a safe christmas for the kitties -

Old December 3rd 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

Default a safe christmas for the kitties -

I'm concerned about my cats being around the christmas tree - we have glass
ornaments and one of our more "spirited" cats is a jumper and climber and
likes to chew on things - I don't want him getting electrocuted from the
lights or rip down the tree from climbing around on it - I know one should
"supervise" them around the tree - but one can't be in front of the tree all
the time...and when I'm not home although the lights will be off my other
conerns are still a problem.

have you any safety advice?

Old December 3rd 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

I'm sorry I didn't see there was already a post on this - please excuse me -

Old December 3rd 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Get a large baby fence and put it around the tree. they also make stay away
spray at the pet store my furballs won't come with in 5 ft of the tree

Old December 3rd 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tiger Girrl

When my cat was at the "spirited" stage, I just installed one of those
expandable bolts in the ceiling - the kind you'd use to hang a heavy
potted plant - and tied the top of the tree to it. I figured this would
keep the tree from toppling, should the cat leap onto it.

The other thing you might consider is leaving your glass ornaments off
until you see how excited the cats are about the tree. Is possible
they'll content themselves with eating needles and sicking them up,
batting around some of the lower-lying ornaments, or drinking out of the
watering well. In that case, you can always add the glass ones later,
or save them for next year since you'll know what to expect.

If you cat isn't already chewing on your power cords I don't know that
he'd start it up with the fairy lights for the tree.

Old December 3rd 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Eva Quesnell

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:

I'm sorry I didn't see there was already a post on this - please excuse me -

No worries. The only thing I can say is don't put tinsel on the tree.
You may like it, but kitty can eat it and have it twist inside the
intestines. Very bad.

Am I the only one here who doesn't bother to even try to have a tree
anymore? I gave up when I brought Mickey home. He will just not leave
the tree alone. I got tired of setting it upright again and redecorating
every single day. So no trees for me. It makes for an easy clean-up
after the holidays, but I do miss it.

Eva
Old December 3rd 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Eva Quesnell

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, Matthew wrote:

Get a large baby fence and put it around the tree. they also make stay away
spray at the pet store my furballs won't come with in 5 ft of the tree

Ha ha! I put a baby gate on my bedroom door at night to keep Miss
Cindy dog from sleeping on the bed in the guest room. My cats sail over
it like it isn't even there.

Eva

Old December 4th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Elizabeth Blake

"Eva Quesnell" wrote in message
u...
On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:

I'm sorry I didn't see there was already a post on this - please excuse
me -

No worries. The only thing I can say is don't put tinsel on the tree. You
may like it, but kitty can eat it and have it twist inside the intestines.
Very bad.

Am I the only one here who doesn't bother to even try to have a tree
anymore? I gave up when I brought Mickey home. He will just not leave
the tree alone. I got tired of setting it upright again and redecorating
every single day. So no trees for me. It makes for an easy clean-up
after the holidays, but I do miss it.

No tree for me either. When I only had one cat (Tiger) she was wonderful.
I had an artificial tree and except for lightly batting at any orinaments at
the bottom, she left it alone. She loved to sleep under it, on the tree
skirt. Then I found Otto in 2000 and it was obvious that I couldn't have a
tree. He climbed on everything, swatted anything that wasn't nailed down or
bigger than himself. Last year I thought of getting a tree since Otto was
older and had mellowed quite a bit, but I never got around to it. Tiger
passed away this Spring, and in April I adopted Isaac. He's very much like
Otto was, into everything, only multiplied by 10. Definitely no tree for me
for a long time now. Last year I bought a little tapletob tree that came
with a string of lights already on it and Otto liked to sit under it and
chew on it, so I won't even put that out. It's a little depressing and
maybe next year I will try a tree, with just lights and garland or strings
of beads, no ornaments.

--
Liz

Old December 4th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m4816k

I'm concerned about my cats being around the christmas tree - we have
glass
ornaments and one of our more "spirited" cats is a jumper and climber and
likes to chew on things - I don't want him getting electrocuted from the
lights or rip down the tree from climbing around on it - I know one
should
"supervise" them around the tree - but one can't be in front of the tree
all
the time...and when I'm not home although the lights will be off my other
conerns are still a problem.

have you any safety advice?

If you don't mind having a tabletop tree, you can close one in a cabinet
with a glass front (if you have such). By drilling a little hole in the back
of the cabinet you can have lights on the tree as well, and since it's
behind glass, there's no reason you should stay away from any kind of
ornaments. You can also have battery-operated lights or even light little
candles around the tree (not too close though) and make it really special.
Those are just a few ideas.

Old December 4th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ollie via CatKB.com

We put the tree up outside the front window.

Old December 4th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped

I'm concerned about my cats being around the christmas tree - we have
glass
ornaments and one of our more "spirited" cats is a jumper and climber and
likes to chew on things - I don't want him getting electrocuted from the
lights or rip down the tree from climbing around on it - I know one
should
"supervise" them around the tree - but one can't be in front of the tree
all
the time...and when I'm not home although the lights will be off my other
conerns are still a problem.

have you any safety advice?

Sorry, no advice, but a story that may alert you to some of the things to
watch out for! ;

http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnip...Mommy.asp#Nine

Hugs,

CatNipped