What is required age for rabies shot?

Old June 8th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default What is required age for rabies shot?

Six of my cats were born last August 7, and were spay/neutered at
age 5 months. But they have not had rabies shots yet. I need to
know the legally required age for the first rabies shot. Thanks for
any info.

Old June 8th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Calvin Rice wrote:
Six of my cats were born last August 7, and were spay/neutered at
age 5 months. But they have not had rabies shots yet. I need to
know the legally required age for the first rabies shot. Thanks for
any info.

They can get their 1st rabies vac at 12 weeks and later. I'm surprised
they vet didnt give it to them when they got spay/neuter.

Old June 8th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Sherri wrote:
Calvin Rice wrote:
Six of my cats were born last August 7, and were spay/neutered at
age 5 months. But they have not had rabies shots yet. I need to
know the legally required age for the first rabies shot. Thanks for
any info.

They can get their 1st rabies vac at 12 weeks and later. I'm surprised
they vet didnt give it to them when they got spay/neuter.

Thank you for the answer, but what I'm trying to find out is what the
law requires. Yes, I was told that they could have had the shots when
they were spay/neutered, but I didn't want anything extra that could
make them uncomfortable at that time.

Maybe the law varies from state to state, but what in general is the
legal requirement for the age a cat must have the first rabies shot?
My state is Georgia, by the way.

Old June 8th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Calvin Rice" wrote in message

Maybe the law varies from state to state, but what in general is the
legal requirement for the age a cat must have the first rabies shot?
My state is Georgia, by the way.

As per Georgia Department of Agriculture (Google search)-

"By Georgia law, dogs, cats, and ferrets must get rabies vaccination when
they are twelve weeks of age or older and every year after that."

http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,...729045,00.html

They do not list an age at which time lack of a vaccine is "illegal", which
is what I think you are looking for.

There is detailed imformation here in the Georgia Rabies Control Manual
(also Google) http://tinyurl.com/kweo4 ., but again I am unable to find an
upper limit age.Your veterinarian would of course be more help to you on
this.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Old June 8th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks for the information. Before I posted the question
I had already made vet appointments for tomorrow and
Tuesday for 8 of my 10 cats to have rabies shots. The
other two aren't due until August, and the two adults
gettimg shots now are overdue.

But I wasn't sure if the law requires me to get rabies shots
for the 6 young ones (10 months) before they are a year
old or not. In any case they will have them tomorrow and
Tuesday.

Old June 9th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

The law is different everywhere. You might do a web search for your
county and state.

In our county, they are not required at all for cats. One county over,
they are required.

Rhonda