skin problems

Old August 9th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default skin problems

This is my last attempt at trying to resolve my cat`s skin problem.
Various vets have said that my cat DJ has a vary low tolerance to fleas
- so every month he`s given spot on frontline - which does appear to
help. Over the last 3 months or so it has got worse, only on his belly
and hind quarters. For some some reason he has become irritatated in
thiose areas and constantly licks. The outcome of this is that the
skin, has now lost most of it`s fur, and pink raised bumps have
appeared. They are not pussy or infected well not that i can see
anyway.

The vets solution has been to change his diet to really expensive dried
food, they`ve advised not to give him any treats - and the poor thing
is miserable - he`s also lost weight. I`m at my witts wnd with this. If
anyone is prepared to offer any kind of help i`d be most appreciated.
Ihave taken a photo of his skin complaint - so if anyone wants me to
email the picture so that they might like to diagnose his
problem...again i`d be very greatfull

Thanks x

Old August 9th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Judy

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hi,

I am going through a similar thing with my Matilda. Perhaps we should swap
photo's? :c)

After trips to different vets sine March of last year in an attempt to get a
diagnosis. Two said it was a hormonal thing and to just leave it alone. I
did for a time but it got worse, so I sought a third opinion.

As a result of the third opinion, I changed to a different diet three weeks
ago. As well, I have been washing her belly with Hexadene every other day
and applying Allermyl (a spray lotion for hypersensitive skin) after the
washing part for the past week. The Hexadene was prescribed due to the fact
that the bumps has caused the surface of the skin to become uneven, leaving
places for bacteria to thrive and cause infection. The lotion was prescribed
to calm that itchy feeling.

The spots have all but disappeared and peach fuzz has started to grow so I
am hopeful.

Her current diet is Science Diet Venison & Pea (canned) and a bit of Natural
Balance Venison & Pea (dry) to snack on. I know that these diets are
expensive, but I believe it's worth trying.

From what my vet told me, it is important that if the cause is a food
allergy (which will take time to determine) that the diet should contain non
of the usual protein sources found in cat food. Thus - the venison & pea.

Anyway, if you'd like to swap spotted belly photo's, feel free to e-mail me.

Remove "eatsnospam" from the address.

Best of luck to you!!

Judy & Matilda.

Old August 10th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

wrote in message
ups.com
|| This is my last attempt at trying to resolve my cat`s skin problem.
|| Various vets have said that my cat DJ has a vary low tolerance to
|| fleas - so every month he`s given spot on frontline - which does
|| appear to help. Over the last 3 months or so it has got worse, only
|| on his belly and hind quarters. For some some reason he has become
|| irritatated in thiose areas and constantly licks. The outcome of
|| this is that the skin, has now lost most of it`s fur, and pink
|| raised bumps have appeared. They are not pussy or infected well not
|| that i can see anyway.
|| The vets solution has been to change his diet to really expensive
|| dried food, they`ve advised not to give him any treats - and the
|| poor thing is miserable - he`s also lost weight. I`m at my witts wnd
|| with this. If anyone is prepared to offer any kind of help i`d be
|| most appreciated. Ihave taken a photo of his skin complaint - so if
|| anyone wants me to email the picture so that they might like to
|| diagnose his problem...again i`d be very greatfull
|| Thanks x

Is the cat a indoor one?

Fleas can be in bedding, carpet, grass outside or from contact with other
animals (Frontline is a good choice if not reacting with cat. I only use in
Sydney's "Flea season")

Go through the house (all windows doors shut) with Fly spray (two cans in
each hand aim towards ceiling but also under tables seats etc) and Spray
house out

Going away (with Cat) for a few hours, When returning air the house out.

If cat is or goes in garden you may have to spray grass/lawn with a garden
sprayer and a mix of "malawash" (this stuff temporarily stinks like
creosote and is toxic use latex gloves and shower afterwards) Outside
spraying use 50 ml per Litre

This stuff "malawash", is old fashioned but very effective in killing fleas
..Before using Frontline it is a good idea to wash cat (over one year old,
seek advice from your Vet as your cat has wounds) with sponge, using 15 ml
"malawash" per litre, then rinse thoroughly off (Cats lick themselves and
"malawash" is toxic)

"malawash" is toxic, active ingredient is Maldison/Malathion an
organophosphate insecticide and ovicide its used on animals, plants and
humans (headlice)

--

Petzl

Old August 10th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

wrote in message
oups.com
|| It's probably flea allergy and yes, it does make them miserable when
|| they have it. The skin and hair food by Royal Canin (which ain't
|| cheap) sometimes helps a little and Doctor Foster and Smith (they're
|| online) make some "no itch" wipeons for cats that can provide a
|| little symptomatic relief, but there's really no cure and it can
|| worsen over time. Short of restricting the cat to indoors only
|| during flea season, you may be a bit stuck here.
|| Poor thing ....
|| Unless the vet has some reason for the dietary prohibitions, I'm
|| really not sure why depriving him of treats would do much of
|| anything ...

Diet sometime does help Fish food is usually the answer

--
Petzl

Old August 21st 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rob

Default skin problems, This may help

Hi there,
my name is Rob Morley and I had the same problem with my
cat, Stretchy, a half Siameese and very loving. When he first entered
my life he was covered from head to foot in fleas, he had mites, worms
and a huge raw bauld patch on his back where he was ripping out his own
fur down to the blood. It was awfull.

I was recomended and started using a natural product called Tahitian
Noni Juice. I gave it to him in his food and also put it straight onto
his open wound he showed almost instant releif, It worked a treat and
very quickly too. So much so that he still takes it every day now for 7
years and looks great on it too.

He is now 20 years old this year and is looking very well for his age.
He is truly a happy cat and because of taking this juice we no longer
have to worm or deflea him and haven't done for the same amount of
time. His coat is a bright shinny black and he dosen't get fur balls
now either. He drinks the juice every day and bugs me if I forget. By
the way I take it every day too, but thats a different story.

Please contact me for further info or check out the info on my web
site.
www.tni.com/robmorley

I hope this helps you with your problem. Another thing I discovered
was the yearly flu jab, which once stopped, helped his recovery
amazingly. I can honestly say he has been much better without having
his immune system bombarded. It used to take him almost 11 months just
to get over the side effects of the injections only to be battered
again within a month to start the next dose.

The juice also raises the immune system to cope with most things. I
hope this is helpful.

Kind Regards , Rob UK

I would personally recomend everyone to take this juice, it has helped
us so much.

Old August 21st 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rob

Dear Petzl,

I'm just sending you this to update you on the situation with DJ the
cat. i thought you might like to know the staus quo. Please check out

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...ff97013?hl=en&

Kind regards, Rob UK my web site is www.tni.com/1284091 feel
free to check it out

Old August 24th 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
stace

Judy wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

From what my vet told me, it is important that if the cause is a food
allergy (which will take time to determine) that the diet should contain non
of the usual protein sources found in cat food. Thus - the venison & pea.

Anyway, if you'd like to swap spotted belly photo's, feel free to e-mail me.

Remove "eatsnospam" from the address.

Best of luck to you!!

Judy & Matilda.

Hello...i have the same exact problem with my cat..pitty..i love him to
death and i cant stand seeing him in pain..i also have a long hair main
coon living in the same apt. who shows no sign of what pitty is going
through and they are both indoor cats. It is not fleas...they have
been treated with vet prescribed flea meds the last 3 months and i
still have more to put on them...its not fleas like the vet keeps
saying. My guess is its a food allergy and they demand treats every
morning..i just bought new healthy treats and natural balance cat foods
to change over their diets. Pitty has big red whelps on his stomach
and wont stop licking them...the vet gave him a steriod shot last month
and they cleared up...this month when they came back they are 20 times
worse than before and the steriod shot pitty got this month (last week)
isnt doing anything for his relief. The vet also gave me
antibiotics..which arent doing their job..(im half way through them)
and she gave me the pill form of steriods....which i am administering
them every other day because steriods can do damage to his system if
used over and over...Where did you purchase the ALLERMYL AND THE
HEXADENE?...where they prescribed by the vet or can i find them online
or what? I am so tired of looking for web pages about this...This page
seems to be the only one that i have came across in 4 days if
searching. Please any reply would be helpfull and i can email a
picture of pitty's belly to see if our babies have the same condition
going on... Here's a list of the grocery store cat food i have been
feeding them forever....ANY TYPE OF TEMPTATION TREATS..(WHICH I THINK
IS REALLY THE CULPRIT), SPECIAL KITTY TUNA AND SHRIMP (FOUND AT WAL
MART) AND FRISKIES CANNED CAT FOOD. If anyone feeds their cat similar
food and they have the same problems as discussed on this message
thread, please email me and maybe we can nail down what is causing the
food allergy..here is my .
THANKS SO MUCH
STACEY AND (itchy) PITTY