Tiger the nurotic

Old December 12th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Default Tiger the nurotic

As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and drink
coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and Knew he
was THE manliest cat around. DH giggled as this mancat had on a pink
collar. He meowed as he went by but didn't get too close... Time passes and
it is the beginning of June. It is blisteringly hot by any standards, over
100 f for several days, which is unusual for this area. It turned out to be
the only two weeks of hot weather all summer.

We were once again sitting on the back porch. drinking coffee and discussing
the world.. When the cat with the collar, this time without the collar came
up to us, he was miserably thin, and obviously starving. DH got a can of
food. Tiger as we had named him earlier that spring hoovered the entire can
and DH got another one, which he also hoovered. I said to DH his people
don't take care of him, his collar is gone and if he is going to eat us out
of house and home we may as well keep him in ours... the rest is history.
He weighed just under seven pounds when he came to us and was already grown,
I am guessing around four years old. He had no hideous diseases, got
neutered and got introduced to the other three, and Violette abused him
mercilessly for the longest time. He and her eventually became almost
friends and life was again peaceful... He is still the same frame size and
now weighs just around 15 pounds, which is just about a half pound too much
according to the vet. When I think back at how malnourished he was I truly
shudder...

and now for the rest of the story... in late fall we were once again on the
patio. doing the usual when DH says... Is Tiger in the bedroom? I say yes.
He says you aren't going to believe this but the Tiger you have isn't the
Tiger you thought you have... What? The tiger with the collar is currently
crossing the back yard and is identical to the one in the bedroom... Tiger
BTW is neurotic because of being starved and has EBS, Lee

Old December 12th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

and Dh was really freaked as he said from a distance they really were
identical... fast forward to last winter when we got a new neighbor, who
started feeding an outside cat, another big yellow one, could have even been
Harri roadcat's father. One day DH was outside and the neighbor actually
asked DH if "that cat" in the living room window had been with us long...
his had gone missing... DH says... yep we have had him for several years,
through fixing, and crystals, but if you want to buy him for ten times the
vet bills he's yours, Lee
et...

Old December 13th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

I loved this story!
Does it help your software if I top post in reply or doesn't it matter?

Tweed

Old December 14th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Stormmee wrote:

As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and drink
coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and Knew he
was THE manliest cat around. [snip story]

Good for you two for taking in the starving kitty. He's obviously made
up for lost time. Sometimes when cats have gone hungry, they always eat
as though it might be their last meal for a long time, since they did
have that experience for real. That's probably how he managed to more
than double his weight, but you might have a hard time changing his
eating habits. You don't want him to feel like he's going hungry again,
or that will just make him even more anxious about food. At least a
half pound isn't so much to lose, and he'd probably be OK if he didn't
end up losing it. But I guess you have to be careful he doesn't put on
even more weight.

I love that the original cat showed up again at the end.

Joyce
Old December 14th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

it doesn't affect the software but it makes it easier for me reading. I
look at who posts sometimes but not all the time and if I just hit next
message and let it read I can hear the message and then read the previous
message for context if need be. Then I don't have to read all the previous
stuff to get the new part. Thanks for thinking about it. That helps me,

Old December 14th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

he is stable now. in fact after he had been with us for about a year I
took him to a vet and had him checked for diabetes. He eats every hour on
the hour for exactly 7 minutes. Not much just a few crunches but he MUST
check the bowl and he MUST eat a few. He tends to eat more as the bowl gets
empty so I try and keep them very full and he does great. The other day we
had been out of town, all but one bowl was empty. When DH filled them he
ate until he got sick, then all was back to normal. Lee

Old December 15th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

Ah that explains something...jasmine does the 'eating til I spew' thing at
times, particularly when I don't follow The Routine.
As she's an ex-stray, that would be why, wouldn't it; food anxiety.

Old December 16th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

and I always wanted an orange cat, so he is perfect, Lee
meeee wrote in message
Lol he's a darling.
"Stormmee" wrote in message
[...]

I've had a HRFL Tiger story accepted! Helen Miles Cat anecdotes 34 March 15th 06 09:54 PM
Part Lion.. Part Tiger IBen Getiner Cat health & behaviour 7 June 11th 05 03:35 AM
Tiger has a tumor Elizabeth Blake Cat health & behaviour 14 October 6th 04 04:26 AM
RB Tiger Karen Cat anecdotes 46 May 8th 04 05:54 AM
Tiger had a rough day ---MIKE--- Cat health & behaviour 10 February 16th 04 04:07 AM