introduction and a question

Old December 27th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
nay

Default introduction and a question

Hi Everyone,
my name is Nay and I have 5 wonderful babies. All of them were stray
and they are all boys mind you. there names are

Kitty Boy, Mogus Mogi, Chappy, Storm and Mikey.

I love my babies, they are like children. we have moved house and now
they have to remain indoors for a while to get use to the area. I feel
so bad because they always use to roam around freely. the stray dog
problem got a bit much at our old place and my babies were under
terrible stress so we had to move. Now that we are here, I have
noticed that their nails are very long? I am afraid to trim as I know
there are tiny little veins in those nails. any advice?

Old December 27th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

"nay" wrote in news:1167228171.823828.42140@
79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Hi Everyone,
my name is Nay and I have 5 wonderful babies. All of them were stray
and they are all boys mind you. there names are

Kitty Boy, Mogus Mogi, Chappy, Storm and Mikey.

I love my babies, they are like children. we have moved house and now
they have to remain indoors for a while to get use to the area. I feel
so bad because they always use to roam around freely. the stray dog
problem got a bit much at our old place and my babies were under
terrible stress so we had to move. Now that we are here, I have
noticed that their nails are very long? I am afraid to trim as I know
there are tiny little veins in those nails. any advice?

It is pretty easy but will vary by how your cats mind you messing with
their feet. First buy a pair of cat nail clippers. There are many
helpful places on the web with pictures to help such as this one:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientED/cat_nails.asp

By the way, many many years ago my first cat had to switch from
indoor/outdoor to indoor only and she handled it just fine so you may be
over worrying there.

Good luck with your little family!

Andy
Old December 27th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Outsider" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

And get a friend to help you! That makes all the difference.

Old December 28th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

And get a friend to help you! That makes all the difference.

Once you have managed to get a friend to help you cut them,you might
think about getting some really inexpensive things that do not look too
bad,& that your feline family will appreciate too.They will help your
baby's keep thier claw's down & probably save a few nice pieces of
furniture as well.

I also have a very multi cat household,so appreciate your problem.Until
4years ago,I used to allow all of my cat's to go free
range,However,after collecting Biffy our fat Birman who was 6months old
at that time,I was asked not to allow him to roam, because he had never
been outside before & had no concept of what outdoor was,not to mention
cars and finding his way home again.

One of the best & cheapest things I have found to date, Is old bit's of
tree Trunk.If you know of a tree surgeon,ask him to hang on to a few
bit's of trunk about 8inches in diameter & 3foot high so that they
don't just pull it right over.They don't look too bad, & having being
used to going outside prior to moving, they will be familiar with them,
& no doubt used them before too.They don't look horredous either.You
can also use several of them & they don't take up too much room.

Another old favourite Is an old wicker basket for laundry or
suchlike.If you wieght It down with sand & cover It with a bit of Mdf &
stick that In place, they will also use It for sitting on as
well.Again..It doesn't look terrible, or out of place In certain area's
either.
I don't know about you, but I find that conventional cat scratching
posts get worn out In no time at all & It costs a fortune to re-sissal
them too!The little feline furniture-killer's appreciate them no end
also..

Even an old bit of wooden plank about 4" high, 12"across each
way,covered In a carpet sample on all sides seems to draw them to
It.Once It starts looking tacky, just make another one

I found that once we got Biff, that I used to find shed claw's all over
the carpet's.I have never asked this question before.If anyone out
there knows ,Is this perfectly normal, & why does It happen? Is It akin
to a snake shedding It's skin from time to time?

Old December 28th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

I collect and save the shed claws in a jar. The jar is about half full
now. I also save shed whiskers.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old December 28th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:56:10 GMT, (---MIKE---)
wrote:

I collect and save the shed claws in a jar. The jar is about half full
now. I also save shed whiskers.

may I ask why?

--
Lynne

Old December 28th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

m...
wrote:

I collect and save the shed claws in a jar. The jar is about half full
now. I also save shed whiskers.

may I ask why?

--

You may. Just don't ask him why he keeps using webtv. It sets him off.

Old December 28th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:14:22 GMT, "cybercat" wrote:

You may. Just don't ask him why he keeps using webtv. It sets him off.

Oh that is my next question!

--
Lynne