Confusion & Neutered males

Old March 14th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default Confusion & Neutered males

I was talking to someone in the group yesterday who asked me to clear
up a little confusion regarding my ex breeding cats. The enquirer was
asking which cats were spayed and neutered, & which ones were not. I
had told you that we were giving up breeding a week or so prior to
that If I remember rightly ( I am sure it must all be archived?)

I will try and clear the confusion up for you if I can.

Both of the boys, Biffy the Blue point Birman & Tazy, the seal point
Ragdoll, were neutered on the 2nd of Feb, & we had both Lilly the seal
point Birman, & Tiggy the tabby seal point Birman, booked in to be
spayed on the the 5th Feb.
Unfortunately, we had a call to say that the vet had been called out
on an emergency early in the morning, & we were asked to reschedule.
I arranged to take them back on the 9th of February....

In between time, Blue - Belle, our Blue point Ragdoll, had her kittens
on the 4th of Feb, & she had 4 healthy kittens, which we thought was
going to be our final litter.
I was looking forward to rearing them for one last time (I have to be
honest..), & we did enjoy having them, until on the 6th, we noticed
that Lilly the seal point Birman queen, was looking a bit grey around
the gills. I called the vet that day immediately, & asked to take her
if I could bring Lilly down to which the vet agreed....

It turned out that poor little Lilly had Pyometra, & URI!! She was
terribly ill, & I gave consent for her womb to be removed. Thankfully
after a terrible week @ the vets, we got her through it & she came
home.
On the 13 Feb, we discovered that all of our cats except Tiggy, were
all very poorly with Fcv. It was a terrible time to live through! This
of course is cutting a very long story short. Lilly was not treated
very well@ our original surgery, so we had her moved

Because of of all of the other issues (Lilly being ill, & Blue -Belle
having her kittens), I put off the spaying Tiggy, because I wasn't
happy with our vet that treated Lilly in all the time that she was
there..

It was our intention to have her done when we booked in with the new
vet that we took Lilly to after her Pyometra operation...
Again, fate hit us straight between the eye's, & we lost all 4 of
Blue- Belle's kittens to the Fcv.
It was a horrible thing to go through, & I will never forget it as
long as I live;o(

But we never got Tiggy there in time, because we discovered that
Tiggy, the seal point Tabby Birman, was indeed pregnant too, around
about the 20th of February. I had no idea that she was pregnant at the
time. It wasn't until around the 18th- 19th of Feb, that I picked her
up & realised that she had a podge on her, & realised that she was
indeed well and truely pregnant.

However, we did take Blue-Belle in to the new surgery where she was
spayed just over a week after her litter died. It was the best thing
to do I think. As soon as her litter died, Belle went into calling
again, & it was that, that made my mind up to have it done asap.

Because of the feline calicivirus, I had to remove Tiggy as fast as
possible to a host home where she could stay until she has her
kittens.
As I let you know in the earlier posting, Tiggy has settled down
nicely, & we are now all just waiting for her to have her litter of
kittens, who by my own calculations are due any time around now.
(shamefully, I have to go on guesswork & around my diary, because I
took my eye off the ball)

I know it must be rather confusing when I talk about our cats, because
there are so many of them...
So, I decided to make a small album of the breeding cats, so that you
can see who I am talking about when I tell you about the cats in
general.

The state of play currently, is that both of our males have been
neutered, & 2of the females out of three have been spayed as well..
which leaves only Tiggy to be spayed. Then all of our cats will have
been desexed.
I hope to get Tiggy spayed as soon as possible after her kittens go to
their new slaves homes

I very much hope that this clears up any confusion..
I feel so much better now knowing that I no longer have to worry about
seperating them all, & only allowing certain cats indoors @ certain
times.. iut was a real hassel & caused so much stress all the time
too.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheela...ExBreedingCats

S;o)

Old March 14th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:07:07 -0700, sheelagh wrote:

[...]

They really are beautiful cats. Purrs that they al remain well and
strong. MLB

Old March 14th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bar b me beeeyotch

Confusion & Neutered males?

Oops. Sorry. I thought this thread was about Barry.

Old March 14th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheela...ExBreedingCats

S;o)

They really are beautiful cats. Purrs that they al remain well and
strong. MLB- Hide quoted text -

I only posted this because I had a couple of people ask which ones
were, & which one's weren't spayed or neutered, then it occurred that
they might be the only ones that were thinking the same way;o)
It seemed easier to post it than email them
Thank you very much.

You have no idea how much that support means right now.
I desperately want to do it the right way, so any advice is helpful
too.
You only get the one chance to do it right, so that is why I am asking
advice as well
It is a difficult time trying to change their routine, and lifestyle
is a big change for them, & we want to make it as gentle & softly as
we can.

We have 7 cats in total if you include Lucy(fur!) & Ringo Star,..a
solid black girl & a big softy ginger tom too. The Moggies get on with
all of the cats now that we have had them for a while.

I just hope that we can get them all to get on with each other.
I would never consider letting them roam free, but it would be nice to
allow them to come out in the garden with me to do chores & catch some
rays in the summer if they wish to. Jasper our old fellow, who died a
few months ago, used to love coming out there to make sure that his
slave's weren't slacking, & play with us, right up until he got to
18yrs old, which was great to be honest;o)

The other reason for not allowing them to roam free, is that it is
quite normal for pure breeds to be stolen, which is sad, but I am not
willing to take that risk..Once they are gone, they are Gone... No
amount of micro chipping is going to bring them back to hearth or mat,
is it?!!!!
I would be gutted & knowing it was my own fault that allowed it to
happen will make me feel better about it. I try to cut a happy medium
by allowing them to wonder the garden if they wish to, or even the
meadow on the other side of the fence, but only if they are supervised
out there.....

I am glad that 4 out of the 5 ex breeders are done, because it means
so much less worry about which cat had to be put in each pen at
certain times of the month according to when each one calling. It was
a real headache!!
I will feel even better when the last one, Tiggy, our seal tabby point
Birman is done too.
Purrs received loud & clear gratefully, lol
S;o)

Old March 15th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:07:07 GMT, "sheelagh"
wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheela...ExBreedingCats

Sheelagh, your cats are STUNNING! I hope things go smoothly as everyone
adjusts to the new dynamics. I think patience will be the key.

--
Lynne
Old March 15th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bar b me beeeyotch

On Mar 14, 9:38 pm, Lynne wrote:
Sheelagh, your cats are STUNNING!

They'd have to be. The rest of her life is a bust.

Probably the only things keeping her from suicide are kitties and her
keyboard.

Old March 15th 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Mar 14, 10:07�am, "sheelagh" wrote:
[...]

Wow... You have waaaay too much time on your hands. Besides... nobody
gives a rat'z azz about your personal stuff...

IBen Getiner

Old March 15th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On Mar 14, 11:07 am, "sheelagh" wrote:
[...]

Sheelagh, you have exceptionally beautiful cats, and how well cared-
for they are just glows off of them.

Lis

Old March 16th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Wed 14 Mar 2007 11:07:07a, sheelagh wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

I very much hope that this clears up any confusion..
I feel so much better now knowing that I no longer have to worry
about seperating them all, & only allowing certain cats indoors
@ certain times.. iut was a real hassel & caused so much stress
all the time too.

While your cats are very beautiful, I'm glad you're done breeding.
What I don't fully understand is about Tiggy. You say you had no idea
she was pregnant. Did you think it was possible she was? ie, that
she'd been with a male while in heat? I don't know anything about
breeding other than from what a friend of mine tells me about her
poodles that she breeds, and how hard it is to keep the males from
the females when they're in heat and it isn't optimal for a litter.

--
Cheryl

Old March 16th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 16 Mar, 01:19, Cheryl wrote:
On Wed 14 Mar 2007 11:07:07a, sheelagh wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

I very much hope that this clears up any confusion..
I feel so much better now knowing that I no longer have to worry
about separating them all, & only allowing certain cats indoors
@ certain times.. it was a real hassle & caused so much stress
all the time too.

While your cats are very beautiful, I'm glad you're done breeding.

Me too Cheryl. Anyone who manages to make a quick buck( As I believe
you would say in the USA?), or a quick quid, certainly hasn't
explained how to me, as yet!!

What I don't fully understand is about Tiggy. You say you had no idea
she was pregnant. Did you think it was possible she was?

Frankly, No!

I am not sure if you remember me when I first came to the group asking
for advice about a female that had small scabs on her torso? The only
way that I was able to keep on top of it @ the time, was to comb her
through every day, & I was asking if anyone knew what it might
be...Loads of people came straight back to me on that one, including
Meee, advising that it might be Ringworm...!!

I took her to the vet the following day., & got him to take a look @
her under a woods lamp, & Bingo.. everyone was spot on & we were given
oodles of Sporal D to use..

Anyway, the point is that we only got her last September, So I had
never heard her call before, & I expected her to sound/ or be similar
to the other 2 females that we had, who both scream the neighborhood
down when they are in call. I also have an *extremely reliable* (Har
Har, not) barometer who lets me know when there is even the sniff of a
female within a mile radius in call, called Tazy, my seal point
Ragdoll male...
( feels kind of strange not referring to him as the Rag stud
anymore.. but nice too)

And I didn't suspect a thing....!!!!

I put her out with Biffy, because she gets on well with him & there
didn't appear to be any reason not to leave her out there to enjoy the
unseasonably warm weather, because she cried to go out there. As she
had given me no reason not to, I didn't see the harm @ the time...
(talk about live and learn!!...;o(

I didn't see/hear *any sexual activity*, & it seemed a wiser choice
than Taz,
& the other girls, because they were picking on her slightly, indoors
& also out in the girly pad too....
Normally, when one of the girls is in heat, everyone in a quarter mile
radius knows about it, which is why it was such a surprise...
( I am lucky enough to have very indulgent neighbors, which is most
fortuitous really).
I think they are kind because they love to come & visit the cats, &
the kittens too, when we had litters "o"

ie, that
she'd been with a male while in heat? I don't know anything about
breeding other than from what a friend of mine tells me about her
poodles that she breeds, and how hard it is to keep the males from
the females when they're in heat and it isn't optimal for a litter.
Cheryl

It was very hard to keep any of the males away from the females when
they were in season, & that was the reason why we kept the runs out
there. To segregate mating pairs, a sick wing, & also girls condo, I
think you could call it, lol;o)

Tiggy will also be spayed just as soon as her litter finishes breast
feeding.
Over in the UK, we have a charity called the cat protection league,
who actively promote spaying & neutering. They have very kindly given
me a voucher that I can take down to the Vet Surgery & it entitles me
to half price spaying, so I intend to make good use of it when the
time comes.
I do some work for them, & I am also on a low income, so they help
most people in my financial position...

Going back to an earlier thread that we all debated recently all about
Kitten farming,
( I think you refer to it as kitten milling..?)
I can only think that they MUST cut *every* corner possible, because I
was lucky to break even on my kittens.

On an average litter of 4-5 kittens, occasionally I would get a litter
that allowed me to make a small profit, but generally ,I found myself
struggling to pay my vet fee's most of the time.
S;o)