Dry Diet Food for Senior Cats

Old July 27th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RHPT

Default Dry Diet Food for Senior Cats

I realize this is truly subjective, but what would some of you
recommend as far as dry diet cat food for two senior (they're both
8-years-old) inactive, (slightly) overweight cats?

The cats have been eating Science Diet R/D for some years, but the Vet
says it is now OK to take them off, as long as they continue to eat
diet food.

I did a bit of research and am trying Innova Cat Lite Dry, but it
makes ther waste stink. I would try Royal Canine, but I can't find a
retailer that sells their Vet formula around my area (my Vet does not
carry it either).

Thank you.

Old July 27th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Cat Whisperer

So because their **** stinks you don't want them to eat great food?
I feed Innova as well, but regular, and I have smelt nothing different than
ever before.
But it is great food.

Old July 27th 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"RHPT" wrote in message
I realize this is truly subjective, but what would some of you
recommend as far as dry diet cat food for two senior (they're both
8-years-old) inactive, (slightly) overweight cats?

The cats have been eating Science Diet R/D for some years, but the Vet
says it is now OK to take them off, as long as they continue to eat
diet food.

I did a bit of research and am trying Innova Cat Lite Dry, but it
makes ther waste stink. I would try Royal Canine, but I can't find a
retailer that sells their Vet formula around my area (my Vet does not
carry it either).

Thank you.

I've never had a cat lose weight on diet food. In fact the only good that
ever came of giving a diet/lite food to one of mine was that every time I
fed it to my Isabelle she peed in the hallway. This got her to the vet and
we eventually found out she has kidney problems.

What I have had work is to stop free feeding, strict potion control and add
canned food in place of the dry. I also have to watch the dh like a hawk
because, left to his own devices, he'll be overfeeding the cats and they
will pork right back up again.

Old July 27th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Toni

"RHPT" wrote in message
I realize this is truly subjective, but what would some of you
recommend as far as dry diet cat food for two senior (they're both
8-years-old) inactive, (slightly) overweight cats?

I am not a proponent of any senior/diet pet foods.
They restrict calories by using inferior grains instead of high quality
proteins, so the cats eat and eat because their bodies are crying for real
nutrition.

I would suggest a high quality wet food (or dry if you must) given twice a
day in carefully managed portions.
I would further suggest that you get these cats moving- eight years old is a
long way from old in my book. Do whatever they enjoy as far as playing or
climbing- I'd even feed on top of a cat tree to force them to do some
climbing daily.

It's no different that people- portion control plus increased physical
activity. You need to find a way to get them interested in moving again.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm

Old July 27th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

As cats get older they need different nutrition than a younger cat
would need. A good high quality senior cat food will be great for them.
If they are prone to weight gain then I would suggest a light senior
food. And if they have been eating r/d for a long time it might be a
good idea to keep them on science diet brand food as opposed to another
brand. You could also try w/d as a maintenance food for them too. Good
luck with your friends!!

Old August 1st 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

"Wendy" wrote in message

|| "RHPT" wrote in message
||| I realize this is truly subjective, but what would some of you
||| recommend as far as dry diet cat food for two senior (they're both
||| 8-years-old) inactive, (slightly) overweight cats?
||| The cats have been eating Science Diet R/D for some years, but the
||| Vet says it is now OK to take them off, as long as they continue to
||| eat diet food.
||| I did a bit of research and am trying Innova Cat Lite Dry, but it
||| makes ther waste stink. I would try Royal Canine, but I can't find a
||| retailer that sells their Vet formula around my area (my Vet does
||| not carry it either).
||| Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
||| Thank you.
|| I've never had a cat lose weight on diet food. In fact the only good
|| that ever came of giving a diet/lite food to one of mine was that
|| every time I fed it to my Isabelle she peed in the hallway. This got
|| her to the vet and we eventually found out she has kidney problems.
|| What I have had work is to stop free feeding, strict potion control
|| and add canned food in place of the dry. I also have to watch the dh
|| like a hawk because, left to his own devices, he'll be overfeeding
|| the cats and they will pork right back up again.
IMO
Quality dried food is superior to canned food (if cat will eat it)
Your cat will decide what it likes best though and either quality food type
canned or dry is adequate (Drinking water must be present)
Try giving a table spoon (two desert spoons) of "Yakult" (Lactobacillus
casei Shirota strain) once a month or less should be more than plenty
Watch your "old" fat cat become active again and shed weight because of it's
new found activities

--
Petzl

Old August 1st 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

"Petzl" wrote:

Quality dried food is superior to canned food (if cat will eat it)

Where do you get that ridiculous idea?

Care to site a reputable source of info?

-mhd
Old August 1st 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

wrote in message

|| "Petzl" wrote:
||| Quality dried food is superior to canned food (if cat will eat it)
|| Where do you get that ridiculous idea?
|| Care to site a reputable source of info?
|| -mhd

You are making the claims tat it is ridiculous?
prove that it's not

Dried *quality* cat food has more nutrients vitamins than unsupplemented
canned food.

Often a cat will not eat anything else because it is better tasting and more
nutritious (Drinking water must be always available) Having said that
variety or combining gives the best of both worlds

I also have found that giving a cat the odd dose of Yakult (tablespoon
around once a month) Make a noticeable improvment to older cats in
Particular

--
Petzl

Old August 1st 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Petzl" wrote in message ...
wrote in message

|| "Petzl" wrote:
||| Quality dried food is superior to canned food (if cat will eat it)
|| Where do you get that ridiculous idea?
|| Care to site a reputable source of info?
|| -mhd

You are making the claims tat it is ridiculous?
prove that it's not

Dried *quality* cat food has more nutrients vitamins than unsupplemented
canned food.

Where in the third world are you that you can find unsupplemented canned
cat food?

Old August 1st 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Petzl" wrote in message ...

Quality dried food is superior to canned food (if cat will eat it)
Your cat will decide what it likes best though and either quality food

type
canned or dry is adequate (Drinking water must be present)
Try giving a table spoon (two desert spoons) of "Yakult" (Lactobacillus
casei Shirota strain) once a month or less should be more than plenty
Watch your "old" fat cat become active again and shed weight because of

it's
new found activities

You're in Saudi Arabia aren't you?