Need help identifying growth on cat's paws

Old March 11th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
wmarcello

Default Need help identifying growth on cat's paws

Our cat Tux is just shy of a year old. For quite a few months now we
have noticed a claw-like growth on his paws. It doesn't seem to be
causing him pain, so we haven't been in a rush to take him to the
vet. However, it has been getting a little bigger over the months,
and one of the growths look like it has bled a little at one point or
another. Can anybody here identify it? Should we take him to the vet
right away or can we wait the month and just have it examined during
his 1-year checkup?

Pictures can be seen he

http://picasaweb.google.com/willrose...ey=eXWMinTGe9I

Old March 11th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:23:35 -0800, wmarcello wrote:

tp://picasaweb.google.com/willrose/TuxSFeet?authkey=eXWMinTGe9I

That is weird alright. It does look like misplaced claws.We shall be
interested in hearing what you find out. Best wishes. MLB
Old March 11th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
wmarcello

On Mar 11, 12:55 am, mlbriggs wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:23:35 -0800, wmarcello wrote:
tp://picasaweb.google.com/willrose/TuxSFeet?authkey=eXWMinTGe9I

That is weird alright. It does look like misplaced claws.We shall be
interested in hearing what you find out. Best wishes. MLB

They look like claws, but they don't retract. They feel more like
calloused or dead skin. He doesn't like us touching his feet, but he
still runs around and plays with his sister as if nothing is wrong.
I'll make sure to post what we find out.

Old March 11th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Giganews

"wmarcello" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our cat Tux is just shy of a year old. For quite a few months now we
have noticed a claw-like growth on his paws. It doesn't seem to be
causing him pain, so we haven't been in a rush to take him to the
vet. However, it has been getting a little bigger over the months,
and one of the growths look like it has bled a little at one point or
another. Can anybody here identify it?

Not me.

Should we take him to the vet
right away or can we wait the month and just have it examined during
his 1-year checkup?

It's totally your call. No one in a ng is in a position to really help you.

When it comes to me ,my cat and problems, I seek the opinion of my vet.

Best wishes to your cat!

Old March 11th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sun, 11 Mar 2007 03:23:35 GMT, "wmarcello" wrote:

Our cat Tux is just shy of a year old. For quite a few months now we
have noticed a claw-like growth on his paws. It doesn't seem to be
causing him pain, so we haven't been in a rush to take him to the
vet. However, it has been getting a little bigger over the months,
and one of the growths look like it has bled a little at one point or
another. Can anybody here identify it? Should we take him to the vet
right away or can we wait the month and just have it examined during
his 1-year checkup?

Pictures can be seen he

http://picasaweb.google.com/willrose...ey=eXWMinTGe9I

No idea what that is. Why not move his annual exam up a few weeks?
Personally, I'd be taking my cat into the vet right away.

--
Lynne
Old March 11th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Grawun

On Mar 11, 1:23 am, "wmarcello" wrote:
Our cat Tux is just shy of a year old. For quite a few months now we
have noticed a claw-like growth on his paws. It doesn't seem to be
causing him pain, so we haven't been in a rush to take him to the
vet. However, it has been getting a little bigger over the months,
and one of the growths look like it has bled a little at one point or
another. Can anybody here identify it? Should we take him to the vet
right away or can we wait the month and just have it examined during
his 1-year checkup?

Pictures can be seen he

http://picasaweb.google.com/willrose...ey=eXWMinTGe9I

My cat has those things on her toes also. I had never seen them on
another cat. They appear to be callusy growths . I hope you will let
us know what the vet says. I have never asked about it.

Old March 11th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
wmarcello

On Mar 11, 12:23 am, "wmarcello" wrote:

Can anybody here identify it?

Pictures can be seen he
http://picasaweb.google.com/willrose...ey=eXWMinTGe9I

I got an email reply earlier today that I will post for the sake of
sharing.
I'm glad it's nothing very serious, although the risk
of infection should be taken into account. I'll contact my vet
sometime this week, and if nothing else I'll ask for advice before his
yearly checkup.

"Hi,

Here is a site with some info: http://www.messybeast.com/horned-paws.htm
..
One of my kitties has these and as per my vet, they are simple
"keratinous
growths" (keratin is a protein and one of the primary building blocks
of
nails, skin, and horny tissue). I clip the tip of my cat's nails
regularly,
so it's easy to be keep an eye on these and make sure they don't get
too
long. These little "protrusions" are softer than the regular nails and
when
they get long enough to gently pull up from the pads, I clip the tips
shorten them. Otherwise, when they are short and very near the pad and
cannot "lift" them from the pad to clip them, I leave them alone as I
never
want to risk nicking the pad.

From your photos (excellent idea to post them), some of Tux's growths

do
look fairly long and I assume that he may have snagged one of them and
ripped a bit of the pad. Make sure the cut doesn't get infected. I
would
clip the tips if you are comfortable doing that. If you are at all
apprehensive, let your vet do it and show you how. Unless they are
bothering
Tux in any way or long enough to "click" on the floor or growing into
the
pads or you see more cuts or infection, I would wait until your next
vet
visit.

Hope this helps."

Old March 12th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zinzee

Very good information to have! I would definitely take the e-mailer's
advice and have the vet show you how to clip them before you do it for the
first time. The more you touch your boy's feet, the more comfortable he
will be.

My kitty had runny eye due to herpes. The vet asked that I put ointment in
his eye twice a day to keep any secondary infection from arising. The
process was to put the ointment in and blink his eye a few times. He
totally trusts me but I know I wouldn't be comfortable with someone doing
that to me. I gave him a Greenie treat (his favorite) after each time I did
it. Soon, rather than running off of my lap he stayed and waited for his
treat.

I think it would be a good idea to make an appointment with your vet within
the next week. It won't hurt to have his yearly check up a few weeks early,
if for nothing more than peace of mind.

Oh, and kudos for taking the kitties to their yearly exam, anyhow! Too many
people only take their animals when there's something wrong, if even that!
Good luck and keep us posted.

All the best,
Heather

oups.com...

.
One of my kitties has these and as per my vet, they are simple
"keratinous
growths" (keratin is a protein and one of the primary building blocks
of
nails, skin, and horny tissue). I clip the tip of my cat's nails
regularly,
so it's easy to be keep an eye on these and make sure they don't get
too
long. These little "protrusions" are softer than the regular nails and
when
they get long enough to gently pull up from the pads, I clip the tips
shorten them. Otherwise, when they are short and very near the pad and
cannot "lift" them from the pad to clip them, I leave them alone as I
never
want to risk nicking the pad.

From your photos (excellent idea to post them), some of Tux's growths

Old March 12th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

wmarcello wrote:
Our cat Tux is just shy of a year old. For quite a few months now we
have noticed a claw-like growth on his paws. It doesn't seem to be
causing him pain, so we haven't been in a rush to take him to the
vet. However, it has been getting a little bigger over the months,
and one of the growths look like it has bled a little at one point or
another. Can anybody here identify it? Should we take him to the vet
right away or can we wait the month and just have it examined during
his 1-year checkup?

Pictures can be seen he

http://picasaweb.google.com/willrose...ey=eXWMinTGe9I

They are just little skin growths much like a callous or wart. They
can be safely snipped off with a pair of claw clippers.

-L.

cat's ear growth kevt Cat health & behaviour 3 November 16th 05 02:15 PM
Maxi's bone growth Chuck Cat health & behaviour 2 October 19th 05 07:54 PM
Mere growth Marina Cat anecdotes 7 May 8th 05 10:35 PM
Black growth Art Kallner Jr. Cat health & behaviour 20 September 11th 04 01:19 AM
growth on kitty Franki Pearson Cat health & behaviour 4 July 2nd 03 08:48 PM