necropsy on cat?

Old August 18th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rudy's mom

Default necropsy on cat?

I just lost my little cat Rudy after a brief illness (2 days).
The vet can't give a definite answer on the cause of the illness.
(maybe heart disease, maybe cancer, maybe a few other things).
The vet also refuses to send the cat to a lab for necropsy. The lab
insists that I have to have a sponsoring vet to get a necropsy done. I
can't find a vet who will sponsor the necropsy.
Does anyone know of a lab that will do this vithout a vet's order?

I live in southern California.
Thanks,
Sherri

Old August 18th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Sorry to hear about your cat.

What reason did the vet have for not doing a necropsy? That's very odd.
I don't know anything about not having a sponsoring vet, but I'm
assuming you've called everywhere, even the Humane Society for references?

Rhonda

Old August 18th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rudy's mom

Hi Rhonda,
Thanks for your concern. Yes I have called everywhere. The vet was a
specialty clinic, and they just keep telling me that they don't do
necropsies and won't "sponsor" an necropsy for my cat. It makes me very
suspicious.

Thanks,
Sherri

Old August 18th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Toni

"Rudy's mom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Rhonda,
Thanks for your concern. Yes I have called everywhere. The vet was a
specialty clinic, and they just keep telling me that they don't do
necropsies and won't "sponsor" an necropsy for my cat. It makes me very
suspicious.

Contact the California Veterinary Medical Board and see what they have to
say.
http://www.vmb.ca.gov/

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm

Old August 18th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Thu 17 Aug 2006 08:53:09p, Rudy's mom wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com):

Hi Rhonda,
Thanks for your concern. Yes I have called everywhere. The vet
was a specialty clinic, and they just keep telling me that they
don't do necropsies and won't "sponsor" an necropsy for my cat.
It makes me very suspicious.

Thanks,
Sherri

Sherri, I'd be suspicious too. I can't imagine why they wouldn't
do a necropsy. Do you have other cats? If so, just the concern that
it might be something infectious should be enough for them to
either do it themselves, or refer you. Every vet I've ever used
will do a necropsy.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

--
Cheryl

Old August 18th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

That is so strange. So all of the vets in the area say they don't do
necropsies?

Someone gave you the link to the vet board, I think that'd be a good avenue.

Rhonda

Old August 18th 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Rudy's mom" wrote in message

Thanks for your concern. Yes I have called everywhere. The vet was a
specialty clinic, and they just keep telling me that they don't do
necropsies and won't "sponsor" an necropsy for my cat. It makes me very
suspicious.

If you live near a vet university- call them. I'm sure they'll do a necropsy
without a "sponsoring vet?".

Old August 18th 06, 09:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Rudy's mom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Rhonda,
Thanks for your concern. Yes I have called everywhere. The vet was a
specialty clinic, and they just keep telling me that they don't do
necropsies and won't "sponsor" an necropsy for my cat. It makes me very
suspicious.

Thanks,
Sherri

I would be suspicious, too. A necropsy should be a routine procedure, and
there is no work for a vet to "sponsor" one. How else are we supposed to
learn?

I definitely would change vets for any other cats in my care.

MaryL