Road Traffic

Old June 16th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Road Traffic

Hello,

I have a young cat aged 12 months hes a Tom who has been neutered he
strays from our garden every day and is gone 7 hours he has once been
found having travelled a pedestrian flyover over a Motorway he was
taken back by a neightbour.

I rang the vet about this behaviour he said to restrict his food thats
only been partly sucessful..

Hes an exceptionally friendly cat does anyone have any suggestions as
to what I can do to keep my Cat safe from road traffic?

Regards.

Old June 16th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I have a young cat aged 12 months hes a Tom who has been neutered he
strays from our garden every day and is gone 7 hours he has once been
found having travelled a pedestrian flyover over a Motorway he was
taken back by a neightbour.

I rang the vet about this behaviour he said to restrict his food thats
only been partly sucessful..

Hes an exceptionally friendly cat does anyone have any suggestions as
to what I can do to keep my Cat safe from road traffic?

Regards.

I only know of two things. The first -- and most obvious -- suggestion is
to keep your cat indoors. He will be much safer, and mine (including a
former feral that lived to be about 20 years old) have been very happy as
inddor cats.

If that is not acceptable to you, then the only other thing I know to do is
to fence your yard with cat-proof fencing. You are well on your way if you
already have a wooden fence because there is a system where wire can be
placed at the top -- sloped inward to keep cats in or outward to keep other
cats out (or possibly both). If you don't have a wooden fence, there is
some wire mesh (some almost invisible) fencing that a cat cannot climb.
Some of it is intended to keep deer out, too. Unfortunately, a lot of these
possibilities can be pretty pricey. I do have some links I can provide if
you want to see some pictures.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Old June 16th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
[...]

Follow-up: In addition to fencing a whole yard, I have seen some very nice
setups where a *portion* of the yard was enclosed (including covering the
top), and the cats had access either to the house or to the encloure. Some
of the pictures I mentioned in my previous post show this type of setup.

MaryL

Old June 16th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I have a young cat aged 12 months hes a Tom who has been neutered he
strays from our garden every day and is gone 7 hours he has once been
found having travelled a pedestrian flyover over a Motorway he was
taken back by a neightbour.

I rang the vet about this behaviour he said to restrict his food thats
only been partly sucessful..

Hes an exceptionally friendly cat does anyone have any suggestions as
to what I can do to keep my Cat safe from road traffic?

Regards.

I would think about fencing the garden so he can't get out.
I would be worried that as he is friendly he might get stolen.
Does he have a cat flap? if he is shut out all day , he might wander
further. If you are home during the day you could try feeding small meals
to keep him around.
Alison

Old June 16th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I have a young cat aged 12 months hes a Tom who has been neutered he
strays from our garden every day and is gone 7 hours he has once been
found having travelled a pedestrian flyover over a Motorway he was
taken back by a neightbour.

I rang the vet about this behaviour he said to restrict his food thats
only been partly sucessful..

Hes an exceptionally friendly cat does anyone have any suggestions as
to what I can do to keep my Cat safe from road traffic?

Yeah, it's simple: Don't let your cat out.