My kitten

Old February 11th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AMANDA15

Default My kitten

I have 5 month old male kitten and a 1 year male cat. I have been very
lucky because both of my cats get along great. The problem I have been
having with my kitten is that I can not get him to stay off my kitchen
counters. I have tryed spraying him with water when I see him on the
counters. I have also tryed aluminum foil that didn't work either.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Old February 11th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Try placing carpet runner with the "prong" side up along the counter. This
can be purchased in a hardware store. Cats hate to walk on it.
Gail
oups.com...

Old February 11th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

Gail wrote:

Try placing carpet runner with the "prong" side up along the counter. This
can be purchased in a hardware store. Cats hate to walk on it.
Gail
"AMANDA15" wrote in message
roups.com...

I have 5 month old male kitten and a 1 year male cat. I have been very
lucky because both of my cats get along great. The problem I have been
having with my kitten is that I can not get him to stay off my kitchen
counters. I have tryed spraying him with water when I see him on the
counters. I have also tryed aluminum foil that didn't work either.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Cats also hate the smell of citrus. Cleaning your countertops with
citrus-scented cleansers or spraying citrus-scented cat repellent around
the area might work.

Old February 12th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Captain Bob

On 10 Feb 2007 18:39:11 -0800
"AMANDA15" wrote:

The problem I have been having with my kitten is that I can not get
him to stay off my kitchen counters.

Cats LOVE high places. Jumping high and looking down for prey is a
normal healthy cat behavior.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Get used to and accept your cat's natural instincts?

Bob

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Motor Vessel Tamara B

Old February 13th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 11 Feb, 02:39, "AMANDA15" wrote:
I have 5 month old male kitten and a 1 year male cat. I have been very
lucky because both of my cats get along great. The problem I have been
having with my kitten is that I can not get him to stay off my kitchen
counters. I have tryed spraying him with water when I see him on the
counters. I have also tryed aluminum foil that didn't work either.
Anybody have any suggestions?

why do you want him off your kitchens counters? only reason to get so
worked up would be if you have a ceramic hob which stays hot after you
switch it off and he may accidentally walk on it and burn his delicate
little paws, other than that I don't see what the problem is.

is it that your kitchen counters are not good enough for you kitten to
walk on, is that your concern? too hard or rough? maybe you could get
them carpetted for his comfort, that's what I would do. Is it that you
worry he may hurt himself jumping down from them? don't worry , cats
are very agile and he will land safely, but if you are concerned you
could try building a small series of steps for his convenience to help
him climb down.
I am sure he will be fine, after all if he doesn't get up on your
kitchen counters how else is he supposed to supervise you when you
make dinner? he has to make sure his food is prepared correctly.

still not sure what the exact problem here is, if you could be more
specific that might help

bookie

Old February 13th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

Actually bookie most people tend to not like their cats walking around on
their kitchen counters. My cats do walk around on my counters, but I do not
cook. If I did cook, I cannot imagine I would want them on the counters
being that they walk around in their litter boxes, hence fecal matter on the
counters.

As far as keeping the kitten off of the counter, I think it is a tough job to
accomplish unfortunately. I know that my parents' cat stayS off of the
counter and all my mom does is squirt him with water when he even lays too
close to the counters. But, who knows what he does when they are not home
Also, cleaning the counters with a citrus cleaner is a good idea. I have
heard that they do not like that scent. Good luck!

Old February 13th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 02:46:34 +0000, MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:

Actually bookie most people tend to not like their cats walking around
on their kitchen counters. My cats do walk around on my counters, but I
do not cook. If I did cook, I cannot imagine I would want them on the
counters being that they walk around in their litter boxes, hence fecal
matter on the counters.

Of course. Bookie is being ridiculous. Aside from the matter of kitchen
hygiene, counter tops may have objects sitting on them that will break if
the cat knocks them off, such as cookie jars and sugar bowls.

My cat used to get up on the counter, but I patiently removed
him and deposited him on the floor every time I caught him at it, and
over time he stopped doing it for the most part. He still does it once
in awhile, right in front of me, and I think it is a ploy for attention.

Charlie
Old February 13th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

On Feb 12, 10:30 pm, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:

My cat used to get up on the counter, but I patiently removed
him and deposited him on the floor every time I caught him at it, and
over time he stopped doing it for the most part. He still does it once
in awhile, right in front of me, and I think it is a ploy for attention.

Charlie

Morning.

This says alot about cats selective amnesia and their ability to
understand us.

They may not speak english, but remember, a king rules with the look
in his eye.

Barry

Old February 13th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 13 Feb, 03:30, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 02:46:34 +0000, MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
Actually bookie most people tend to not like their cats walking around
on their kitchen counters. My cats do walk around on my counters, but I
do not cook. If I did cook, I cannot imagine I would want them on the
counters being that they walk around in their litter boxes, hence fecal
matter on the counters.

Of course. Bookie is being ridiculous.

not really, I couldn't careless if my cat walked over my kitchen tops
as before I used them to prepare food on I alwasy wipe them down with
milton sterilizing fluid and/or use a proper chopping board so bugs
and things are not an issue. Also I was nto wrapped up in cotton wool
and kept in a hermetically sealed bubble as a child by my mother and
was readily exposed to dirt and germs from a young age and therefore
my immune sytem is nice and strong as a result.

what i was trying to point out by using subtle sarcastic tones (I keep
forgetting that yanks do not get sarcasm, almost like the whole nation
has aspergers syndrome) that (a) cats do what they want and you cannot
train them, in fact I think that really they train you (b) i am so
bored of people who are so precious about their homes and furnishings
but still want a cat to provide companionship but on the human's terms
which blatantly does not work. Why can't these people just unclench
their buttocks for once and relax about cats on their sofas, a few
hairs on their clothes, a couple of scratch marks on a table leg and
just enjoy the company of a beautiful free thinking creature in all
it's glory.

get your kitten a cat gym or put up some shelves in the kitchen which
you won;t get so worked up about him climbing up, he is an active
little fellow and he wants to be involved in everything you do so let
him do some climbing. otherwise get a goldfish

bookie

Old February 13th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

wrote:
My cat used to get up on the counter, but I patiently removed
him and deposited him on the floor every time I caught him at it, and
over time he stopped doing it for the most part. He still does it once
in awhile, right in front of me, and I think it is a ploy for attention.

Charlie

Morning.

This says a lot about cats selective amnesia and their ability to
understand us.

They may not speak english, but remember, a king rules with the look
in his eye.

Barry

Lol counters, going back to sarky English women!!
I have a personal one for tiggy, but that was because she kept
insisting that she could help herself to diner whilst it was
cooking...how that cat didn't burn her mouth, only she knows...? So we
built her her own personal one.
there is a lot to be said for squeezing fresh lemons all over the
tops that you don't want them to frequent though..it certainly worked
for Tiggy!
Alot to be said for water pistols & angry eye too
Lots of good advice here.....
Have you tried marbles and jars, they are quite effective too as it
frightens the hell out of them without hurting them
S;o)