Lion cut for long-haired cats

Old February 24th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Chris

Default Lion cut for long-haired cats

Lion cut for long-haired cats

How is it done?
Who does it? Vet? Groomer?
Does the cat have to be anaesthetised?
How often does it need to be done?
How much does it cost?
Does it prevent matting?
What else do I need to know?
--
Chris
Old February 24th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Lion cut for long-haired cats

How is it done?

http://www.thecatgallery.com/himalay...ls_page_8.html

Who does it? Vet? Groomer

Either--if you have him sedated I'd prefer the vet. At my vet they'll shave
them but don't make any promises as to aesthetic results! A groomer might
not want to deal with a hysterical cat but some will and you'd probably get
better looking results. I've shaved him (very difficult due to his
personality) and so has my vet but I live in a small town where groomers are
few and far between--and none of them really want to tackle a very cranky
cat.

Does the cat have to be anaesthetised?

Possibly--depends on personality of the cat. We had Clover shaved last year
during a dental procedure--he was already sedated and he's so hard to
handle. I'm not yet sure what we'll do this year. I don't know what
groomers typically do but I doubt that they use sedation.

How often does it need to be done?

Depends on why you're doing it. If for aesthetics only probably more often,
although I'd have a hard time justifying shaving them for just for the look.
I've shaved my curmudgeon at home (due to extreme hairballs) and had him
shaved at the vets and it lasted from April through the summer and into
fall. I don't shave him in the winter--the hairballs aren't so severe then.

How much does it cost?

Varies with what you have done and where you do it. In the link with the
pictures there's a breakdown of what it cost these people

Does it prevent matting?

Yes--no hair no matting.

What else do I need to know?

--
Chris

At least with my cat, once he gets over being mad at me for restraining him
he seems to like it just fine.

Have fun! Bonnie

Old February 25th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Some vets have groomers on staff. There is a vet near me that has a
groomer. You may want to check around to find a vet with a groomer if you
need to have the cat sedated but a good job done.

S.
"22brix" wrote in message

]...

Old February 25th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Lion cut for long-haired cats

How is it done?
Who does it? Vet? Groomer?
Does the cat have to be anaesthetised?
How often does it need to be done?
How much does it cost?
Does it prevent matting?
What else do I need to know?

--------------
I can only tell you about my experience. We had it done at the vet. My cat
did not require anesthesia. We have had it done only once (last spring), and
we will be having it done again in another month or so. (It takes a while
for the fur to grow back). It did get rid of all the knots and mats (which
are starting to reappear for the first time now - nearly a year later). It
cost around $20 or $30. FTR, the cat was not shaved (at least my cat
wasn't).. His fur was cut short with scissors. He looked very cute.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old February 25th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Feb 24, 8:20�am, Chris ] wrote:
Lion cut for long-haired cats

How is it done?
Who does it? *Vet? *Groomer?

Biskit's was done by the veterinarian's in-house groomer. She was
shaved, but not "bald." The groomer used clippers that left about 1/4
inch of hair.

Does the cat have to be anaesthetised?

She was. If your cat isn't accustomed to being groomed, she will have
to at least be sedated.

How often does it need to be done?

Hers grew back in about 4 months

How much does it cost?

IIRC, it was around $60, including sedation. Usually the vet mandates
that the cat be current on vaccinations (particularly rabies), and if
not, they'll require you do that, too.

Does it prevent matting?

Absolutely yes.

What else do I need to know?

If your kitty goes outdoors, don't do it. It leaves the cat very
vulnerable to sunburn, and he/she also loses the protection of the fur
if he/she gets into fights with other cats. We love it. Biskit has
fine, long hair that mats easily. She even *acts* like she thinks
she's quite pretty after a lion cut. I don't have her done in the
winter. Only in late spring.

HTH
Sherry
--
Chris

Old February 25th 07, 08:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Chris wrote:
Lion cut for long-haired cats

How is it done?

Usually cat is sedated and nails are trimmed. Groomer combs out fur
and then uses a shaver to shave the cat, leaving the mane and tufts on
the tail and paws.

Who does it? Vet? Groomer?

Groomer or vet tech.

Does the cat have to be anaesthetised?

95 percent of them need sedation.

How often does it need to be done?

If you comb your cat, never. If you don't comb your cat, every 4 to 6
months, or sooner..

How much does it cost?

Sedation can run $15-65 dollars depending on what is needed. Cut runs
about $25.00

Does it prevent matting?

No. Combing prevents matting.

What else do I need to know?

If you cat is severely matted, get a lion cut and ask that the mane be
cut short, and have the cat bathed. Then buy medium and fine-toothed
metal grooming combs and ask the groomer to show you how to comb the
cat. Comb the cat every day or every other day, and you will never
have to have it shaved again.

-L.
(former groomer)

Old February 25th 07, 08:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Chris wrote:
Lion cut for long-haired cats

How is it done?
Who does it? Vet? Groomer?
Does the cat have to be anaesthetised?
How often does it need to be done?
How much does it cost?
Does it prevent matting?
What else do I need to know?
--
Chris

By the way, if you have it done, ask that they use a #10 blade. This
will leave a short fur on the cat (about 1/4 inch or so).
-L.

Old February 25th 07, 08:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

cindys wrote:
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Lion cut for long-haired cats

How is it done?
Who does it? Vet? Groomer?
Does the cat have to be anaesthetised?
How often does it need to be done?
How much does it cost?
Does it prevent matting?
What else do I need to know?

--------------
I can only tell you about my experience. We had it done at the vet. My cat
did not require anesthesia. We have had it done only once (last spring), and
we will be having it done again in another month or so. (It takes a while
for the fur to grow back). It did get rid of all the knots and mats (which
are starting to reappear for the first time now - nearly a year later). It
cost around $20 or $30. FTR, the cat was not shaved (at least my cat
wasn't).. His fur was cut short with scissors.

That's extrememly unusual. Are you sure they just didn't use a shaver
that kept the fur longer? There is a #5 blade that keeps the fur at
about a half-inch, but it shaves the fur pretty unevenly. If your cat
had an even cut, it was probably shaved with an electric razor using a
#10 blade.

-L.

Old February 25th 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

On Feb 24, 9:20 am, Chris ] wrote:
Lion cut for long-haired cats

How is it done?
Who does it? Vet? Groomer?
Does the cat have to be anaesthetised?
How often does it need to be done?
How much does it cost?
Does it prevent matting?
What else do I need to know?
--
Chris

I dunno, but sounds GRAND.

Post pics!

#10 blade.

It could have been a shaver. I assumed they had used a scissors because the
fur was uneven, but I never asked specifically. You're probably right. But I
suspect they did use a scissors at least around his hind legs bacause I
don't think he would have tolerated someone's using a shaver back there.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.