Wondering if certain foods are okay for cats.

Old July 13th 06, 09:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lucy707 via CatKB.com

Default Wondering if certain foods are okay for cats.

Hi. I was just wondering if there are any safe fruits or veggies that I could
feed to my cat. Everytime I eat she begs for food, and of course I don't give
her any, but I still feel bad and I was wondering if there's anything that I
could give her as a treat once in a while so she doesn't fell like she's
being left out or anything. I read somewhere that cucumbers I think were fine
for them. I do have theses tartar control snacks, but they don't seem to
satisfy her because I'll give her a few when I eat but she polishes them off
and then begs for my food. So any advice? Thanks.

Old July 13th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bttngl

Location: North Miami, FL USA
Send a message via AIM to Bttngl Send a message via Yahoo to Bttngl

Hi Lucy, If you check under Holistic Veterinarians in Google search for
your area, talk to a vet about human food additives for cats.
Here's one link : http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/vetlist.htm
I do know that my cat when she was younger loved green peas like they
were candy and green beans some, but the fresh/frozen green peas she
still loves. For a treat now, I give her Temptations - she loves
Chicken or Turkey flavored. But when we are out, I save the bag and
put cheap cat food in it and do a big Treat TODO over them and she
loves it just the same. Treats you have to be careful of caloric
weight gain. Man, the cat can pack on the fat if you are too loose
with the packaged treats or with smorgasborg of all you can eat rich
cat foods all the time. We learned to take our cat's food up at night
- protects from night crawling bugs - spills if we have to get up and
might bump it by accident - or from being gobbled up from a bored cat
with nothing to do all night but to listen for crickets outside and eat
catfood and stand "guard"!! Personally, I say catfood. If she is sick
and starts after my artificial plants, we get grass from outside.....is
that ok for a sick tummy or hair balls? It worked for her, Any way
that's my story and that's more than enough. Sorry to be so long.
Bttngl

Old July 13th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

I've got a cat who is crazy about eating corn off the cob--I hold the cob
and he'll bite off kernels. He'd go after the cob, too, if I let him.
Several of my cats will nibble on cooked broccoli and peas. They don't seem
to go after fruit as much. Avoid onions and I believe garlic--they cause
severe disease in cats and dogs.

Bonnie

Old July 13th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

Bttngl wrote:
If she is sick
and starts after my artificial plants, we get grass from outside.....is
that ok for a sick tummy or hair balls? It worked for her, Any way
that's my story and that's more than enough. Sorry to be so long.
Bttngl

You're better off to give your cat something like wheat grass. Grass
from outside can be sprayed with pesticides. I grow wheat grass for my
cats and they love it.

Old July 13th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lucy707 via CatKB.com

22brix wrote:
I've got a cat who is crazy about eating corn off the cob--I hold the cob
and he'll bite off kernels. He'd go after the cob, too, if I let him.
Several of my cats will nibble on cooked broccoli and peas. They don't seem
to go after fruit as much. Avoid onions and I believe garlic--they cause
severe disease in cats and dogs.

Bonnie

Hi. I was just wondering if there are any safe fruits or veggies that I
could

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
off
and then begs for my food. So any advice? Thanks.

thanks everyone. I tried the frozen green beans and she loved it!

Old July 13th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bttngl

Location: North Miami, FL USA
Send a message via AIM to Bttngl Send a message via Yahoo to Bttngl

Thanks I really appreciate that because it is so frustrating when it
something "simple" and she is "telling" us she wants
"grass".....wheatgrass.... pet store? Grow it in a flower pot? Honest,
I never did a yard or a garden, was a city person, except on a chicken
farm and believe me - the lawn was not any matter then. Thanks.."paws"
God Bless You... bttngl