Cats totally destroy all their toys

Old July 24th 06, 06:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul

Default Cats totally destroy all their toys

one and half year old brothers, neutered....big guys and full of
it...Iam saving up for a cat tree for them, we live in small 2 bdrm
apart, the don't go outside

they loved the Da Bird but chewed the string in half, loved that toy
its a tube, hande with a wire a feather that you can make the feather
put in & out, they chewed up the feathers, the wire thing w/ one end 3
or 4 rolled tight, the other 1 rolled tight chewed off the ends and
theirs so many other toys they destroy

they don;t like balls, mice, even one stuffed w.catnip...the will play
w/ the rings around a milk carton

any ideas? I'm stumped.....and bored cat means a cat that gets into to
trouble and they do

Lynn

Old July 24th 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
angel

ensoul wrote:

any ideas? I'm stumped.....and bored cat means a cat that gets into to
trouble and they do

haha

this is a good thing really

they have found a way to express maybe... boredom...who knows..
but.. you got it down to a toy, a cheap price for a good end result

I bite my nails..
your cats chew up toys

so they like milk jug rings hey...

i think they won't like anything they CANT destroy (this is a clue)

i suppose just be careful what they may ingest
i dont know about milk rings, how'd you figure that one out...

toss them a milk ring did ya?

better to provide them something they can destroy rather than
Keep them from biting their nails...(so to say)...

otherwise, as you say they will backbuild... which is no good (this
might create other behavior problems.. like.. miscellaneous revenges..)
cats do get their revenge, yes they do... they don't forget, this is
part of the reason we love them like we do... we don't get by with
anything... it's a classic act of love, haha

they are also probably more inclined to want what they should not have
SO
maybe put the cat chew toys you bought, in findable places near things
they aren't supposed to have. it's funner to have what you are not
supposed to have...

your cats are having fun yes, and the nice aggressive chewing thing is
also a good mental diversion.. if it is a diversion at all...

my cats don't chew on anything, they don't have any binkys or regular
toys..
they eat, sleep and fight, eat sleep and fight (play)... all the time.

Old July 24th 06, 11:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barb

How about a nice, tall cat tree. Expensive but it can go a long way. They
will love it and they are not easy to destroy.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old July 24th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin

"ensoul" wrote in news:1153719483.926897.261010
@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

one and half year old brothers, neutered....big guys and full of
it...Iam saving up for a cat tree for them, we live in small 2 bdrm
apart, the don't go outside

they loved the Da Bird but chewed the string in half, loved that toy
its a tube, hande with a wire a feather that you can make the feather
put in & out, they chewed up the feathers, the wire thing w/ one end

3
or 4 rolled tight, the other 1 rolled tight chewed off the ends and
theirs so many other toys they destroy

they don;t like balls, mice, even one stuffed w.catnip...the will play
w/ the rings around a milk carton

any ideas? I'm stumped.....and bored cat means a cat that gets into

trouble and they do

Lynn

Mine loves the tissue paper presents are wrapped in. Put a few sheets
on the floor, fluff them up and pull a string underneath until it
disappears. They can't resist something that disappears. Also put a
couple of milk carton rings underneath so they can feel them there.
(Get the tissue paper at the dollar store, or use old dress making
patterns which you can get cheaply at the Salvation Army type secondhand
stores.)

Bobble

--
Save the earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

Sonny's web page -- http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html
Old July 24th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kraut

one and half year old brothers, neutered....big guys and full of
it...Iam saving up for a cat tree for them, we live in small 2 bdrm
apart, the don't go outside

they loved the Da Bird but chewed the string in half, loved that toy
its a tube, hande with a wire a feather that you can make the feather
put in & out, they chewed up the feathers, the wire thing w/ one end 3
or 4 rolled tight, the other 1 rolled tight chewed off the ends and
theirs so many other toys they destroy

they don;t like balls, mice, even one stuffed w.catnip...the will play
w/ the rings around a milk carton

any ideas? I'm stumped.....and bored cat means a cat that gets into to
trouble and they do

Lynn

Do like I do. Keep replacing their toys !! I replace their favorites
at least once a month because between the four of them they destroy
them faste then I can threaten to make fur hats out of them !!

Old July 24th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ann

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:38:03 -0700, ensoul wrote:

one and half year old brothers, neutered....big guys and full of
it...Iam saving up for a cat tree for them, we live in small 2 bdrm
apart, the don't go outside

they loved the Da Bird but chewed the string in half, loved that toy its
a tube, hande with a wire a feather that you can make the feather put in
& out, they chewed up the feathers, the wire thing w/ one end 3 or 4
rolled tight, the other 1 rolled tight chewed off the ends and theirs so
many other toys they destroy

they don;t like balls, mice, even one stuffed w.catnip...the will play
w/ the rings around a milk carton

any ideas? I'm stumped.....and bored cat means a cat that gets into to
trouble and they do

Lynn

They sound like nice, healthy, curious cats. I've found that having cats
doesn't exactly go with being a neatnik (I'm not). They like simple stuff
like paper balls, ping pong balls, the cardboard tubes from paper towel
and tp rolls, boxes, bags, rope "snakes", old socks stuffed with paper,
etc. I have a cord tied to a section of fishing pole that I use to play
with the kittens and they will also play with it on their own. For some
unknown reason, they have a fondness for brooms; stand one up in a corner
and it's soon on the floor. Feathers are no problem because I live in the
country and the wild turkeys do naturally shed a few; ditto with catnip,
which is a natural wildflower (ok, weed). I haven't gathered any catnip
for the kittens because they're wired enough as it is. g As I'm typing
this, one of the kittens is doing a raccoon imitation; carrying the rope
snake to the water dish, dropping it in, then fishing it out ... repeat.

It doesn't take much to make a simple climbing post; a length of 2x4 and a
carpet remnant from Walmart. If you can't put holes in the walls, you
could attach it the back of a piece of furniture. Things to watch out for
are that the base is heavy enough to keep it from falling over and that
the screws, nails or staples used to attach the carpet to the 2x4 can't
come out.
Old July 24th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brenda

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 05:56:41 -0500, "Barb"
wrote:

How about a nice, tall cat tree. Expensive but it can go a long way. They
will love it and they are not easy to destroy.

You can make a good cat tree for little money. Here's how I did it
many years ago when I had no money.

Get a tire, fill it with gravel. Cut two pieces of 1" plywood in a
circle, put on both sides of the tire. Cut a 8 by 8 hole in one of
the pieces. Get a 6 foot tall post 8 inches by 8 inches. Put it
through the tire and nail it to the bottom piece of plywood. I used
small angle iron to attach it to the top piece of plywood.

Cut plywood shelves about 15 inches square, and place with angle
brackets to the post on different sides, so the cats can jump from one
to another. At the top, construct a house of three sides and a top
with a hole cut so the cats can climb up into the house.

The key to this is burlap. I went to a fabric store and bought
colorful burlap, and used elmer's glue to glue it in place.

I made this when the two cats were very tiny, and they used it for 8
years, until we moved and couldn't take it with us. They loved it,
climbed on it, jumped off it, slept on it, used it for a scratching
post.
Every so often I would have to glue some more burlap on it.
Get creative, you can make something instead of buying one of those
expensive things.

Brenda
Old July 24th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RB

ensoul wrote:
one and half year old brothers, neutered....big guys and full of
it...Iam saving up for a cat tree for them, we live in small 2 bdrm
apart, the don't go outside

they loved the Da Bird but chewed the string in half, loved that toy
its a tube, hande with a wire a feather that you can make the feather
put in & out, they chewed up the feathers, the wire thing w/ one end 3
or 4 rolled tight, the other 1 rolled tight chewed off the ends and
theirs so many other toys they destroy

they don;t like balls, mice, even one stuffed w.catnip...the will play
w/ the rings around a milk carton

any ideas? I'm stumped.....and bored cat means a cat that gets into to
trouble and they do

Lynn

Furtunately, most cats will enjoy simple and inexpensive toys. One
thing that that I have found will occupy a cat's time is a large paper
bag (like a grocery bag) that has a hole in the bottom large enough for
them to jump through. You will also enjoy watching the antics. A
cardboard box also will work.

It is important to play with your cat. Use a piece of string and make
the string "dance" like some kind of bug or a snake. Give your cats 10
- 15 minutes of your time each day and you will help keep them happy.
Get more information at www.whydoesmycatdothat.com, it has information
on nutrition, cat behavior, and cat health.

It is important to interact with your cats and kittens. It will be an
enjoyable experience for both you and your cat.

RB

Old July 25th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
angel

Default blood-sport, was.. cats chewing everything

ensoul wrote:
one and half year old brothers, neutered....big guys and full of
it...Iam saving up for a cat tree for them, we live in small 2 bdrm
apart, the don't go outside

Im going to buy some real live mice and turn them lose in here
(white ones)
hell yeah!

look at em go!

should keep my cats busy for days