Two cats won't let me sleep!!

Old August 18th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
paul8agrape

Default Two cats won't let me sleep!!

I have one cat (Stewie) that is about a year and a half. I had a lot
of trouble sleeping because Stewie would be sleeping all day while I
was at work and then decide that hee needed to run around and be an
asshole at 3 in the morning. So recently, I got him a playmate
(Cougar) who is 3. They are both male. For about a week, they were
fighting and pretty hostile with each other. I kept them seperated
when I was at work. Now, they are best friends. Except they still
play around in the middle of the night, and I have trouble getting a
good night's sleep.

Is there anything I can do to keep them quiet at night. I've thought
about force feeding them Jack Daniels (joke).

Old August 18th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
vividkid

I think I have read somewhere that cats are naturally nocturnal
creatures. (I'd tell you exactly where I got that from if I
remembered...) Even though you got your original cat a playmate, I
think you may want to consider playing with them for a bit before you
go to bed. I have 2 cats as well, and they do this occasionally -
usually when I'm too lazy to have played with them that night. But it
seems to help burn off the extra energy they have pent up from sleeping
the day away.

Old August 18th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On 18 Aug 2006 08:57:20 -0700, "paul8agrape"
wrote:

I have one cat (Stewie) that is about a year and a half. I had a lot
of trouble sleeping because Stewie would be sleeping all day while I
was at work and then decide that hee needed to run around and be an
asshole at 3 in the morning. So recently, I got him a playmate
(Cougar) who is 3. They are both male. For about a week, they were
fighting and pretty hostile with each other. I kept them seperated
when I was at work. Now, they are best friends. Except they still
play around in the middle of the night, and I have trouble getting a
good night's sleep.

Is there anything I can do to keep them quiet at night. I've thought
about force feeding them Jack Daniels (joke).

My pair like to wake me up around 5:30 to eat, or perhaps they feel
that I've slept enough. I generally get up around then to go to work,
but they don't understand the concept of weekends.

I'll watch the thread just in case someone has a good idea.
Old August 19th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Toni

"paul8agrape" wrote in message
ps.com...

Is there anything I can do to keep them quiet at night. I've thought
about force feeding them Jack Daniels (joke).

We just close the bedroom door.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm

Old August 19th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Toni" wrote in message
. ..

"paul8agrape" wrote in message
ps.com...

Is there anything I can do to keep them quiet at night. I've thought
about force feeding them Jack Daniels (joke).

We just close the bedroom door.

Your cats must be pretty tame if they can't wake you up through the bedroom
door!

Old August 19th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MUSWRITR

Toni wrote:

"paul8agrape" wrote in message
ps.com...

Is there anything I can do to keep them quiet at night. I've thought
about force feeding them Jack Daniels (joke).

We just close the bedroom door.

I tried that - they just kept scratching at it and wouldn;t stop.

Best strategy for mevis to play with them and tire them out before
going to bed.

Old August 19th 06, 08:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m4816k

"paul8agrape" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have one cat (Stewie) that is about a year and a half. I had a lot
of trouble sleeping because Stewie would be sleeping all day while I
was at work and then decide that hee needed to run around and be an
asshole at 3 in the morning. So recently, I got him a playmate
(Cougar) who is 3. They are both male. For about a week, they were
fighting and pretty hostile with each other. I kept them seperated
when I was at work. Now, they are best friends. Except they still
play around in the middle of the night, and I have trouble getting a
good night's sleep.

Is there anything I can do to keep them quiet at night. I've thought
about force feeding them Jack Daniels (joke).

I think you made a mistake when you got the second one cause cat's are night
creatures, and getting another one is a sure way of making the first one
sleep even more during the day and being even more active during the night
(sorry to disappoint you). Maybe if you got a cat-friendly dog, or some
other playmate that's active during the day, things could've changed.
Something that comes to mind is getting some sort of baby-sitter to play
with them while you're at work (if you at work almost all day), but it has
to be someone they know. Of course, playing with them yourself whenever
possible can't hurt.

Old August 19th 06, 08:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

paul8agrape wrote:
I have one cat (Stewie) that is about a year and a half. I had a lot
of trouble sleeping because Stewie would be sleeping all day while I
was at work and then decide that hee needed to run around and be an
asshole at 3 in the morning. So recently, I got him a playmate
(Cougar) who is 3. They are both male. For about a week, they were
fighting and pretty hostile with each other. I kept them seperated
when I was at work. Now, they are best friends. Except they still
play around in the middle of the night, and I have trouble getting a
good night's sleep.

Is there anything I can do to keep them quiet at night. I've thought
about force feeding them Jack Daniels (joke).

In every house, there are things called 'rooms', paul. And on at least
one wall in each of these rooms there is a thing called a 'door'. The
purpose of this door is two-fold. It can either keep what is out from
getting in or vise-versa. Your case requires the vise-versa. Before you
retire for the nite, put your cats in a room AND CLOSE THE FRIGGING
DOOR, paul. What's so hard to understand about that? Or are you one of
those 'new age thinkers' who would even DREAM of imposing any rules
upon your kids or animals?
Oh, I'm so sorry... I forgot. Animals are people, too..

IBen

Old August 19th 06, 09:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

"IBen Getiner" wrote in message
ups.com
|| paul8agrape wrote:
|| In every house, there are things called 'rooms', paul. And on at
|| least one wall in each of these rooms there is a thing called a
|| 'door'. The purpose of this door is two-fold. It can either keep
|| what is out from getting in or vise-versa. Your case requires the
|| vise-versa. Before you retire for the nite, put your cats in a room
|| AND CLOSE THE FRIGGING DOOR, paul. What's so hard to understand
|| about that? Or are you one of those 'new age thinkers' who would
|| even DREAM of imposing any rules upon your kids or animals?
|| Oh, I'm so sorry... I forgot. Animals are people, too..
|| IBen

Tried that (Shutting Door) when tossing and turning from illness
(worried about squashing cats)
Woke up with both cats sleeping in my bed as they always do
I sleep with window open so they must of climbed up and entered through
window?
(reminds me of cat myth)
Neighbour tried to get rid of a stray cat that had adopted him by driving
way out in suburbs and dumping it
When he got home cat was waiting for him?
Then taking cat, went way out in bush walking for an hour then dumping cat
Found that then he was then lost! Ended up following cat home

--
Petzl