is there an Antidote for Revolution? (fleas)

Old April 5th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Doug Bashford

Default is there an Antidote for Revolution? (fleas)

is there an Antidote for Revolution?
....or another equally good product?

Last time I used it, one of my 2 cats got
very sick. ...Nerve problems like drunkenness
and a cocked head for a week or so.
I thought she might die.
She had used it twice before, once a year, no problem.

I dont wanna use it again unless there is
an antidote.

If not, any suggestions? ...A good, easy product
for flea infestation? (fleas don't bother me personally)
We get fleas, bad, every Spring. Oddly, my cats hardly
ever scratch themselves.

Thanks!
--Doug

--

When one gains a political certainty akin to
a loyal sports fan, one has achieved the final

"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude better than
the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that ye were
our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams, August 1, 1776
Old April 6th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Doug Bashford" wrote in message
om...

is there an Antidote for Revolution?
...or another equally good product?

Last time I used it, one of my 2 cats got
very sick. ...Nerve problems like drunkenness
and a cocked head for a week or so.
I thought she might die.
She had used it twice before, once a year, no problem.

I dont wanna use it again unless there is
an antidote.

If not, any suggestions? ...A good, easy product
for flea infestation? (fleas don't bother me personally)
We get fleas, bad, every Spring. Oddly, my cats hardly
ever scratch themselves.

Thanks!
--Doug

My cats are indoor-only, and I rarely need to use flea medication. When I
do, I use Advantage. That has worked very well, with no problems.

I used Revolution *only once* and will never use it again. Duffy had an
immediate panic attack (the only time I have seen him react that way in the
years since I adopted him) when Revolution was applied, and Holly had a much
milder reaction.

MaryL

Old April 6th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Apr 6, 8:07 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
[...]

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Oooh. I hate to hear that. I just bought a 6-dose carton of it.
They'll probably (statistically anyway)...be fine. But I know how
scary a reaction is. My Cellie had a terrible reaction to
Frontline...a drooling panic attack like you described. He did fine
with Advantage, but after that, I *never* treated a cat for fleas on
the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.

Sherry

Old April 6th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:23:17 GMT, "Sherry" wrote:

He did fine
with Advantage, but after that, I *never* treated a cat for fleas on
the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.

I think that is a very good idea, and one that never occurred to me. I'm
going to take this same approach, because you just never know.

--
Lynne
Old April 6th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

ups.com...
wrote:
[...]

I had also bought a 6-pack, but the vet clinic refunded my money for the
remaining 4 doses. They also told me that the reaction I described was
unusual, but they had seen it before with Revolution.

One reason many people like Revolution is that it is "multi-purpose." My
opinion now is that we should not consider these multi-purpose medications
unless we *need* them. In other words, if fleas are the only problem, then
treat only for fleas. Of course, I do realize that *any* medication has the
potential to have an adverse effect on some cats (just as with people).

MaryL

Old April 6th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...

Oooh. I hate to hear that. I just bought a 6-dose carton of it.
They'll probably (statistically anyway)...be fine. But I know how
scary a reaction is. My Cellie had a terrible reaction to
Frontline...a drooling panic attack like you described. He did fine
with Advantage, but after that, I *never* treated a cat for fleas on
the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.

Sherry

Duffy's panic attack didn't involve drooling. He reacted in sheer terror.
He leaped straight up into the air, then began to run in circles at full
speed. Since he is blind, he ran into walls and furniture (in fact, bounced
off the walls) but was running so fast that I couldn't catch him for several
minutes. I was really afraid he was going to hurt himself. I have never
seen him become frightened and disoriented like that except for the one time
I used Revolution. He is usually a completely confident, alert little guy
who almost has a "sixth sense" to tell him where everything is. But not
that day! He did calm down quickly once I was able to get to him and hold
him in my arms.

MaryL

Old April 6th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Apr 6, 11:31 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

ups.com...

news:TeCdnTKEE9Vi44jbnZ2dnUVZ_qqrnZ2d@pghconnect .com...

[...]

Yes, the multi-purpose thing is the reason I bought it, instead of
Advantage which I usually use. Frank has tapeworms. I saw a segment on
the fur on his "back parts". I thought if he has them, the other may,
and since flea season isn't far away I'd just try to Revolution.

Sherry

Old April 6th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Apr 6, 9:31 am, Lynne wrote:
on Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:23:17 GMT, "Sherry" wrote:

He did fine
with Advantage, but after that, I *never* treated a cat for fleas on
the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.

I think that is a very good idea, and one that never occurred to me. I'm
going to take this same approach, because you just never know.

--
Lynne

I learned it the hard way. Once I took them to a late Friday p.m.
appointment for vaccinations. Yoda had an awful reaction a few hours
later, after they had closed for the weekend.
Sherry

Old April 10th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Doug Bashford

(repost, repaired NG list -sorry if dupe)

Thanks everybody! Verry good info!

This was my conclusion also:
I *never* treated a pet for fleas on
the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.

Yes! The feeling of helplessness otherwise is overpowering.

Advantage seems like it might be an improvement.
I'll see what the vet says.

==============excerpts:

Try Advantage or Frontline Plus. I've never used Revolution, but
I've never seen a bad reaction to Advantage or Frontline Plus in my

--------

=======
==========
==========

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 13:50:23 -0500, MaryL said about:
is there an Antidote for Revolution? (fleas)

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...

Oooh. I hate to hear that. I just bought a 6-dose carton of it.
They'll probably (statistically anyway)...be fine. But I know how
scary a reaction is. My Cellie had a terrible reaction to
Frontline...a drooling panic attack like you described. He did fine
with Advantage, but after that, I *never* treated a cat for fleas on
the weekend or after 6 p.m.--when the vet is closed.

Sherry

I dont think the term "panic attack" should be
used here. That has a specific meaning, and
is nothing like that. The description is much better.

People here (like me) are depending on acuracy.
depending depending depending !

My cat showed trouble keeping her feet for several days, was
less mal-cordination for week or so, and a cocked or tilted head for a
week or two. I felt utterly helpless to help.

All our symptopms sound to me like nerve problems.

As I recall ? Revolution is a neurotoxin, as are
the most deadly of military nerve gases and ag bug sprays.

I worked for years as a citrus farmer.
The idea of systemic toxins frightens me. ...turning
your pet into bug bait. I was seduced by
the ease and effectivness.

Gee, no free lunch?

Thanks again!

- Samuel Adams, August 1, 1776
Old April 10th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

I use the cheap Hartz stuff. Instead of applying the whole thing once
a month, I usually use a few drops a week. If I see ticks I put the
drop directly on the tick. It seems to work. My pussy sleeps with me
so if I get bitten I increase the dose.