New Kittens and Mother Question

Old July 31st 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default New Kittens and Mother Question

I was watching a cat for a friend out of town for a week when she had
kittens in a comfortable spot (I made her a bed) she found in my
garage. This was last Monday, 7 days ago. The kittens (3) and mother
seem content, healthy, and doing just fine.

They are posing no problem for me, but understandably she would like to
take them all home... we are both wondering how long before it would be
ideal to move them all.

Any insight appreciated.

Old July 31st 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ann

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:06:24 -0700, CallThatGone wrote:
I was watching a cat for a friend out of town for a week when she had
kittens in a comfortable spot (I made her a bed) she found in my garage.
This was last Monday, 7 days ago. The kittens (3) and mother seem
content, healthy, and doing just fine.

They are posing no problem for me, but understandably she would like to
take them all home... we are both wondering how long before it would be
ideal to move them all.

Any insight appreciated.

I've moved a mother cat and kittens into the house from the yard within 12
hrs after they were born. (It wasn't our cat but she had been stopping by
our fenced yard at night.)

It really "all depends" what's ideal. Does the owner have a place for them
inside that the mother cat is used to? Is the mother cat comfortable with
the owner approaching them in your garage? Is the trip relatively short?
I do suggest moving them before about 3 weeks. Double check with Google on
this, but that's about when they are beginning to get around by themselves
and you don't want them uncaged in a garage. Also, they don't hear much
until around that time so noise doesn't bother them as much as it will
later. The first couple weeks, kittens may let out a reflexive spit when
you pick them up but when they're settled in a box or cage with the mother
cat, they're pretty oblivious to anything else ... particularly if they're
hungry. g