Do late neuered males ever stop marking territory

Old March 14th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default Do late neuered males ever stop marking territory

I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to ever stop an
older neutered/later nuetered cat to stop spraying his territory, &
reduce his hostility towards other male cats?

Since neutering our Male's last month, we have been thinking about
bringing our ex - stud cats indoors like we did before they became
sexually active.

However, we are a little apprehensive about it because obviously we
don't know what the reaction is going to be. We don't want to create a
fighting arena, but it would be wonderful if we could bring them in
occasionally, to mingle with the rest of the family.

Obviously, we don't have to bring them both in at the same time....
I would try some of the introduction techniques that I have seen
posted on this site to start with, & see where it leads to.

I started the whole process yesterday, by taking the dividing wall
between their pens down, & replaced it with a galvanized mesh to
start, so that they can see & smell one another. So far, it has been
quite successful. No puffing (Birmans seem to huff and puff rather
than hiss and spit?!!) from Biffy, & no hissing from Tazy
either ,which is quite encouraging...But I don't want to push my
luck!!

Tazy (4yrs), our seal Rag is a genuinely softy puss cat, & would allow
you to dangle him over your shoulders, so I have positive feelings
that there might be hope for him. Also, he used to be an indoor cat
only, so he has some knowledge of what it is like to be an indoor cat,
& also visits inside now and again

Biffy, is a different kettle of fish...

Biffy is a Blue Birman, & he is slightly younger than Taz @ 3 years
old. He was kept indoors until he became sexually active as well, & we
still allow both of them to come in occasionally, for petting & loves
of course...
But we have never let them in @ the same time, & we have always put
stud pants on them too, so that they don't destroy the house and
furniture whilst they are in here. I know that it is a natural thing
for them to do, but it is a pretty dreadful whif, isn't it? They don't
think a great deal of the pants, but they are a bit of a nessacery
evil

( It also keeps the visits a good experience, rather than memorably
bad experiences...!!!)

We were just wondering if there is anything that we can do to allow
them both indoors a bit more often at the same time, so that we can
take the cat pens down & sell them all, bar two, which I intend to
keep in case we need it for any reason.

(rescue cats, sick ones, & outside pleasure for the girls in the
summer, ect)

If it is not possible, I guess that we will have to keep their pens, &
continue life the way it is now.
It would be such a shame though, because both of the boys are really
nice boys.
Neither of them seem to have a problem with Ringo Supa Star, nor he
with either of them...
(mind you, who wouldn't get on with him, lol?)

So I am hoping that given time that they might accept each other, as
long as we take it slowly & one step @ a time?

I would be grateful for advice from anyone about the male cats if
possible please?

The girls seem to a completely different issue altogether....
Belle is the matriarch, & the other two girls, Tiggy & Lilly, defer
to her, but they all get along very well, including Lucy(fur!) too...
Thanks,
S;o)

Old March 14th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
silvercelt

If it's only been a month, may be bit soon. We say except a change in
few months.

Old March 14th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 14 Mar, 18:11, "silvercelt" wrote:
If it's only been a month, may be bit soon. We say except a change in
few months.

I think that you could be right there.
I was just wondering if there was anything that we might be able to do
to help the males on this latest journey.

I didn't expect it to be any skip down the yellow brick road, OTOH, If
there is anything that I can activly do to help the process, I am
willing to give it a chance to work.

I would be most interested to hear anything that might hellp them
become part of the indoor extended family?
Thanks for the advice tho
S;o)

Old March 14th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

I got Ike (RB) when he was 9 years old. He had just been neutered
before I got him. He never sprayed or marked.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old March 15th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 14 Mar, 23:39, (---MIKE---) wrote:
I got Ike (RB) when he was 9 years old. He had just been neutered
before I got him. He never sprayed or marked.

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

That is wonderful news;o)
I think that the reason that mine do, is because they used to be
breeding cats, & it is all part of what they do to mark their
territory, as well as to let every cat within 5 miles know that they
were available and very willing indeed.
However, This is gradually slowing down as well as the calling @
night..........

I am hoping that with time, they might reduce the amount that they do
spray now, so that we can allow them indoors with us to be active
members of the family, rather than just the outside cats who used to
be breeding cats.

Also, there are two of them, so we need them to get along with each
other.
I removed the partition between them today, & although they can see
each other, there has been no hissing, raised hackles or huffing &
puffing, in Biffy's case
The deserve better than that & If I can make life more comfortable for
them, I will try almost anything if it might work, because we love
them both dearly...
S;o)

Old March 15th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article .com,
sheelagh wrote:
On 14 Mar, 23:39, (---MIKE---) wrote:
[...]

Does having more that one recent ex-Tomcat in the same space increase the
likelyhood of spraying?

I ask, because there's a stray in the area that I'm considering taking
in, but I can't do it if it's gonna turn into indoor chemical warfare.

Bubba was put in neutral before I got him, but the potential new guy
is still intact and has been willing to mix it up with other outdoor
cats that are a lot bigger than he is. He stops in for a spot of Bubba
chow every day or so and is way too friendly to be feral. I've been
considering taking him in to be fixed and get him his shots and a
lookover by the vet, but I'm not gonna start the bonding process
if I'm gonna have to ditch him later. He doesn't seem to be underfed
and a couple of my neighbors say he makes the rounds by their places
as well, but they are stocked up with indoor cats already.

He's a nice looking young longhair Tuxedo that caught the name
"Sylvester" from one of the neighbors.

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Sylvester01.jpg

I realize that individuals are hard to predict, but I'll settle for
generalities if anyone wants to comment.

Even though Bubba hates other cats, I've let them check each other
out through the door a few times and Bubba has gone from hissing
to indifference so I think they *might* get along OK, but I don't
know if I can handle a sprayfest..
Old March 15th 07, 10:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Mar 14, 11:31?am, "sheelagh" wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to ever stop an
older neutered/later nuetered cat to stop spraying his territory, &
reduce his hostility towards other male cats?

Being territorial it totally normal and natural for the male of any
species. Why would you want to see this behavior stopped? You act like
there was something wrong with it... Why is it that the first thing
you women want to do is to feminize the male? Make him into something
just like you. Something that you can understand better, I guess. Just
like you see territoriality as bad.. even alien behavior, you don't
understand the big picture and you never will. You see a toddler
becoming a boy and the first thing you want to do is to stick him on
Riddelin. You'd all breast feed your male children until they were 30
if society would let you get away with it.
Look... Do the entire world a big favor and stick to your needlework
and your baking... Things you have a harder time screwing up... No
offense, but that's just the way it was meant to be. Don't **** it up,
now.

IBen Getiner

Old March 15th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

IBen Getiner wrote:

[...]

This is dumb IB

and I got news for you, PUSSY RULES THE WORLD
don't forget it.

you mean, PUSSY WHIP THEM CATS? (not feminize, what I'm hearing is that
you'd prefer a big nasty dildo shoved up your ass)

You ain't gonna stop em. (These women)

and! what man among us does not desire to be pussy whipped!

You're a scalded nut!

Keep your bitter insane ideas to yourself.

Barry
Old March 15th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Does having more that one recent ex-Tomcat in the same space increase the
likelyhood of spraying?

I ask, because there's a stray in the area that I'm considering taking
in, but I can't do it if it's gonna turn into indoor chemical warfare.

I had three males. Two of them were whole toms & the third was a
neuter. I never had any trouble with the neuter spraying at all, but
the other two were mating cats, & did spray everything that they
possibly could. I have recently had both of the others done, & I have
been observing them ever since.
They still spray in their housing, but it is not quite so often as
before they were neutered.

I have been in a position that you describe though, & I found that
they didn't mark very often at all. On the few occasions that they did
mark, it was usually if they appeared threatened in some way. I know
that there is a product on the market that you can buy, that breaks
the enzymes down & completely masks the spray.
I believe it is a little expensive, but might be well worth the
investment if you intend to have both cats indoors.

I have a similar worry, chemical factory, but @ the same time, I
would love to bring both boys indoors again to be a part of the
family.

The reason a cat sprays is so that he can update the scent of himself
or mask others, so that any other cat who passes it, knows that there
is a resident cat
(ie: If one cat made a threat to the other, but this was very rare in
my experience.)
As long as there is nothing to respray, then I would think that there
is no reason to spray.

Have you actually seen the second cat spray before by any chance?

Bubba was put in neutral before I got him, but the potential new guy
is still intact and has been willing to mix it up with other outdoor
cats that are a lot bigger than he is. He stops in for a spot of Bubba
chow every day or so and is way too friendly to be feral. I've been
considering taking him in to be fixed and get him his shots and a
lookover by the vet, but I'm not gonna start the bonding process
if I'm gonna have to ditch him later. He doesn't seem to be underfed
and a couple of my neighbors say he makes the rounds by their places
as well, but they are stocked up with indoor cats already.

It might be an idea to trap & treat, then isolate him again for a
couple of weeks before considering their first meeting. There will be
an eye contest to see who is going to be the dominant cat, & possibly
a few hisses, but if you introduce them gradually, there is a good
chance that they will hit it off...
He's a nice looking young longhair Tuxedo that caught the name
"Sylvester" from one of the neighbors.

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Sylvester01.jpg

I realize that individuals are hard to predict, but I'll settle for
generalities if anyone wants to comment.

Even though Bubba hates other cats, I've let them check each other
out through the door a few times and Bubba has gone from hissing
to indifference so I think they *might* get along OK, but I don't
know if I can handle a sprayfest..- Hide quoted text -

If this is the case, I would adopt the softly softly approach.
Good luck with your feline friends
S;o)

Old March 15th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article . com,
sheelagh wrote:

[...]

Feliway?

I have a similar worry, chemical factory, but @ the same time, I
would love to bring both boys indoors again to be a part of the
family.

The reason a cat sprays is so that he can update the scent of himself
or mask others, so that any other cat who passes it, knows that there
is a resident cat

Yep, I know that.

(ie: If one cat made a threat to the other, but this was very rare in
my experience.)
As long as there is nothing to respray, then I would think that there
is no reason to spray.

Are the parts that get removed the parts that make the stuff
that they spray?

Have you actually seen the second cat spray before by any chance?

Oh yeah....

I've also seen him bolt across the yard and get in the face
of one of the other toms that was twice his size without hesitation.
I think he realizes that Bubba isn't any competition for the ladies.

Since I put in a catnip patch I've had all sorts of transient cats
in the yard.

My neighbors who wouldn't spay their female finally moved away
so that's cut down the attraction in the area a good bit.

[...]

Yeah, I've been kind of doing that thru the open door.

I won't have to trap. The outdoor guy is extremely tame
and friendly. Plus I've been feeding him when he comes around.

Bubba seems to have calmed down as far as hissing and growling,
and the outdoor guy has always been pretty mellow towards him.

Thanks for the advice...