How do you decide when to euthanize?

Old January 15th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Moongal

Default How do you decide when to euthanize?

I'm going to have to make that decision at some point. I feel that it's
going to be sooner than later. My 18 year old cat has CRF. He's lost so
much weight. He's basically just a skeleton.

He doesn't seem to be in any pain yet. He still likes lots of love and he
purrs. He no longer kneads though. I don't think he has the strength. I
no it's not time yet, but when it is time will I know? I don't to do it too
late, or too soon. If he still enjoys being alive I want him around, but at
the same time, if he's suffering I don't want to do it too late.

For those that have had to have a pet euthanized how did you know it was the
right time?

Old January 15th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

This is the hardest question that gets asked here. This question sits in
the back of our mind in all of us. The only thing any of us can say is you
will know when it is the right time. I wish it could be a better answer but
you will know when it is time for your friend to cross the bridge.

newsMzqh.660768$5R2.284246@pd7urf3no...

Old January 15th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 15 Jan 2007 00:28:02 GMT, "Matthew"
wrote:

The only thing any of us can
say is you will know when it is the right time. I wish it could be a
better answer but you will know when it is time for your friend to
cross the bridge.

I'm not sure if I agree with what you say here, Matthew. I think sometimes
we tend to hold on too long. The right time for our beloved pets may be
sooner than we want to believe. It's certainly always too soon for us.
Cats are stoic and purring is not an indication that they are happy.

It's a decision each of us has to make on our own, though, and it's never
going to feel like the right time. However we each do the best we can and
that's all anyone can expect from themselves.

I'm sorry you are facing this decision, Moongal. It hurts, I know.

--
Lynne
Old January 15th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
No Way Dam Spammers

Moongal,

That is so sad. I've found that when you can say you did everything that you
could, when the cat's quality of life is poor, when there's no chance of
getting better, and you can say that the cat had a good long life, or at
least a good life, then you won't feel guilty after putting your sweetheart
to sleep.

No matter what, you'll be heartbroken, but if you knew there was nothing
else you could do, (which there really isn't in the case of CRF), and your
cat had a full long life -- which he had so far-- your broken heart will be
filled with relief before long.

I think you said the key words in your post: you don't want your friend to
suffer. It doesn't sound like it's time yet for him; he's not suffering now,
but you are. Your pain will help you know when it's time for your love to go
before you and wait for you on the other side. It does get better in time.

Ned

Old January 15th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

m...
wrote:

The only thing any of us can
say is you will know when it is the right time. I wish it could be a
better answer but you will know when it is time for your friend to
cross the bridge.

I'm not sure if I agree with what you say here, Matthew. I think
sometimes
we tend to hold on too long. The right time for our beloved pets may be
sooner than we want to believe. It's certainly always too soon for us.
Cats are stoic and purring is not an indication that they are happy.

You are right on that but even though we don't want to believe that it could
be happening and hope for the best outcome. We are desperate to hold onto
something that we love with all our heart and soul. We still know it is
time even if it is the hardest thing to admit to ourselves.

It might be me in my old age and all the things I have seen and experienced
in my life has made me face the veil that shields our soul and face the
facts. It is the hardest descision anyone could ever make.

Old January 15th 07, 11:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Moongal

Thank you everyone. This just sucks.

He hasn't been deteriorating at all in the last few days, in fact he seems
to be eating more, yet I've been getting this strong feeling that it's going
to be soon.

He's a special guy. He was a stray that picked me to live with. One day,
years ago, he jumped into an open window, walked up to both my cats and gave
them each a smack, went to their food dish and ate and then curled up to
sleep in the cat house while I sat there with my mouth hanging open
wondering what the heck just happened. He basically said I live here now
and I'm the boss!

I tried to find him a home because I didn't think I wanted 3 cats, but I
couldn't find anyone who would take an older cat (vet estimated he was 11 or
12). I'm glad I couldn't.

I'm really going to miss him.

Old January 15th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

"Moongal" wrote in

Thank you everyone. This just sucks.

Yes, it does.

It is like a bank loan. You get the $$ but some day you need to pay it
back. Our friends gives us so much joy but we owe them that last kindness
in the end and it is not easy and there is no easy answer as to how or
when. You just have to do your best and trust your "gut". No one will
judge you harsher than yourself. If you _are_ tempted to judge yourself
badly just imagine if you had not become a part of your cat's life.

be well,

Andy
Old January 15th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

We've all been down this road and, you're right, it isn't easy. I lost my
baby almost a year ago and it still hurts. But you have to remember you are
doing what is right for him. Just enjoy the time that you have with him now
and try not to dwell on what may be coming. Make him feel special.

Sue

Old January 15th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

I'm really going to miss him.
He's a special guy. He was a stray that picked me to live with. One day,
years ago, he jumped into an open window, walked up to both my cats and
gave them each a smack, went to their food dish and ate and then curled up
to sleep in the cat house while I sat there with my mouth hanging open
wondering what the heck just happened. He basically said I live here now
and I'm the boss!

I can relate to this so much.Almost identical thing happened to our
Jasper @ the end of last year. I know that dread pit feeling & share
your sorrow with you;we all do!
As you said,"He chose you", & that was for a reason.
You have served him well and he know's it as well as you do.
Try not to feel guilty, It's such a futile emotion, believe me....
You will recover, & so will your Furry Friends too.Time is a magic
healer.I don't care what anyone say's, It is very true...

It's so hard to say good bye- It help's,& It's nice to get the chance
to believe me, & that is a big deal.
He wont be angry with you.Quite the opposite in fact.Try & share the
good time's whilst you can, with lots of lap time and snuggle's.
Sending lots of soothing purr's In your time of need....
S.

Euthanize or don't? Marty Cat rescue 1 October 7th 03 09:22 AM
I have to decide to euthanize my cat kspitfire Cat health & behaviour 33 September 19th 03 12:31 AM
Stray Cats - Spay/Neuter or Euthanize Arjun Ray Cat health & behaviour 7 August 14th 03 05:00 AM
Hard to write, harder to decide PawsForThought Cat health & behaviour 17 July 26th 03 07:58 AM