Tracking collar for cats?

Old November 26th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Tracking collar for cats?

I love letting Espy and Nipsy out into the sealed backyard, but Espy
is becoming a superb escape artist. Right now I'm watching them on the
spy cam but Espy got out two days ago and managed to get three yards
down before I caught up with him. He found a weakness in the plastic
mesh and managed to squeeze through. Luckily there is a retaining wall
that runs through all the yards and I just walked down it and scooped
him up. He had just walked down it to travel through the yards.

Then, yesterday, he was climbing an evergreen that is taller than the
fence and could have climbed over the top. Very smart boy this one.

I was just back there in a chair while Espy went along an entire side
of the yard poking at the mesh in various places and climbing up it to
see what would happen. I'm watching him look for ways to get out. He
has no idea that what he is doing is bad.

So I put something in the tree to stop him from climbing up the
middle; one of those squirrel stopper kinds of things. But I seem to
have two choices, not letting them out at all, which I would hate to
do. They love it so much. Or, perhaps, putting some sort of tracking
collar on Espy.

I was looking at the ones that folks use for hunting dogs. There are
beeper types that you can trigger the beeper from far off and you can
hear it for hundreds of yards (around $150) . Or there are the radio
tracking kinds that are good for miles but cost around $500.

Am I nuts to think of putting one of these on Espy when I let him out?
He can't get far away before I check on him, and something like this
would make it easy to keep track of him.

Sometimes I can't find him and go crazy before discovering him under a
bush. This way I can press a button and follow the noise.

I'm nuts, right?
Old November 26th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

Aren't all cat owners ;-)

Old November 26th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Eva Quesnell

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Matthew wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

I thought that was a prerequisite. :3

Eva
Old November 26th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

Why don't you build and enclosure that they can go out into instead of
letting them have the whole yard. They'd still get out but you would not
need to worry.

Celeste

Old November 26th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:47:53 GMT, "Spot"
wrote:

Why don't you build and enclosure that they can go out into instead of
letting them have the whole yard. They'd still get out but you would not
need to worry.

Celeste

I've seen that sort of thing. My yard isn't very large and they really
like chasing each other around and hiding under bushes and such. I
can't really imagine building an enclosure that wouldn't take up half
the yard anyway.
Old November 27th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Adam Helberg

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

There is a company here in Orange, CA that makes special radio collars for cats. You
can find it with Google.

Adam

Old November 27th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 05:34:35 GMT, "Adam Helberg"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

No, I don't find it. In fact, the only one I've found is FelixFinder
in the UK. That's around $300, which is a bit steep. All I really need
is something that will beep in response to a button. I really don't
need directional location, although that would be nice.

There are beep collars for dogs. If I use one of them I can tell if my
hunting cat is on Point. Whatever that is. I think it's time to visit
RadioShack and see what they say.
Old November 27th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

The cheap collars are only good up to 100 yards after that they are
worthless and the ones that are better you are still looking at $200 plus.

A beep collar does nothing for you if the cat is out of range where a gps
collar tells you exactly where the cat is at.

Celeste

"dgk" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 05:34:35 GMT, "Adam Helberg"
wrote:

. ..

Old November 28th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Adam Helberg

http://www.thecatlocator.com/

Old November 28th 06, 07:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Adam Helberg

"dgk" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 05:34:35 GMT, "Adam Helberg"
wrote:

. ..

http://www.thecatlocator.com/locator/intro.html