Night Yeowls

Old February 12th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peg Caldwell Ott

Default Night Yeowls

Our 15 year old (16 in May) seal point Siamese, Amaretto, has
developed a new habit that concerns us. He suddenly wakes up in the
middle of the night (usually about 3 or 4 am) and YEOWLS at the top of
his lungs for about 2 minutes. He started doing this just this past
Friday. The first and second times, I jumped up and immediately went
over to his sleeping spot to comfort him, thinking that he was perhaps
sick or in pain, or upset by something. Amaretto now prefers to sleep
on a new "day bed" that we purchased for both boys at Christmas
time--very comfy for both boys in the day when we put it on top of our
bed, and extra comfy for Amaretto at night (when we put it on the
floor next to our closet), where he can cuddle with his blankets and
toys while his brother prefers to sleep either with us or in his
heated round bed. On both occasions, Amaretto continued to YEOWL for
another minute or so and then settled back down and went back to
sleep. Last night, he did it again, and I did not go over to comfort
him, just to see what would happen. Sure enough, the noise stopped
just as suddenly as it began, and he settled back down and went back
to sleep. He does not display any other odd behaviors--at least not
odd for him! He is Diabetic (has been for 9 years) and has been on PZI
Insulin for the past year, which keeps him more stable than the
Humulin L ever did! He has a good appetite and never refuses food or
fresh water. The vet had us start adding a quarter Pepcid A/C pill
(crushed) to his food last summer, along with Cosequin vitamin powder,
but Amaretto has no problem eating the "spiked" food now as before. He
has never been a vocal cat--in fact, he has been exceptionally quiet
throughout his life. All of his other behaviors are perfectly
normal--for him. If I didn't know better, I'd think he was having a
nightmare!!

Any thoughts or ideas?

TIA!

PegNDerek
www.pegndereksnorkeling.com

Old February 12th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Peg Caldwell Ott" wrote in message

Our 15 year old (16 in May) seal point Siamese, Amaretto, has
developed a new habit that concerns us. He suddenly wakes up in the
middle of the night (usually about 3 or 4 am) and YEOWLS at the top of
his lungs for about 2 minutes.

Symptom of hyperthyroid, deafness, and/or the onset of kitty senility.
Vet visit, pronto. If it is hyperT and it is untreated, Amaretto could
have a stroke. If he is deaf, you need to know. If he is getting senile,
you need to reassure him.

Old February 13th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:26:17 -0500, Peg Caldwell Ott wrote:

[...]

Yes, he is probably dreaming. One night (long ago) my Siamese (RB16) woke
up spitting and growling like she was in a cat fight. I quickly turned on
the light -- she looked around, decided it was a dream and settled down
again.

Old February 13th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Feb 12, 4:53 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"Peg Caldwell Ott" wrote in messagenews:kbp1t299v5fhdvnlh5fhd080voqevrb1s6@4ax .com...

Our 15 year old (16 in May) seal point Siamese, Amaretto, has
developed a new habit that concerns us. He suddenly wakes up in the
middle of the night (usually about 3 or 4 am) and YEOWLS at the top of
his lungs for about 2 minutes.

Symptom of hyperthyroid, deafness, and/or the onset of kitty senility.
Vet visit, pronto. If it is hyperT and it is untreated, Amaretto could
have a stroke. If he is deaf, you need to know. If he is getting senile,
you need to reassure him.

I second this. If he has senility and begins to develop other problems
(such as forgetting to use the litterbox), your vet can prescribe an
anti-depressant. My parent's cat went through this and the meds helped
her greatly.

Old February 13th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 13 Feb, 15:31, "Rene S." wrote:
On Feb 12, 4:53 pm, "cybercat" wrote:

"Peg Caldwell Ott" wrote in messagenews:kbp1t299v5fhdvnlh5fhd080voqevrb1s6@4ax .com...

Our 15 year old (16 in May) seal point Siamese, Amaretto, has
developed a new habit that concerns us. He suddenly wakes up in the
middle of the night (usually about 3 or 4 am) and YEOWLS at the top of
his lungs for about 2 minutes.

Symptom of hyperthyroid, deafness, and/or the onset of kitty senility.
Vet visit, pronto. If it is hyperT and it is untreated, Amaretto could
have a stroke. If he is deaf, you need to know. If he is getting senile,
you need to reassure him.

I second this. If he has senility and begins to develop other problems
(such as forgetting to use the litterbox), your vet can prescribe an
anti-depressant. My parent's cat went through this and the meds helped
her greatly.

Good Luck, these things are never easy...S.

Chester at night Susan M Cat anecdotes 0 October 9th 05 06:13 PM
It was a three cat night. (Groan) Bill Stock Cat anecdotes 8 October 9th 05 05:19 PM
What to do at night Nick Kasoff Cat health & behaviour 4 October 3rd 05 10:15 PM
Cold night wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX Cat anecdotes 6 September 25th 03 09:27 PM
Vera & Lola Bath Night......... Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 2 August 12th 03 01:01 PM