Clawing at mouth

Old June 27th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Clawing at mouth

I'm wondering if anybody could help . My kitten who is 6 weeks old has
recently started clawing at her mouth causing it to bleed. This happens
usually after taking a bite of food but yesterday she was doing it even when
not eating, she would claw at her mouth with both paws every 20 seconds or so.
I took her to the vets who seemed to be at a loss as the cause of this,
stating "she's never seen anything like it before". She was kept at the vets
overnight for observation, and now although not all the time she is still
clawing at her mouth when eating. The vet has prescribed antepsin but I can't
see how this will help.
Old June 27th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Get her to another vet for another opinion. Maybe a broken tooth?
Something [fishbone] stuck in tongue or gum? Cats don't act like that
if there isn't a reason.

Old June 28th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

mishy2606 wrote:
I'm wondering if anybody could help . My kitten who is 6 weeks old has
recently started clawing at her mouth causing it to bleed. This happens
usually after taking a bite of food but yesterday she was doing it even when
not eating, she would claw at her mouth with both paws every 20 seconds or so.
I took her to the vets who seemed to be at a loss as the cause of this,
stating "she's never seen anything like it before". She was kept at the vets
overnight for observation, and now although not all the time she is still
clawing at her mouth when eating. The vet has prescribed antepsin but I can't
see how this will help.

She has something stuck in her throat or wrapped around the base of her
tongue. Have them look *really* well and take an x-ray.

-L.

Old June 28th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mishy2606 via CatKB.com

Thanks for the advice, however I have noticed that if I put her food in a
blender and make it really smooth she doesn't seem to claw her mouth as much,
do you think that it may be the small lumps in the food that is causing the
problem?

Old June 28th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy

No, I don't think it is small lumps of food - she wouldn't be clawing
herself and making her mouth bleed if it were just food. Get her to
another vet.

Old June 28th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

mishy2606 via CatKB.com wrote:
Thanks for the advice, however I have noticed that if I put her food in a
blender and make it really smooth she doesn't seem to claw her mouth as much,
do you think that it may be the small lumps in the food that is causing the
problem?

What kind of food are you feeding her? A 6-wk old kitten needs to be
on an exclusively canned kitten food diet, which is easy to eat.

-L.

Old June 29th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail Futoran

"Buddy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Get her to another vet for another opinion. Maybe a broken tooth?
Something [fishbone] stuck in tongue or gum? Cats don't act like that
if there isn't a reason.

I agree and would add a pin or needle stuck between
the teeth or into the gum could have that effect and
be really hard to find.

Gail F.
Proud Possession of Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

Old June 29th 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mishy2606 via CatKB.com

She's being fed on Whiskers (wet) Kitten food and since the visit to the vet
she's been fed on Hills Scienceplan (wet) Kitten food. She is still very
playful and doesn't show any discomfort when chewing toys (or my fingers).

Old June 30th 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bit-o-honey

mishy2606 wrote:
I'm wondering if anybody could help . My kitten who is 6 weeks old has
recently started clawing at her mouth causing it to bleed.

This sounds like itchy mites

TOTALLY THOROUGHLY sterilize her bedding, and her food and water bowl

throw out any toys she has..

she's got something nasty growin on her lips

something is itching her lips