who's cat is it any way?!

Old September 18th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JEBUS

Default who's cat is it any way?!

HELP!! Our male cat is 12 months old and has been nuetard. His every need is
catered for and he is indeed a pampered puss. Yet he continues to betray us
by visiting other houses in our neighbour hood for food and attention!! We
really are at our whiskers end, almost coming to blows with neighbours who
complain about his consumption of food ment for thier own puss cats.
Frustratingly, they do not deter him from going in to their property (loud
noise tactics, booting him out etc) because they cant be "cruel" as he is so
"cute and lovely" . I have tried to explain that if he wasn't made welcome he
wouldnt feel at liberty to dine with them, only to be told that as he is my
cat it is my problem and resposiblity to stop him!!!!!!
The last time the lady came to complain i went to fetch him and he was laying
blissfully asleep on her bed! How is that going to put him off tresspassing?!
I am now officially desperate. Is there anything i can do from my end? Can I
purchase anything that she can use at her end? Oh yeah, and she refuses to
change her cat flap so that only her cat can use it ( we offered to pay )
and We live next to open farm land so it is impossible to fence him in. All
advise recieved with much gratitude;-)

Old September 18th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Keep him inside.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old September 18th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lazarus

My steps with my wandering cats.

First know your local ordinances. Be sure you know what your legal
responsibilities are. I live in the county. My neighbors called
animal control. We had a long talk about what was going on. What I
found out. I am responsibile for any damage my cats/kittens do. Short
of leaving their droppings that is it. I have offerred to cleanup any
mess's, just point em out. I have put down ammonia on the trails they
created. Coffee grounds too. Still they wander. The key.. the
neighbors just wanna rant.. refuse to take me up on my offers to clean
up.

Second.. what behaviour is acceptable from your point of view for your
cat? Let him wander or stay put. If outside you know he already is
going to wander and no manner of training or deterrant is going to
work. If you want him to stay put.. then inside it has to be. Though
I have seen folks who 'tether' their cats and it is awful to watch em
fight the tether.

Good Luck

Charles
Mt Vernon WA

Old September 18th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 18:31:07 GMT, "JEBUS" u26794@uwe wrote:

[...]

It sounds like your neighbors are playing the typical
passive-aggressive game... they like the visits from your cat, but
they also like to have soimething to bitch about.

I would say, make him an indoor cat.

Charlie
Old September 19th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JEBUS

Thanks Charles but jebus has been raised as an outdoor cat (even though he
likes his creature comforts and being pampered!) and he does a great job of
keeping the mouse population down( we live next to farm land). It would be
plain cruel to keep him in now. What i need is a way of detering him from
getting into their house. Is there a way I could retrain him or am i just on
a looser here?

Lazarus wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

Old September 19th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JEBUS via CatKB.com

I need a deterant that won't interfere with their cat but will keep jebus out
of their property. Maybe i should get him to a cat shrink to reprogramme him!
Am i being stupid but he goes there because they make him feel welcome right?
I feel so frustrated that they then come and complain that he is in their
house eating their food!!Maybe if I put more food down or got him a companion.
..?

Old September 19th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JEBUS via CatKB.com

Thanks for you help everyone, it would be great to hear of other cats with
wandering issues and how you have delt with them. I Live in England by the
way so there aren't any legal issues as such ,just social-or anti- ones!!!
JEBUS wrote:
I need a deterant that won't interfere with their cat but will keep jebus out
of their property. Maybe i should get him to a cat shrink to reprogramme him!
Am i being stupid but he goes there because they make him feel welcome right?
I feel so frustrated that they then come and complain that he is in their
house eating their food!!Maybe if I put more food down or got him a companion.
..?

HELP!! Our male cat is 12 months old and has been nuetard. His every need is
catered for and he is indeed a pampered puss. Yet he continues to betray us

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

Charlie

Old September 19th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ryan Robbins

"JEBUS via CatKB.com" u26794@uwe wrote in message
I need a deterant that won't interfere with their cat but will keep jebus
out
of their property.

Keep your cat indoors. Duh...

Old September 19th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

We took in an adult stray outside cat and made him an inside cat. It
took him a few weeks to realize that he could be pampered and have a
good life inside, but he did it. He was happy after that.

If you choose to leave your cat outside, I don't think there is a magic
solution. I also don't think it's your neighbor's job to train your cat
to stay out of their yard. I know they are encouraging him with
kindness, but they should not be in a position where they have to
discipline your cat.

The only other thing I can think of is get a cat fence or cat enclosure.
There are fences made for that purpose -- they come inward at the top so
the cat doesn't escape. That would keep your cat out of the pound, if
the neighbors take it to that level.

Rhonda