Litter Issues

Old December 18th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DBlondeCat

Default Litter Issues

Hey all, I am fairly new here, so this is my first question:

My cat will not cover her "business" in the litter box and worse will
kick poo out of the box from time to time. Any hints on how to get her
to keep her poo in the box and covered??? Thanks for anything you can
provide...and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Michelle

Old December 18th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"DBlondeCat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey all, I am fairly new here, so this is my first question:

My cat will not cover her "business" in the litter box and worse will
kick poo out of the box from time to time. Any hints on how to get her
to keep her poo in the box and covered??? Thanks for anything you can
provide...and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

-----------
Get a covered/hooded litter box. It's more expensive than an open box but
well worth the money (IMHO). The cat still won't cover her "business", but
the litter will stay in the box, and you won't have to see her "business"
except when you're cleaning the box.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old December 18th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"DBlondeCat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey all, I am fairly new here, so this is my first question:

My cat will not cover her "business" in the litter box and worse will
kick poo out of the box from time to time. Any hints on how to get her
to keep her poo in the box and covered??? Thanks for anything you can
provide...and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Go to Petsmart and get a bigger, deeper box, the kind they sell for dogs. I
has a lower side for easy entrance.

Is your cat declawed? That is often the case when cats won't cover their
mess.

I trained my cat to cover it by finding her whenever she laid a stinky one,
and gently carrying her to the box, puttingg her in and covering it with her
paws while praising her.

Some say, just scoop it. But give training her a try.

Old December 18th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:37:53 GMT, "cindys"
wrote:

Get a covered/hooded litter box. It's more expensive than an open box
but well worth the money (IMHO). The cat still won't cover her
"business", but the litter will stay in the box, and you won't have to
see her "business" except when you're cleaning the box.

I have to disagree with this advice. Covered cat boxes can create
problems. Some cats will not use them, and for good reason: the REEK under
those hoods. The litter pan needs air circulation to remain tolerable to a
cat, no matter how dilligent you are about scooping.

My suggestion is to get a box with higher sides, and when you find poop
that isn't covered, simply scoop it out.

--
Lynne

Old December 18th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cindys" wrote in message

"DBlondeCat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey all, I am fairly new here, so this is my first question:

My cat will not cover her "business" in the litter box and worse will
kick poo out of the box from time to time. Any hints on how to get her
to keep her poo in the box and covered??? Thanks for anything you can
provide...and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

-----------
Get a covered/hooded litter box. It's more expensive than an open box but
well worth the money (IMHO). The cat still won't cover her "business", but
the litter will stay in the box, and you won't have to see her "business"
except when you're cleaning the box.
Best regards,

No way. It is way to easy to forget to scoop when the box is covered. When
we had a problem with our cat pooping outside the box, uncovering the box
cured her. And helped us keep a cleaner box.

Old December 19th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

m...
wrote:

Get a covered/hooded litter box. It's more expensive than an open box
but well worth the money (IMHO). The cat still won't cover her
"business", but the litter will stay in the box, and you won't have to
see her "business" except when you're cleaning the box.

I have to disagree with this advice. Covered cat boxes can create
problems. Some cats will not use them, and for good reason: the REEK
under
those hoods. The litter pan needs air circulation to remain tolerable to
cat, no matter how dilligent you are about scooping.

-------
What can I say? I have a total of five cats and six litterboxes, three are
covered, three are open. My cats use all of them just the same.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old December 19th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cindys" wrote in message

m...
wrote:

Get a covered/hooded litter box. It's more expensive than an open box
but well worth the money (IMHO). The cat still won't cover her
"business", but the litter will stay in the box, and you won't have to
see her "business" except when you're cleaning the box.

I have to disagree with this advice. Covered cat boxes can create
problems. Some cats will not use them, and for good reason: the REEK
under
those hoods. The litter pan needs air circulation to remain tolerable to
cat, no matter how dilligent you are about scooping.

-------
What can I say? I have a total of five cats and six litterboxes, three are
covered, three are open. My cats use all of them just the same.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

So why would you say that the covered box is a solution for cats that
don't cover their mess?

Old December 19th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"cindys" wrote in message

m...
wrote:

Get a covered/hooded litter box. It's more expensive than an open box
but well worth the money (IMHO). The cat still won't cover her
"business", but the litter will stay in the box, and you won't have to
see her "business" except when you're cleaning the box.

I have to disagree with this advice. Covered cat boxes can create
problems. Some cats will not use them, and for good reason: the REEK
under
those hoods. The litter pan needs air circulation to remain tolerable to
cat, no matter how dilligent you are about scooping.

-------
What can I say? I have a total of five cats and six litterboxes, three are
covered, three are open. My cats use all of them just the same.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

------------
But in all fairness, since I started using the litter with absorbant
crystals, it's made a huge difference. I would estimate it's cut down on the
litterbox odor by 90% (and I obviously scoop frequently).
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old December 19th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"cybercat" wrote in message

"cindys" wrote in message

m...
wrote:

[...]

--------
I was saying it was a solution for the litter being kicked out of the box.
If the cat is not inclined to cover her mess, I don't think the hood will
change that.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old December 19th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cindys" wrote
I was saying it was a solution for the litter being kicked out of the box.
If the cat is not inclined to cover her mess, I don't think the hood will
change that.

Gotcha. I still think a deeper box is better.