Lost Cat - Any ideas ?

Old July 6th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Lost Cat - Any ideas ?

Our indoor cat bolted out an open door recently. My wife went after
him, but after following for a block or two she lost track of him. This
was about 30 hours ago and he hasn't returned yet. He has spent 2
nights outside so far and we're getting worried now. His previous owner
had him declawed (I'm really ****ed about that !) so that adds to the
problem of being outdoors. We searched in about a 2 block radius for a
long time, but found nothing. I also set a Hav-A-Heart trap last night
with no luck. Today I'm making up flyers to distribute around the
neighborhood - maybe that will help. Any other ideas ? This is like
torture just waiting for something to happen.

Thanks for any advice you can give, Tom D.

Old July 6th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Make posters and post them on trees around the area (with pix of the cat, if
possible). Distribute flyers to local vet offices and neighbors. Put his
used litter around your property. Place a missing ad in your local paper. I
do hope you find him.
Gail
oups.com...

Old July 6th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

One more thing you might want to do is to check all the local shelters
and post a poster with it's pic there and give one to the person
there.

Old July 6th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Go from door to door and show them a picture of the cat, and leave your
phone number. That saved my aunt and uncle's cat -- someone heard a
mewing and called them.

Also ask all of your neighbors to open up and check all garages and out
buildings. Cats get locked in buildings all of the time! One on another
group was just found after being locked in a garage for a week.

Contact all shelters you can think of and let them know your cat is missing.

You might also put out some of your clothes that were recently worn so
she has your scent. Maybe sleep in an old t-shirt and leave it outside.

Good luck!

Rhonda

Old July 7th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
oups.com...
Our indoor cat bolted out an open door recently. My wife went after
him, but after following for a block or two she lost track of him. This
was about 30 hours ago and he hasn't returned yet. He has spent 2
nights outside so far and we're getting worried now. His previous owner
had him declawed (I'm really ****ed about that !) so that adds to the
problem of being outdoors. We searched in about a 2 block radius for a
long time, but found nothing. I also set a Hav-A-Heart trap last night
with no luck. Today I'm making up flyers to distribute around the
neighborhood - maybe that will help. Any other ideas ? This is like
torture just waiting for something to happen.

Thanks for any advice you can give, Tom D.

In addition to the other suggestions, I would
continue walking around the neighborhood
calling the cat's name. I've had several cats
go walkabout and came home days or a week
later after I persisted in walking around and
calling them.

Gail F.
Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

Old July 7th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

How long have you had the cat?

and he bolted out the door?

maybe he went home

call his old house?

Had him for 7 months now. He's been getting more and more interested in
what's beyond the door lately. Hope he's not trying to go back to his
old home - it's 80 miles away !!

Old July 7th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote :

Had him for 7 months now. He's been getting more and more interested in
what's beyond the door lately. Hope he's not trying to go back to his
old home - it's 80 miles away !!

I really feel for you. I worried over this when I first got my last cat.

Have you always lived in the same place?

I think I would certainly sit outside with his favorite food, if you can
do that.

Old July 7th 06, 10:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

wrote:
Our indoor cat bolted out an open door recently. My wife went after
him, but after following for a block or two she lost track of him. This
was about 30 hours ago and he hasn't returned yet. He has spent 2
nights outside so far and we're getting worried now. His previous owner
had him declawed (I'm really ****ed about that !) so that adds to the
problem of being outdoors. We searched in about a 2 block radius for a
long time, but found nothing. I also set a Hav-A-Heart trap last night
with no luck. Today I'm making up flyers to distribute around the
neighborhood - maybe that will help. Any other ideas ? This is like
torture just waiting for something to happen.

What's the climate in your area? Cold or warm? Wet or dry? And what's
the traffic climate? Busy or quiet?

The cat may hide under a car to avoid traffic, or to warm up (in a cold
or wet climate) if the car just parked . One of my cats had been gone
for a whole week and I was giving up on any hope for a safe return.
With a whole bunch of posters hanging around the neighborhood he was
finally found (by another cat owner) hiding under a car, 150 feet from
his original home.

If there's animal-loving kids in your neighbourhood, then you may want
to recruit them in the search. Kids notice lots of stuff, and seem to
discover every single corner of a neighbourhood, but may not register
or report a sighting if they're not aware the cat is missing. Even with
posters hanging around, some kids may consider the posters to be a
message for adults. Ask a bunch of kids playing if they've spotted your
cat and even if they haven't, they're likely to keep an eye out for him
(maybe after having asked you about the level of reward). Ensure the
kids will be able to find you if they spot him but be prepared for
false sightings.

Good luck,

Martin

Old July 7th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. I've already put many of
them into action. So far I've made up flyers and passed them around the
neighborhood, Set out a humane trap with his favorite food as bait,
searched the neighborhood on foot, and a few other things. My real fear
is that someone who liked him just decided to keep him or that he met
with an accident. I'll keep everyone posted and ... Thanks again for
your interest.

Tom D.