, Larry, some of us have long memories.]

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 1st 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Same guy that did this quote

"It" does even better. It is a living & breathing thing, but it's an
animal. I've always thought that only humans deserved such a
distinction. Humans & animals are distinctly different, and "it" is
one way to stress that.

Doesn't mean I don't love her--I do--but my cat, well, it's not my
entire life.

Old June 1st 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Or my favorite

"Exactly--as well they shouldn't. Humans deserve superior protections
under the law vs. animals. Animals are not people and should not be
promoted to the same tier, despite numerous persons who state that
their pets are like their children are to others. That's a bit much.
And I like both of our cats, like them a lot--but children they are
NOT"

Old June 1st 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"P No Gree G O" wrote in message
Here we go again. Same troll, different year...

TROLL O - METER

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
^

Yep, this is the same guy who claimed to shoot stray cats who wandered

onto
his property. [Sorry, Larry, some of us have long memories.]

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

That's why I thought "Hello, Asshole" was an appropriate response.