Tiggy's kittens have arrived

Old March 16th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default Tiggy's kittens have arrived

I got a call earlier yesterday evening, to say that Karen thought
Tiggy was ready to deliver her kittens, so I went flying round there
in my sterile clothes & well washed hands too...

After a long labour (7ish hours!), Tiggy has safely delivered
4kittens.
The first one arrived @ 6pm GMT, & I started to get seriously worride
when nothing else happened by 5 hours later.
I have seen one prolonged labour, but had no idea what to expect of
Tiggy, because this was her first litter with us as her slaves.. ..

The last time I saw it, it was in a moggie called Angel that we
fostered for a lady who was in hospital around 3 years ago. She
delivered 3 kittens, the went for a bite to eat, & then outside to
relieve herself before sauntering back in to carry on having the rest
of the litter.. now that was shocking!!

I was on the verge of calling the vet out 5 hours later, when It
suddenly occurred to us that possibly it was because she was lacking
something familiar, so I went home & collected one of her blankets &
her big Igloo.

Twenty minutes later, the second arrived, very closely followed by the
third kitty...
Then we had another break of an hour before the fourth one arrived.

I know that Birmans are notoriously lazy mothers, but I was still
shocked to see how long it took for her to have them & the
encouragement that it took to get her to lick her kittens & take care
of the placenta's afterwards.

However, I do think that she was genuinely exhausted (who wouldn't
be...?!!)

3 kittens are of a similar size, but we do have a runt in the litter.
I really am hoping that between us, we will be able to care for little
one, & make sure that she / he makes it through.

We are hoping that with some rest & TLC, that she will be feeling a
bit sprightly today.
I intend to get the vet out to give her the once over, simply to put
my mind to rest & assure me that all is as it should be (I have never
seen a queen so exhausted after a litter before.)

More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.
S;o)

Old March 16th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

I am so glad I saw this before the weekend (I haven't been posting as much).
I can't wait for the pictures!! (When Amanda, my pregnant foster cat, gave
birth, she popped out all four kittens one right after the other with only a
few minutes between each one. If she had taken a five-hour break after the
first one, I would have assumed she was finished and missed the other
three). Again, congratulations!!
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

ups.com...

Old March 16th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 06:48:35 GMT, "sheelagh"
wrote:

More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.

Woo hoo! Congratulations!!

--
Lynne

Old March 16th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

wrote:
More news & photos to follow as soon as I get the chance to, or Karen,
Tiggy's foster mummy, has time to take some for us.

Woo hoo! Congratulations!!

--
Lynne

Thanks to both you & Cindy too.
I was living in pie in the sky when I wrote that posting I am
afraid;o(

We have hit snag no:1

Tiggy has a retained a bit of placenta, so we have handed her over to
the new vet so that she can put her on a drip called oxitocyn.
Apparently, it makes her womb contract again until she expells the
placenta. She has already been seen once & we are waiting for the next
one @ 6.30GMT

This is actually better news than I 1st thought, because I thought it
was it might be a still born kitty in the horns.. so there are
something to be grateful for, eh..?

I am told that this is not terribly uncommon, but that she will need
to be on some antibiotics to ensure that she doesn't develop an
infection of the womb because of any lurking bits of placenta....?

I really was starting to sweat. (I mean perspire of course, lol;o) ..@
the thought of another $700 bill.. but things are looking far more
optimistic now, thank the Lord!

All of the kittens are fine, warm, & feeding. Mummy is purring & has
pulled a blanket over her head because she likes it like that. (I just
went to go and have a look at her. She has also started to clean
herself too which is great as well.

I was beginning to feel really pessimistic this morning.. but things
are definately improving.
I was feeling down, because I rang the vet, & I felt that they were
not listening to me..(I guess they were, but I was feeling under
pressure after recent events

Initially, she wanted to have them in Karen's bed, lol.. but we had to
convince her that it might not be the best place to have them..
Finding her blanket & her igloo seemed to help out though. she wasn't
too fussed about the igloo, it was her blanky that she wanted.

We have one runt in the litter, but he / she is still latching on
firmly & feeding, so right now things "feel good". no fighting over
teats as there are plenty to go around them all.
I HAD TO Cut a couple of cords, because she was simply exhausted
towards the end.
Here goes, to all going according to plan..!!

Photos will follow shortly too. Karen has promised to take a few for
me, If I can't get round there until after she leaves to take her to
the vets... my car has a dead cell in the battery so she is going to
take her down for me, & I am hoping to cadge a lift later on with my
sister in law. I wil post them asap!¬
S;o)

Old March 16th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:26:44 GMT, "sheelagh"
wrote:

We have hit snag no:1

Tiggy has a retained a bit of placenta, so we have handed her over to
the new vet so that she can put her on a drip called oxitocyn.
Apparently, it makes her womb contract again until she expells the
placenta. She has already been seen once & we are waiting for the next
one @ 6.30GMT

Aw, that's unfortunate. The Oxitocyn will help make her uterus contract,
as will the suckling of the kitten. I hope everything comes out all right,
literally!!

--
Lynne
Old March 16th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:44:43 GMT, Lynne
wrote:

the suckling of the kitten

Of course I meant kittenS!!

--
Lynne
Old March 16th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 16 Mar, 15:05, "Marissa" wrote:
[...]

S;o)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks,
I happen to be a slave to not just Tiggy kitzholme, but also Biffy the
blue point Birman, Tazy, seal Ragdoll mitted, Blue -Belle, blue
Ragdoll mitted, Lucy(fur!!) & Ringo star too( not including our new
baby Kitty's too of course!!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheela...FELINEFAMILY02

Old March 16th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 23:48:35 -0700, sheelagh wrote:

[...]

Sending heartfelt purrs for the health and wellbeing of Tiggy and all of
her babes. They are lovely. MLB

Old March 16th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 16 Mar, 06:48, "sheelagh" wrote:
[...]

congrats, so all turned out ok in the end after all the trauma? i bet
that 'runt' is gong to be a right little tearaway in a wee while,
please post some photos when you can

best wishes, and purrs from my 2 tortie girls
bookie