Hardwood Floor and Cat Pee HELP

Old November 6th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Hardwood Floor and Cat Pee HELP

OK. We are moving in a week. I have been cleaning out the back room
where the cat box is and discovered that under one plastic bin
(hardwood floors, mind you) there is a HUGE cat pee stain. HUGE.

1. what kind of service can I call.

2. what will take up the stain?

I started with Nature's Miracle, but it's an old stain.

HELP.

Old November 6th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
ups.com...
OK. We are moving in a week. I have been cleaning out the back room
where the cat box is and discovered that under one plastic bin
(hardwood floors, mind you) there is a HUGE cat pee stain. HUGE.

1. what kind of service can I call.

2. what will take up the stain?

I started with Nature's Miracle, but it's an old stain.

HELP.

You can Google up advice on this topic--I did and here is what we did
to take care of the stain, with mixed results.

We applied white vinegar to the stain first, diluted by half with water.
Then we used an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. That pretty
much took care of the smell, but we were left with a big black stain.
We got a big bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a giant roll of paper
towels.Wet the paper towels with the hp and lay them evenly over
the stain. Make sure the saturation is as even as possible. Leave it
there all day, take the towels up, and apply again until you have
lightened the wood to the desired color.

The hp bleaches the black out of the wood. HOWEVER, the end
result is not always as even as you might like. The great thing is, the
hp seems to penetrate any finish and bleach the wood underneath it,
if that is possible. We have a light polyurethane or somesuch finish,
a little shiny, and that spot is still shiny.

I don't know that there is any other solution save refinishing the
floor.

Good luck!

Old November 6th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

To avoid this in the future you should take your litter box and place it
inside of another larger box.

I have an old dog carrier that I no longer use and I place the litter box
inside it. It's one the plastic ones with high sides. I don't put the top
on it I only use the bottom. This helps catch any litter that the cats kick
out and on that occasional time when one of them misses the box it's caught
in the dog carrier and it's easily cleaned.

Good luck getting the stain out.

Celeste

wrote in message
oups.com...
How well did this work? Did you get your deposit back?

cybercat wrote:
ups.com...

Old November 9th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
oups.com...
How well did this work? Did you get your deposit back?

Hey, sorry, I missed your reply.

It is our house, so we were in a different situation.

It worked very well, but is not as good as it can be, because my husband
was not diligent about how evenly he applied the towels. It bleaches very
nicely and in stages. Our result is blotchy, but all the black is gone.

It was our first time doing this as the cat had never done this before. So
we didn't really know what to expect. I think if you did it carefully and
evenly (maybe use a big single regular towel instead of paper towels so
the effect would be more even) and in stages to make sure it does not
bleach lighter than the original wood color you could have a good
result. The black disappears. If you wanted to be sure to get back
your deposit, you could overbleach then sand and restain and
revarnish the spot.