Putting my cat down

Old September 20th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacia

Default Putting my cat down

Hi all. For a while now I've posted occasionally about my cat Spam,
who's about 15 years old now, and has CRF, cardiomyopathy, and was born
with cerebellar hypoplasia. Spam hasn't been able to walk very far for
a few years now, he doesn't play and pretty much all he has done is sit
in his chair and occasionally meow for attention.
Since he seems to have declined considerably, we've decided it's time
to let him go. Two months ago the vet said Spam was reasonably fine,
but Spam's mobility has consistently decreased since then.
He has lots of accidents. He can't get around anymore, and we have to
carry him to the catpans and food bowls. If he does get off his chair
on his own he's unable to get back into it (it's his sleepy spot) and
he's too confused to understand what's going on when we try new, easier
to get into sleepy spots. He forgets he can't walk and jump and has
hurt himself twice recently, so we have to watch him constantly to make
sure he's okay. He gets pills twice a day and he hates it terribly.
Physically he's lost weight, he's incontinent, often nauseous and
vomits or spits up, lethargic, and occasionally acts "out of it".
He does still like his soft food treat and he will eat and drink when
carried to the bowls. He will use the catpan most of the time if we
carry him there. Sometimes he likes being petted. That's what makes
this so hard, I keep thinking he must still be happy, but every day he
gets worse.
We just can't spend all day carrying him places and watching him. I'm
losing sleep with worry and he's so unhappy, uncomfortable and probably
in pain. This is no kind of life for a cat.

Stacia

Old September 20th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

I'm so sorry. It's such a tough decision to make but ultimately it's
probably the kindest thing for Spam.
Best regards, Bonnie

Old September 20th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Stacia wrote:
Hi all. For a while now I've posted occasionally about my cat Spam,
who's about 15 years old now, and has CRF, cardiomyopathy, and was born
with cerebellar hypoplasia.

Stacia, it sounds to me like you are making the right decision. Please
read the following link, as I think it might be helpful:

http://angelshavenhere.homestead.com...edecision.html

It's never easy to do, and IMO, and IME, it's always best to err on the
side of caution rather than to let the animal suffer too much. Take
care, and we will keep you in our thoughts.

-L.

Old September 20th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Elizabeth

Dear Stacia,
You have my very real sympathy. I still vividly remember going through
this decision for our first cat, Tiger. That was many years ago, but
the memory of how very hard it was is still intense. My heart goes out
to you!
Elizabeth

Old September 20th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mig

It is never easy to make that decision. Having had to make it myself
more times than I care to remember (and I'm having to make it now as
we speak), it's traumatic every single time.

But when it breaks your heart to see them existing in such a horrid
state, you know it's the right thing to do. Take consolation from the
fact that it's done out of pure love for your beloved pet.

You have my deepest sympathies Stacia, and I'll put a prayer in for
Spam along with my own.

Best regards,
Mig

Old September 20th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chili palmer

Stacia wrote:
thinking he must still be happy, but every day he
gets worse.
We just can't spend all day carrying him places and watching him. I'm
losing sleep with worry and he's so unhappy, uncomfortable and probably
in pain. This is no kind of life for a cat.

Stacia

Oh I know it must be heart breaking

I know this sounds silly, but have you thought about, talking about it
Spam?

I am sure he knows what's up

If anything, he does not like seeing you and your family, like this.

Talk about it, and at some point, you will know when the time is right,
Im sorry to even say that! but you will know.. I think it could be
better than just getting up one morning, with no warning.. and making
that trip.

The other possibility is that your cat could pass in it's sleep.
Not likely though.,. they are tough little things.

So, tell the cat it's condition and your views, to get it's affairs in
order, I think you will never regret doing this in a planned way with
you cat. Ok, I know they may not understand english, but so what.. I'm
sure he will find you voice and tone and release a comfort to him.

maybe in telling him, it would give you a different take and strength
on the matter.

Regards

Barry

Old September 20th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacia

Default Putting my cat down - update

Thanks everyone for the kind words. We've decided to have the vet
check Spam out tomorrow and hold off on putting him down. I just can't
do it yet, although logically I know he doesn't have a lot of time.
He's somewhat more alert this afternoon and I'd feel better if a vet saw
him again once more before we made a final decision.

Stacia

Old September 21st 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chili palmer

Stacia wrote:

He's somewhat more alert this afternoon and I'd feel better if a vet saw
him again once more before we made a final decision.

Stacia

That's good news Stacia

Old September 21st 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article , says...
[...]

Stacia,

It's a hard decision to make. My Cosimo was only 9 when I had to
euthanize him.

But it appears that Spam's decline is pretty obvious. You've given him a
good home and good care for 15 years.

I think you've rationalized it for yourself. My best to you.

Old September 21st 06, 08:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Alison

"Stacia" wrote in message
[...]

I'm so sorry. It's a very hard decision to make but it's kinder not to let
Spam suffer.
Alison