fur mouse addiction!

Old December 22nd 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cat,rec.pets.cat.misc
Maxine G

Default fur mouse addiction!

Hi. My cat adores the little fur mouse toys. What he likes to do is eat all
the fur off of them and then chew and play with the plastic mouse inside
until it's just a little shred of plastic. Unfortunately my vet says that
it's a bad idea because he could develop an intestinal blockage from the
fur or a piece of the plastic. I tried weaning him off of them for a few
days, but he became so despondent that I caved in and gave him one which
made him hysterically happy. During that time we tried giving him other
toys such as catnip stuffed mice, a piece of rawhide cow-ear, etc. Nothing
took.

So, I have a couple of questions.

Can you think of a good, safe substitute that he might actually learn to
love as much? He seems to like the sound of the plastic on the floor which
he doesn't get from stuffed toys.

Have any of you ever heard of a cat getting sick from playing with the fur
mice?

Thanks in advance,

Maxine

--
mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net
Old December 22nd 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Darth Breather

Maxine G wrote:

Can you think of a good, safe substitute that he might actually learn to
love as much? He seems to like the sound of the plastic on the floor which
he doesn't get from stuffed toys.

Are cat used to go crazyy for a littel tiger tail keyring. Just a ring
with a 2 inch stufffed tigr tail. It was the rite size to carry arnd
and the ring maid a noize when the cat tosssed it. But the cat losst 3
of them and then we couldnt find any more. Maybe weell make one with a
keyring and a bit of fur. You cd try tyhat too.

Old December 22nd 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Maxine G wrote:

So, I have a couple of questions.

Can you think of a good, safe substitute that he might actually learn to
love as much? He seems to like the sound of the plastic on the floor which
he doesn't get from stuffed toys.

Have any of you ever heard of a cat getting sick from playing with the fur
mice?

Thanks in advance,

Maxine

PLEASE, take these mice away from your cat. My cat loves these mice and
one day he apparently ate and entire one. I didn't know about it until
several days later, when he was vomiting a bright blue color. Long
story short, he developed pancreatitis as the toy traveled through his
intenstinal tract. Many hospital trips and dollars later, he eventually
pulled through. I have DRASTICALLY cut back on the types of toys I will
now give my cats. The scary thing was that he had played with these
mice all of his life (he was 7 when this happened), so you just never
know.

My toys now consist of different kinds of balls: sponge balls, ping
pong, large (not small) glitter balls, fresh or dried catnip, paper
bags (no handles), and larger stuffed toys (with all small parts
removed).

Rene

Bonnie and the Mouse Bev Cat anecdotes 6 June 27th 06 03:06 PM
The Adventure of Jeff, Robin, and The Mouse! CATherine Cat anecdotes 4 June 23rd 05 02:43 AM
Eddy Catches a Mouse [email protected] Cat anecdotes 16 March 27th 05 02:09 PM
My cat finally caught a mouse!!!! Doe John Cat anecdotes 16 April 30th 04 04:40 AM
Onyx: A Mouse a Day Susan Zeigler Cat anecdotes 12 April 13th 04 05:30 AM